Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance - going from 21" to 19" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Folks!

I want a bit more smoother ride, as well as the advantage of more mileage on my Model Y. Now that the software update has the option to change the size of your tires, I am getting things ready.

I like the look of these:

Tesla Model Y 19" TSV Flow Forged Tesla Wheel and Tire Package (Set of - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories

Normally I would just order the wheels/tires and go to a tire shop and have them replace them - and then sell the old wheels in a local marketplace.

Is it any different with Tesla? (This is my first Tesla). Not sure if I have to have the Tesla service folks do it, or if I can go to any reputable tire shop.

Thanks!

Matt

Other than the TPMS sensors that are model y Bluetooth specific, it’s the same. They come in that tsportline package or must be bought from Tesla. The advantage is they don’t even have to be programmed to the car, it does it automatically once you start driving.

Hello Folks!

I want a bit more smoother ride, as well as the advantage of more mileage on my Model Y. Now that the software update has the option to change the size of your tires, I am getting things ready.

Tesla Model Y 19" TSV Flow Forged Tesla Wheel and Tire Package (Set of - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories

Normally I would just order the wheels/tires and go to a tire shop and have them replace them - and then sell the old wheels in a local marketplace.

Is it any different with Tesla? (This is my first Tesla). Not sure if I have to have the Tesla service folks do it, or if I can go to any reputable tire shop.

Thanks!

Matt
I just mounted a set of these on my MYP this weekend. They come with everything ready to go out of the box. You could also bring/have them shipped to any tire shop.

Tesla will even come out to your house and do the swap for you but I think that costs a bit more.

• Disagree
Reactions: HotIce
Yep - or at least it did on mine!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1,008.4 KB · Views: 4,394
So the new software update for the Y allows you to enter any tire size and everything adjusts to the new diameter?

You can change the diameter of the rim used to one of the 3 Tesla options (19, 20 or 21), which is used to adjust the estimate for miles remaining with the current battery state of charge. That's all it does, nothing more. It does not allow you to enter in any custom tire size or overall diameter, it assumes that you are using on of the 3 Tesla options that all result in the same 28.0 inch diameter, no matter if you select 19, 20 or 21.

If you install a tire that results in an overall diameter that is not 28.0 inches, then you will have speedometer and odometer issues, your Tesla will be over or under reporting. By how much all depends on how much that new tire deviates from the expected 28.0 inch diameter. Use this site to compare and determine. Tire Size Comparison The Tesla defaults in the settings are:
  • 255/45 R19
  • 255/40 R20
  • 255/35 R21
It is probably best to stick to one of these sizes but if you want something else, do your homework first and make sure it will work and you are okay with the outcome.

• Informative
Reactions: MikeNY
Yep makes sense. I guess my question was going from Uberturbines (21) to 20 or 19s on OEM which are square. Are the diameters all the same? Sorry I didn't do the conversion. But from this quote it seems like even the staggered setup for the 21s result in a 28 inch diameter.

You can change the diameter of the rim used to one of the 3 Tesla options (19, 20 or 21), which is used to adjust the estimate for miles remaining with the current battery state of charge. That's all it does, nothing more. It does not allow you to enter in any custom tire size or overall diameter, it assumes that you are using on of the 3 Tesla options that all result in the same 28.0 inch diameter, no matter if you select 19, 20 or 21.

If you install a tire that results in an overall diameter that is not 28.0 inches, then you will have speedometer and odometer issues, your Tesla will be over or under reporting. By how much all depends on how much that new tire deviates from the expected 28.0 inch diameter. Use this site to compare and determine. Tire Size Comparison The Tesla defaults in the settings are:
  • 255/45 R19
  • 255/40 R20
  • 255/35 R21
It is probably best to stick to one of these sizes but if you want something else, do your homework first and make sure it will work and you are okay with the outcome.

Hello Folks!

Thanks!

Matt
When I installed my 19” martians I did not notice any difference in speed. I selected all 3 tire sizes to test and my phone matched my speedometer. It’s just visual and estimated range. Tesla verified this for me as well.

I went from the uberturbines to a square setup of the TS5 19". I just changed the wheel setup to the 19" Gemini's. Pretty simple.

BTW - Ride is much smoother. However so far I'm not seeing the range/efficiency improvement I was hoping for. I still think there is some improvement in shorter drives, but nothing on highway driving. Which sorta makes sense as the weight improvement helps more with getting going but not as much when already moving. Also the uberturbines are more aerodynamic than the TS5s even though they are uber heavy. If you go with the TSV I'd think you would see better range/efficiency than I am.

Reactions: NHK X and BodegaBay
It seems to me that the car should be running a background check and calibration routine to compare velocity & delta-position (derived from GPS) against the traditional speedo/odo results (derived from rotations x tire-circumference). Rotations provide the best real-time data but the GPS-based calibration would nail the accuracy by calculating the true on-road circumference over somewhat longer intervals of primarily straight-line driving.

This feature would obviate the need to enter correct diameter and/or would update incorrect entries. It would account for variances of wear, pressure and temperature, provide traceable evidence in defense against disputed speed claims, and back up the TPMS readings.

I think this should be a standard feature of any modern GPS-equipped vehicle, and certainly well within any Tesla's capabilities.

FWIW, I have a set of Tsportlines on my X. Tesla service will change complete wheelsets for me (example - winter wheelset change), but they will not mount or remove tires from aftermarket rims. Factory rims only. Just something to be aware of.

I went from the uberturbines to a square setup of the TS5 19". I just changed the wheel setup to the 19" Gemini's. Pretty simple.

BTW - Ride is much smoother. However so far I'm not seeing the range/efficiency improvement I was hoping for. I still think there is some improvement in shorter drives, but nothing on highway driving. Which sorta makes sense as the weight improvement helps more with getting going but not as much when already moving. Also the uberturbines are more aerodynamic than the TS5s even though they are uber heavy. If you go with the TSV I'd think you would see better range/efficiency than I am.
Question - Did you sell the 21’’ Überturbine Wheels after buying the new set, or did you swap? If you sold them, where?

Question - Did you sell the 21’’ Überturbine Wheels after buying the new set, or did you swap? If you sold them, where?
I sold them. Originally I was going to keep them and swap them back and forth, but just decided they were taking up too much room and I probably wouldn't be swapping them much anyway. I listed on FB and Craigslist and ended up selling from Craigslist locally.

I’d like to switch to 19”a for the winter and looking at various setups. TSportline doesn’t have much in stock at the moment, tire rack has a good assortment of TSW and Enkei wheels. Would the suggestion be to get a wheel and tire fitting the profile DaveOrd suggested and then get the TPMS from Tesla directly?