Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance delivered with smaller wheel in rear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive a Model Y performance and the 2 rear wheels are supposed to be larger (275) than the front (255). I went into to get my tires checked and learned that my rear left wheel is the same size as a front wheel (255). My rear right one is the correct size (275). I scheduled an appointment with the service center but is there anything else I should raise as concerns when going in? Are there potential structural issues? Is the wear and tear different as I've been driving around like this?

Thanks

I drive a Model Y performance and the 2 rear wheels are supposed to be larger (275) than the front (255). I went into to get my tires checked and learned that my rear left wheel is the same size as a front wheel (255). My rear right one is the correct size (275). I scheduled an appointment with the service center but is there anything else I should raise as concerns when going in? Are there potential structural issues? Is the wear and tear different as I've been driving around like this?

Thanks
Holy crap, that's crazy.

I hear things like this and it makes me want to cancel my order.
Indeed. I've already bought so much aftermarket stuff in advance of my car arriving I feel like I'm beyond that point, but it has certainly makes it feel like I might be making a mistake. If Audi did one thing right, they always made me feel like they wanted my business, new or used. QC was great, CS was great... all of it. Tesla's gonna take some getting use to....

Reactions: ffearless
Funny enough I go into the service appointment and they are immediately skeptical that I had changed this tire out or someone had changed it out without me knowing. They couldn't find any photos of the car internally of the day of delivery, thankfully I had a video of the car at the pick up site and they zoomed in to confirm that the wheel was incorrect. Tesla service is garbage. Please take all the photos you can the day of.

Reviving this thread. My 2023 MYP picked up last December came with 3 X 10.5” 275/35 and 1 X 9.5” 255/35 wheels/tires. My front wheels/tires are mismatched. Unfortunately, I only realized today while changing over from my winter wheels/tires.

During delivery, I recall only inspecting the wheel/tire sizes on one side of the car (doh) and made the assumption the other side was correct. I was more focused on curb rash than size. I reached out to Tesla and see what they say. I’m already preparing my “defence” for the accusation that I purposely did this. I do have 1 photo from delivery day that, if I max out exposure and lighting, I can make out the wrong tire size in the front passenger side. Hoping that’s enough.

Good thing is, I’ve barely driven on the mismatched tires. Any harm in doing so over the next week or so while I figure things out with Tesla?

Reviving this thread. My 2023 MYP picked up last December came with 3 X 10.5” 275/35 and 1 X 9.5” 255/35 wheels/tires. My front wheels/tires are mismatched. Unfortunately, I only realized today while changing over from my winter wheels/tires.

During delivery, I recall only inspecting the wheel/tire sizes on one side of the car (doh) and made the assumption the other side was correct. I was more focused on curb rash than size. I reached out to Tesla and see what they say. I’m already preparing my “defence” for the accusation that I purposely did this. I do have 1 photo from delivery day that, if I max out exposure and lighting, I can make out the wrong tire size in the front passenger side. Hoping that’s enough.

Good thing is, I’ve barely driven on the mismatched tires. Any harm in doing so over the next week or so while I figure things out with Tesla?
Other than weirdly different understeer versus oversteer possibilities in right-handed versus left-handed turns no there would be no really significant issues and again those things would be manifest only at or close to the vehicle's limit. But still it's not ideal. It is a bizarre scenario when somehow someone puts a rear tire on the front or vice versa. Perhaps you ended up with the extra rear tire from the previous posters car?

Closing the loop. Tesla replaced the incorrect wheel/tire for free with a new set. No hassle. Fortunately not much mileage on the existing tires so I don’t feel the need to replace both tires on the same axle. My car was a demo and before I picked it up, the service centre had swapped the uberturbines back on in place of winters. I guess whoever did the swap screwed up. Which means there’s probably a MYP out there driving on 3 fronts and 1 rear. The cycle continues.