Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance car wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rims could be scratched by the track of an automatic car wash. Better to use the self wash bay at the car wash if this is an option or wash the Model Y at home.

Home washing:

1) Pressure washer + soap cannon. Use two buckets with a grit guard in the rinse bucket. Use a wash mitt and microfiber towels for drying. (This is my preferred method when it is not too cold.)

2) Rinseless wash using a product such as Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine. There are two primary methods when using the rinseless wash. Fill a bucket with ~2 gallons of fresh water and add the no rinse (approx. 2 capfulls). Make sure there is a good quality/designed grit guard in the bottom of the bucket. Mix up a small batch of the no rinse solution and fill a spray bottle. (Note: The no rinse cleaning method can also be used to clean the windows and the glass roof.)

Method #1 uses a cross cut sponge such as the Big Red Sponge or similar. Spray one panel and wait 30 seconds. Use the cross cut sponge and wipe in one direction (across or down). Turn sponge over and continue wiping sponge across panel. Wring out the sponge in the bucket. The dirt will be captured in the wash solution, settle to the bottom of the bucket below the grit guard. Dry the panel using a microfiber drying towel before moving to the next panel.

Method #2 uses a couple of dozen small microfiber wash cloths, changing the cloths frequently and for each new panel as you clean. Spray one panel and wait 30 seconds. Fold the towel in half or in quarters and wipe in one direction. Change to a clean section of the cloth and repeat. Place used cloths in a pile to be washed later. Dry the panel using a microfiber drying towel.

Note: Microfiber wash cloths and towels should never be exposed to heat. Heat will damage the microfibers ruining the absorbency of the cloth. Wash in cold water and hang to dry or use the air fluff cycle in the clothes dryer.

Close inspection of the cross cut sponge after use shows almost no dirt retained in the sponge. Organic particles such as seeds, tiny blades of grass can become embedded in the sponge. The microfiber cloths and towels will retain organic material such as seeds even after washing. These have to be carefully picked off of the cloth material after washing, drying.

I can stand being outside, using the pressure washer until early December as long as the temperature is above 55F. As it gets colder I use the no rinse method inside my garage (out of the wind) as long as the temperature is above 40F.

Last edited:
Rims could be scratched by the track of an automatic car wash. Better to use the self wash bay at the car wash if this is an option or wash the Model Y at home.

Home washing:

1) Pressure washer + soap cannon. Use two buckets with a grit guard in the rinse bucket. Use a wash mitt and microfiber towels for drying. (This is my preferred method when it is not too cold.)

2) Rinseless wash using a product such as Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine. There are two primary methods when using the rinseless wash. Fill a bucket with ~2 gallons of fresh water and add the no rinse (approx. 2 capfulls). Make sure there is a good quality/designed grit guard in the bottom of the bucket. Mix up a small batch of the no rinse solution and fill a spray bottle. (Note: The no rinse cleaning method can also be used to clean the windows and the glass roof.)

Method #1 uses a cross cut sponge such as the Big Red Sponge or similar. Spray one panel and wait 30 seconds. Use the cross cut sponge and wipe in one direction (across or down). Turn sponge over and continue wiping sponge across panel. Wring out the sponge in the bucket. The dirt will be captured in the wash solution, settle to the bottom of the bucket below the grit guard. Dry the panel using a microfiber drying towel before moving to the next panel.

Method #2 uses a couple of dozen small microfiber wash cloths, changing the cloths frequently and for each new panel as you clean. Spray one panel and wait 30 seconds. Fold the towel in half or in quarters and wipe in one direction. Change to a clean section of the cloth and repeat. Place used cloths in a pile to be washed later. Dry the panel using a microfiber drying towel.

Note: Microfiber wash cloths and towels should never be exposed to heat. Heat will damage the microfibers ruining the absorbency of the cloth. Wash in cold water and hang to dry or use the air fluff cycle in the clothes dryer.

Close inspection of the cross cut sponge after use shows almost no dirt retained in the sponge. Organic particles such as seeds, tiny blades of grass can become embedded in the sponge. The microfiber cloths and towels will retain organic material such as seeds even after washing. These have to be carefully picked off of the cloth material after washing, drying.

I can stand being outside, using the pressure washer until early December as long as the temperature is above 55F. As it gets colder I use the no rinse method inside my garage (out of the wind) as long as the temperature is above 40F.
Just purchased a new 2022 Model Y Performance and it needs its first car wash! Can those 21 inch tires go through a traditional car wash? I'm worried the rims will get scratched. What do you all recommend for car wash?
I’ve had my MYP since June of this year and mostly hand washed and hand waxed. But I don’t always have the time or energy and really like to keep my car looking good. I found a premium touch less car was that works fine. They do have a track but zero damage to my uberturbines. I switched my rear 275 Michelin AS4’s to the front wheels and bought new 295’s for the back so I have more tire protection now, but even in the original set up the track did not damage my wheels. With that said, hand washing at home yields better results when you are able.

Reactions: GDawg614
I've had my 2022 Model Y Performance since Nov. 2, 2022. I hesitated running it through at automatic car wash, but finally gave in. The weather in NJ is too cold to wash at home in the winter. I've run it through my local automatic car wash 3 times now, no damage to my 21" Uberturbine wheels. On the other hand I've curb scraped the right rear wheel twice now. I ordered a paint touch up kit on Amazon and repaired the damage myself. It worked like a charm, not perfect, but you can't see the repair from a short distance from the car.

Boise is the land of high end car washes. There is literally 4 of them within a mile of my house! I use a very nice one that has a $39 unlimited membership. Their conveyor track has heavy plastic covers over the entire inside/outside track. In a year of washing maybe 3x a month, no issues with rim damage.

The brushes at this place are microfiber and after ceramic coating my MYP, no major swirls either. With the mag chloride they spray on our roads during snow days, a good undercarriage wash is critical.

Home washing:

You can tell who doesn’t have kids or things to do haha

Your car is fine through a car wash.