Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance headlights in a LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there is a difference (well known) between the YP and YLR with the Non Matrix / new Matrix LED. Has anyone successfully replaced the LR lights with the LED Matrix?
Is it because of all the light show videos that were posted recently showing off “TESLA”? That was pretty cool. I read somewhere that it’ll cost $2000 or more. I want those headlights too.

That’s what I mean. Now that the MYLR have global headlights in oversea models I just hope the NA ones get updated soon (especially since matrix headlights would be able to be used legally soon). It makes sense logistic wise but for ~$60k, not so much on the consumer end.
It's because Model3 are exported to other markets and it's cheaper to keep the production line identical. US made MYLR is only for North America. Shanghai and soon to be Berlin MY all have global headlights in all versions.

That’s what I mean. Now that the MYLR have global headlights in oversea models I just hope the NA ones get updated soon (especially since matrix headlights would be able to be used legally soon). It makes sense logistic wise but for ~$60k, not so much on the consumer end.
Why waste money putting a part in a NA car that isn’t necessary? When M3 was switched over, they weren’t exporting cars from China to Europe. They were exporting from Fremont so one line was doing NA and Europe. Shanghai and Berlin will only be making cars with one type of headlight. They will not be exporting cars to NA.

Why waste money putting a part in a NA car that isn’t necessary? When M3 was switched over, they weren’t exporting cars from China to Europe. They were exporting from Fremont so one line was doing NA and Europe. Shanghai and Berlin will only be making cars with one type of headlight. They will not be exporting cars to NA.
I understand that. I just hope they’ll switch over to the matrix headlights soon on the model y. Better light output is always better and safer. Especially in this price range.

Not going to happen anytime soon. It’s still not legal in the US. The ability to make them legal has happened but the structure of the legality has not been set up.

Once again I’ll point out that you are wishing for Tesla to switch something that works great and safe at a significant cost to them when there is NO reason for them to. If there were all sorts of complaints about bad output or failing headlamps then you’d see a switch. But you don’t. There have been roughly 200,000 Model Y VINs since April 2021. That’s about 266,000 per year. At $100 extra cost per headlamp, that’s $53,000,000 per year. Based on parts cost it is likely closer to $500/car cost or $133,000,00 per year. Why would Tesla do that?

Not going to happen anytime soon. It’s still not legal in the US. The ability to make them legal has happened but the structure of the legality has not been set up.
Two years isn’t too long of a wait. But yeah, fair point about when this will be fully implemented. A shame, there’s so much great headlight technology from manufacturers like MB, Audi and BMW that we’re missing out on in the US.

Reactions: ProjectTrinity
Two years isn’t too long of a wait. But yeah, fair point about when this will be fully implemented. A shame, there’s so much great headlight technology from manufacturers like MB, Audi and BMW that we’re missing out on in the US.

Maybe legal in 2 years, but think of how much $$$ Tesla can save during that 2 years by not changing in such a huge market. Business wise, it would be financially smarter for them to wait until it's legal then upgrade the lights for North America.

Maybe legal in 2 years, but think of how much $$$ Tesla can save during that 2 years by not changing in such a huge market. Business wise, it would be financially smarter for them to wait until it's legal then upgrade the lights for North America.
Just strange that the MYLR is the only variant of the M3 and MY missing the upgraded lights. The matrix headlight array is starting to appear in the Model S (albeit in foreign markets).

Reactions: ProjectTrinity
Just strange that the MYLR is the only variant of the M3 and MY missing the upgraded lights. The matrix headlight array is starting to appear in the Model S (albeit in foreign markets).
Once you have had good headlights before you definitely would notice. Had some cars before with retrofitted HID projectors and clear lens. Super sharp cutoff and with good throw/width.

Last edited:
There is unprecedented demand for MYLR’s in the US, a backlog only increasing. MYP on the other even after being discounted by $5K compared to the legacy premium of $10K over an MYLR. Tesla’s goal right now is to produce as much MYLR as they can without any disruptions. Once Austin comes on line, they will have time to update MYLR’s. For now baby steps such as AMD, Li-Ion battery etc., will be added.

Does anyone have any details about these headlights and the work needed to upgrade? I have a 21 MYP but just barely missed the new headlights. I was recently in an accident and the shop said they could order these new headlights but unsure if they’ll be able to program them to work properly?

Does anyone have any details about these headlights and the work needed to upgrade? I have a 21 MYP but just barely missed the new headlights. I was recently in an accident and the shop said they could order these new headlights but unsure if they’ll be able to program them to work properly?
The service center might be able to help you enable the new matrix headlights

The service center might be able to help you enable the new matrix headlights

There is another thread on here with a larger discussion on whether this is possible. In theory, it is possible but Tesla does not allow it. Reason is looked down upon over there so I gave up trying to be reasonable. To get them to work on a car not originally built with them, you need to get a level 3 or higher tech and ask them to do something they are not supposed/allowed to do. And then it can be reset at each software update so you will need to conitnually do this and will be without headlights every time you update your car software. Any reasonable person would take this as a "not possible/not feasible" result to their inquest.

While the shop can order and install, they wouldn't be able to activate them and therefore wouldn't be able to warranty the work (which should be the first red flag for you and any insurance company paying for the work). Then you'd need to go to Tesla and ask them to do something they can't officially do and don't support (second red flag).