Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance 30+ Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Delivered on August 26, 2020. Vin #42,xxx

There are 3 major issues that are very upsetting to me:
1. The glovebox rattles like crazy on every small bump
2. Every time I touch the brakes, the front callipers make a loud clunk/click noice
3. The rear motor makes a very high-pitch constant sound when driving 70 km/hr causing headaches on longer drives

When I picked up the car the delivery centre did not tell me the wipers were adjusted nor the driver door was adjusted. The right wiper blade doesn't make contact with the windshield and the driver door is sticking out from the passenger with a subtle dent on the door. I only found out after a week when I was told to make a service appointment through the app and noticed the app had an invoice already attached to the car.

Now the car is constantly failing to update and been noticing some strange glitches. For example, when getting into the car and tapping the brakes the main screen would display all the symbols and beep (starting beep) now sometimes this beep doesn't even happen. Also, when opening the dash cam viewer the entire screen glitches out and shows scattered images of the instrument cluster the car image cut in half all over for 4 seconds until the viewer for the footage starts.

This is the only car I have so a return wouldn't have been possible since it would take more than a month to get the full cash funds I paid back.

My question is, will service happily fix all these issues without hassle considering I paid so much for the car ($100K CAD). Can I demand a buy back if service doesn't work out? What are the resale values in the Teslas and the Model Y? I'm a first time Tesla owner and have been very disappointment both by the non-existant customer experience after sales and the sheer amount of problems I have to deal with for a new car.

Tesla Delivery Inspection.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: CarbonFree
A lot of your issues are reasonable, but I'd drop a few:

#15 - normal. You hear the stepper motors working.
#30 - That's what it sounds like, just like ICEs have their own noises.
#33 - you need clearly marked lanes for Autosteer to engage. Your video doesn't show lanes.

But with all others, best of luck! Get ready for some "within specs".

• Informative
Reactions: richyrich

#33 - you need clearly marked lanes for Autosteer to engage. Your video doesn't show lanes.

For #30 it's not normal. The first Y Per I had did not make this sound at all. I've read on another forum that this is not normal mind you this when going constant speed not accelerating.

Thanks for the reply.

• Informative
Reactions: CarbonFree
For #30 it's not normal. The first Y Per I had did not make this sound at all. I've read on another forum that this is not normal mind you this when going constant speed not accelerating.

Thanks for the reply.
I usually get a very mild hum at constant speeds, but nothing that ever bothered me. If you know for a fact that's not what it's supposed to sound like, then by all means, go for it.

In time, your organization with the issues is impressive, kudos!

Delivered on August 26, 2020. Vin #42,xxx

There are 3 major issues that are very upsetting to me:
1. The glovebox rattles like crazy on every small bump
2. Every time I touch the brakes, the front callipers make a loud clunk/click noice
3. The rear motor makes a very high-pitch constant sound when driving 70 km/hr causing headaches on longer drives

When I picked up the car the delivery centre did not tell me the wipers were adjusted nor the driver door was adjusted. The right wiper blade doesn't make contact with the windshield and the driver door is sticking out from the passenger with a subtle dent on the door. I only found out after a week when I was told to make a service appointment through the app and noticed the app had an invoice already attached to the car.

Now the car is constantly failing to update and been noticing some strange glitches. For example, when getting into the car and tapping the brakes the main screen would display all the symbols and beep (starting beep) now sometimes this beep doesn't even happen. Also, when opening the dash cam viewer the entire screen glitches out and shows scattered images of the instrument cluster the car image cut in half all over for 4 seconds until the viewer for the footage starts.

This is the only car I have so a return wouldn't have been possible since it would take more than a month to get the full cash funds I paid back.

My question is, will service happily fix all these issues without hassle considering I paid so much for the car ($100K CAD). Can I demand a buy back if service doesn't work out? What are the resale values in the Teslas and the Model Y? I'm a first time Tesla owner and have been very disappointment both by the non-existant customer experience after sales and the sheer amount of problems I have to deal with for a new car.

Tesla Delivery Inspection.pdf
You got Tesla’d.

They have your money, you’re outside the return window, no service for you.

