Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance - going from 21" to 19" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sold them. Originally I was going to keep them and swap them back and forth, but just decided they were taking up too much room and I probably wouldn't be swapping them much anyway. I listed on FB and Craigslist and ended up selling from Craigslist locally.
Hey - can you tell me how much you got for yours? I'm looking to price mine. Rather than asking prices, I'm looking for actually selling prices.

I just mounted a set of these on my MYP this weekend. They come with everything ready to go out of the box. You could also bring/have them shipped to any tire shop.

Tesla will even come out to your house and do the swap for you but I think that costs a bit more.
I dont think Tesla will come to the house and swap non-tesla wheels onto the car

You can change the diameter of the rim used to one of the 3 Tesla options (19, 20 or 21), which is used to adjust the estimate for miles remaining with the current battery state of charge. That's all it does, nothing more. It does not allow you to enter in any custom tire size or overall diameter, it assumes that you are using on of the 3 Tesla options that all result in the same 28.0 inch diameter, no matter if you select 19, 20 or 21.

If you install a tire that results in an overall diameter that is not 28.0 inches, then you will have speedometer and odometer issues, your Tesla will be over or under reporting. By how much all depends on how much that new tire deviates from the expected 28.0 inch diameter. Use this site to compare and determine. Tire Size Comparison The Tesla defaults in the settings are:
  • 255/45 R19
  • 255/40 R20
  • 255/35 R21
It is probably best to stick to one of these sizes but if you want something else, do your homework first and make sure it will work and you are okay with the outcome.
I know this was an old post but I ran across it this morning. I am thinking about replacing the 21" uberturbines with some 19 or 20 in Tsportline wheels. They suggest an option of a 275/45R19 vs 255 to get better rim protection. You post was great as it gave the link to the tire size comparison calculator so you can see the effect on speedometer readings. The impact seems minimal 2 MPH at 60 MPH . Anyway I just wanted to say thanks for the post as it is really helpful.

Also keep in mind you can increase your ride comfort by lowering your PSI, though your range will take a slight hit. Elon himself has mentioned this numerous times throughout the years e.g. "Best way to improve ride is drop tire pressure to ~39 psi. 45 psi is best range, but lower comfort." This was in reference to a model 3 but you get the idea.

Reactions: Joe AZ
Great question that I don’t know the answer to. I’ll try to get through to someone at Tire Rack to ask if their offset recommendation considers brake clearance.
Did you ever purchase those wheels and tires through TireRack. Was thinking of doing the same set up but wanted to confirm they fit. The wheels I am looking at have 8.5 width.