Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance In The Snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received my new Model Y performance. I need to get some snow tires put on it ASAP but I don’t know anything about tires. I have heard some people change out the rims and everything when they move to snow tires but I was hoping to just be able to replace the tire.
utuapp 9Apps Showbox
Unfortunately there are currently no winter/snow tires made to fit the staggered Front/Rear wheels of the Tesla Performance Model Y. Your best option may be to check on TireRack.com, speak with their representative. TireRack offers winter wheel and tire packages for the Model Y and can advise you of any special considerations. (I.e., the Performance Model Y has performance brakes, any replacement wheels have to clear the brake components.) Your best option, currently, will be a wheel and tire package with either 19" or 20" wheels/tires.

While I do not disagree, people in the US are used to automatic transmissions that do not have the same behaviour as a manual car (or an EV with strong regen braking). Virtually no engine braking when you let go of the accelerator. And on a manual you can just use the clutch if you lose traction, which you can't do either. It's way more difficult to feather the accelerator to avoid too much regen. And purely using the brakes would result in ABS activation which is better than hard regen without traction control.

So removing the 'low' regen option on the 2021 was a rather stupid thing to do by Tesla IMHO, and that's exactly why a snow mode is needed. Either that, or traction control on regen so the rear wheels will not completely lose traction.
My 2020 Y has the low regen option and makes no difference unfortunately with the fishtailing, and I’m on Hakka winters.

Bottom line -- Tesla should be better at handling winter then it appears to be. A simple snow/winter mode would go along way towards helping those of us that live in area with icy, snow covered roads keep better control of the vehicle. yes, I will have winter tires. Nokian Studded.

Tesla has more than enough smart engineers to know how to handle this. They have a car with 2 motors and stupid fast reaction times to them. I would say torque split from the get go and a lower regen on all 4 wheels as a start if they needed a jumping off point. I mean, if they can make the car fart, turn into Santas sleigh on your screen, dog mode, and joe mode... why can't we have a snow mode? (I did tweet Elon about that in a long twitter feed that was asking for it too)

Got a little powder yesterday and last night and even with snow tires, I had a few scary moments. When at a light I started to accelerate, gently of course and because most of the power comes from the rear motor the rear motor was sliding out. I wish a Tesla snow mode would put the car into a reduced power mode, similar to chill, with more power coming from the front tires than the rear.

Got a little powder yesterday and last night and even with snow tires, I had a few scary moments. When at a light I started to accelerate, gently of course and because most of the power comes from the rear motor the rear motor was sliding out. I wish a Tesla snow mode would put the car into a reduced power mode, similar to chill, with more power coming from the front tires than the rear.
Were you in Chill mode when this occurred?

Did driving in Chill reduce the sliding of the rear wheels?
I think so. I’m not sure if it was chill mode that helped or that the tires just warmed up a bit. I had literally just turned into the street from the parking lot when I had the traction issues. Once I got going in chill mode I switched back to sport mode and was fine the rear of the trip.

I’m soo excited to find an empty parking lot and learn how this car will think for me. My other two vehicles are FWD w studless snow tires - so to mess around w all season tires and AWD... yes I’m that guy in parking lots “messing around” but actually learning how to control a vehicle is critical.

When people find a ditch or spin out, I’m always wondering how many hours they have driven in the snow - before they drive on the road w the rest of us.

I just received my new Model Y performance. I need to get some snow tires put on it ASAP but I don’t know anything about tires. I have heard some people change out the rims and everything when they move to snow tires but I was hoping to just be able to replace the tire.

Tutuapp
9Apps Showbox

If you want the easiest route, buy the stock wheels with winter tires from the long range awd. Keep the other wheels for summer, or sell em. But if you sell you'll have to buy summer or all season tires to swap to every year

I have been driving my model way up to Tahoe. I also had a Subaru outback previously that had Michelin X ice snow tires on it. That car was amazing in the snow and was simply unflappable. I was able to test it out on an icy parking lot where I also tested the Subaru. Basically going fast and accelerations with sharp turns etc. This is with the vredestein Quatrac tires.
It was interesting. The car will start to slide a little bit but the electronics Would kick in and control it and did a good job in every circumstance I Through at it. So I feel confident it will control it pretty well around turns if it starts to slide out and so forth.
That said, I have not tried it on any normal snowy roads to experience the possible negative affect of the regenerative braking And general road manners. This was more of an extreme test on icy conditions.

I would also be curious to know if there is a general consensus on what settings are best to use in the snow. Should I change to chill mode or anything else like that?
The worst part in my opinion is the regen brakes. It’s terrible in the snow or ice. The fact that they disabled the ability to turn it down is asinine. Tesla needs an official snow mode like every other car. It’s certainly “smart” enough in terms of tech.

Reactions: Lobstahz
975FD8CE-9A12-430A-B68A-97B2C2EE26F7.jpeg
Thank you all for the information. I’m looking into getting a set of 20s with snow tires. However I was told that I need to contact Tesla to get 4 more TPMS sensors.

I can’t seem to find an online site to order those and I left a voicemail at the local service center. Are there any other places that might have the sensor for a model y performance?
I ordered from T sportline their package was wheels with tires and sensors were already installed. Depending on your vin # they switched sensors. When you swap the tires you go to screen and have it recalibrate the speed. I went with Michelin snow and ice 20 inch. You can do 19 also. In CA by law if chains are required you must be in possession of chain to be allowed to travel on roads in mountains. Tesla chains in the online store are the best I’ve ever seen. About double the price but worth it if you need them. The only time I needed chains on a 4x4 was iced roads or drive way. They only fit 19 & 20 inch configuration. Mounted on rear wheels. FYI

Reactions: laservet