Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance acceleration 'maxed out' or room for improvement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me start by saying that I think the MYP is an amazingly fast vehicle - I test drove one and ordered it the very next day (would have been that night, but I had to get the wife onboard...)

That said, we know how Tesla is with its constant updating... usually without any warning. Eventually I imagine they'll increase its performance even more, perhaps after the 4680's have been released. This will, I imagine lead to a faster car if for no other reason than it won't weigh as much - certainly if they improve the motors.

However... what about the existing MYPs? Is there room left for Tesla to boost the performance with an over-the-air update, or are they pretty much tapped out?

If the Mustang Mach E GT Performance addition had run the 1/4 mile in 11.5 at 120 mph then Tesla would have come up with an update to improve performance... since the Mustang Mach E GT Performance was significantly slower than a model Y LR (non-performance) in the 1/4 mile I don't see any update to the acceleration of the MYP any time soon.

Keith

Reactions: voxel and Stook02ss
While it is likely technically feasible, my guess is they are leaving some dry powder for a Model Y Plaid down the road, so I'd be surprised to see something

After putting 3k miles on MYP, I am ready for the acceleration boost :). Now I am not sure if MYP +FSD was the better choice than the new LR model S.
Not gonna lie, I think I would have gone with the S lol

If you compare the models of Performance and non P dual motor, my guess is they are trying not to cannibalize each other through a hierarchy. They don’t want a MYP to beat a M3P even though a dyno shows it is possible. And no way they would allow the MYP to beat a MXP.
Well said. Hierarchy is the game. And therefore we will never see a Model Y Performance PLAID. IMHO PLAID will be reserved for the flagship S and X.
Although the MYP is remarkably fast for a vehicle as big as it is( 0 to 60 in 3..5 sec), the Model X PLAID is an amazing 6,000 lb machine that can catapult to 60 in 2.5 sec. I note that the Model X PLAID improved the time by 0.1 sec over my Raven which helped me set the World Record back then at 2.6, an 11.203 1/4 mile and 121.22 mph.

Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG
If you compare the models of Performance and non P dual motor, my guess is they are trying not to cannibalize each other through a hierarchy. They don’t want a MYP to beat a M3P even though a dyno shows it is possible. And no way they would allow the MYP to beat a MXP.
Agree, though I do think they have plenty of room to give when it comes to the MYP. Its competitors in the ICE world are knocking down 3.1-3.2 0-60. I don't think we need to crack that, but I do think that a new 4680 version should be able to at least rip off a 3.3 and 11.8 1/4.

I also think they'll improve the Model X and Model S base model 0-60 at some point.

I think the motor can do more but they probably won't due to increased wear on the axles and other power train parts. They would have to deal with more warranty claims, etc.

I could see the 4680 powered MYP having slightly higher output due to lower weight (less stress on the power train).

The S/X have beefier parts to handle the increased motor output.

I think the motor can do more but they probably won't due to increased wear on the axles and other power train parts. They would have to deal with more warranty claims, etc.

I could see the 4680 powered MYP having slightly higher output due to lower weight (less stress on the power train).

The S/X have beefier parts to handle the increased motor output.
They can tune the max power application if they want. They can keep it as is from a dig but make more from saying 30-35 on up, when there'd be less stress on the axles than at say during initial roll out. The bigger issue is heat. I do agree though that if they wanted they could make it faster just w/ the lower weight.

Another option is lightweight performance wheels. I doubt they'd go that route, but optional wheels for the Model Y could easily cut 0.1-0.3 seconds off the 0-60.