You have me beat! I had 24 issues. Some pretty serious, like faulty modules and a broken taillight, and some pretty minor like broken trim pieces. My advice is try to fix as many as you can yourself and ignore the ones you can live with (I know, not something we should have to do with a car this expensive). A number of things Tesla tried to fix resulted in additional problems. The amount of broken or missing clips I have found from speedy repairs is amazing. They even snapped an electrical connector in half instead of simply unplugging it. I assume they're under the gun to move cars through service as quickly as possible and aren't taking their time with them. Although, this may also be unique to my service center (San Francisco).

With regards to fixing stuff yourself, many of the misaligned trim pieces probably just need to be pulled up and snapped back into place properly. Also, a good investment is a roll of felt tape to help tackle any rattles. The interior comes apart surprisingly easily and most of the guides for how to get to things exist already for the Model 3 which is so close in design they are pretty much interchangeable.

Anyway, sorry your car had so many issues from the factory. Unfortunately, that seems to be the norm at the moment. Hopefully they can make it all right.

That is some very thorough documentation. I am impressed. I recognized a few of those on my MY.

#18 particularly stood out because it just happened today. I did not put two and two together, that it only happens on bumpy roads, because it never happened before now. In hindsight, I was drive through a rough stretch of road when the window kept going back down. Perhaps its a design feature to prevent the window edge from damaging the trim?

#23 seems very common and always on the right side fender/headlight. Almost as if there is a slight defect in one of the factory stamps. The local SC worked on mine and got it mostly aligned, but it is still a little off.

I would disagree with you on #15 and #30. My mirrors are dead silent as are the drive motors. I mean if you listen hard on a quiet road I can hear the drive motors, but not something I notice on a day to day basis.

@GrizzlyDog Look for a thread regarding the motor noise - it's probably a couple of pages back, but another poster went through an extensive experience with Tesla service, and came back and posted the fix. Don't recall what it was. I believe there might have been a TSB for it as well.

Woah, it was delivered August 26, so it's been about 6 weeks now. Do you have an update on:
  • How many times have you been to the service center or had mobile service?
  • Any of these issues get resolved?

1. That sucks, looks like someone pushed down wrong, but that's just speculation. I'd imagine PDR (paintless dent repair) would be the best way to go here. Did Tesla end up fixing it?

2. Curious how Tesla replied, if I had to guess they would say it's within spec.

3. Had something similar on mine, they repaired with their paint chip kit.

4. Thats pretty unacceptable, trunk not latching is definitely not within spec (I'd imagine).

5. Seems like a duplicate of issue #4

6. Should be an easy swap of a new part.

7. That's odd, shouldn't be happening with brand new wipers. I'd wager they would just swap new blades in for you.

8. From what I understand the auto-wiper function is a pretty piss poor implementation, so this is to be expected.

9. Seems like a duplicate of #7

10. That is pretty lame, I imagine you just filled it up yourself?

11. I'd imagine some snap or something is out of alignment or not installed right?

12. That sucks, they should replace the handle when they repair the underlying issue.

13. All the time, or sometimes? If it's easily reproducible then they should be able to troubleshoot and resolve.

14. Under the car? No photo so can't tell =P

15. That's probably normal? unless it sounds like they are grinding coffee when they move

16. No idea

17. No idea, but that wouldn't be acceptable to me.

18. Mine has done that before too, but only when I'm trying to close the window. It's never come down on it's own if it's already fully closed.

19. Tesla gave me a free alignment to fix this, not perfect but I'll live with it until it's time for a tire change, then I'll get an alignment done at the best shop I can find.

20. That's odd.

21. Yeah that would be unacceptable for me.

22. Is that the door that's not aligned, or the wheel-well trim?

23. Ugh, that doesn't look acceptable to me. 50/50 if Tesla says it's within spec...

24 & 25. I guess it depends on how bad it is, and if it's causing any problems.

26. Eek. 50/50 if you can get them to replace it entirely...

27. That looks like a defect.

28. Yeah looks like a defect.

29. Hm... somethings catching there, not sure if they'll do anything though.

30. Yeah I haven't experienced this yet, would be my top priority to get Tesla to resolve though.

31. This happened on mine, Tesla ordered and installed a new spoiler.

32 & 33. Something wonky is happening there. Would be my number 2 issue for Tesla to resolve after #30