Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance Energy Consumption Is Pretty High

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am averaging 320 wh/mile. This is almost exclusively freeway driving at 70mph. Relatively flat elevation changes. Temps have been 65F to 70F. I haven't really floored it much. I nearly always have it on autopilot. This is over 150 miles driven so far. This is on the 21 inch wheels/tires.

If I charge to 90% this would rarely gets me 250 miles of range. The 280 mile range that Tesla quotes is the most you would expect. I don't really believe all these youtubers claiming 270 wh/mile.

I think people should know this before opting for the performance upgrade. In much hotter or much colder temps the efficiency would be even lower.

150 miles? Are you missing some zeroes on that? You can’t possibly draw this conclusion on that little data.

Will driving the same route more times give a different result? Tdriver suggested that slightly warmer may potentially have some effect, but expecting to consistently get under 300 wh/mi seems unlikely.

Most of us have had our cars for only a week or less. That having been said, I don't anticipate more miles significantly changing the result. The point of my post was not to complain, but rather to express skepticism of some of the the numbers being put out there by others. This should be factored in if you are thinking of getting a performance with the upgrades (obviously). People should not be lead to believe that Tesla was underestimating the range hit of the performance upgrades.

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve
Will driving the same route more times give a different result?

Most of us have had our cars for only a week or less. That having been said, I don't anticipate more miles significantly changing the result. The point of my post was not to complain, but rather to express skepticism of some of the the numbers being put out there by others. This should be factored in if you are thinking of getting a performance with the upgrades (obviously). People should not be lead to believe that Tesla was underestimating the range hit of the performance upgrades.

See my trip below.

Disclaimer: I am not a YouTuber.

As always, YMMV.

Trip Range and Consumption 2020 Model Y

See my trip below.

Disclaimer: I am not a YouTuber.

As always, YMMV.

Trip Range and Consumption 2020 Model Y

Thank you. I had missed that thread and it probably makes this thread unnecessary, but as others mention in that thread; your numbers are a little hard to believe (nothing personal). It is not that I think you are making them up, but rather that consistently getting 250 to 280 wh/mi should not be expected.

People should prepare for the fact that most of the time they will get far less than the stated 280 mile range at full charge. More realistically the Performance+ Model Y probably has a real range closer to 250 miles on a full charge.

Unless you completely baby the thing and not drive normal at all you won't get under 300wh/m. There should be some sort of real world EPA rating.

In my mind the range is 200 miles (ie 250 miles of real world full pack range, minus 20% for 10-90% pack usage).

Anyone else notice really high drain while using sentry mode...mine burns about 5-10% per 24 hours.

you know it. I wish the suspension was tighter though. There is way more bounce than I want doing 100 through the back roads. Of course, I’m comparing it to an aventador.
The MY is not a Lambo: your butt isn't centimeters above the pavement. You're going to have a bit more sway than even an M3, but that's in return for a more comfortable seat and a better view of the road.

I envy your Tesla: I'm stuck at home, waiting for the pandemic to end and hoping that my older friends and relatives survive. On the positive side, by the time I get my MY, they'll have no excuse for all the defects I find. :)

The MY is not a Lambo: your butt isn't centimeters above the pavement. You're going to have a bit more sway than even an M3, but that's in return for a more comfortable seat and a better view of the road.

I envy your Tesla: I'm stuck at home, waiting for the pandemic to end and hoping that my older friends and relatives survive. On the positive side, by the time I get my MY, they'll have no excuse for all the defects I find. :)

too true, I actually prefer the MY. That damn lambo attracted too much attention. Not my style.
I’m also hoping that covid doesn’t affect my loved ones. I’ve been following this since January and my worst fears so far have been playing out. I’m still hoping the worst has come.

Reactions: Electric Steve