Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance In The Snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had our first snow fall in my area of Illinois and it was barely a half inch and I had all kinds of problems sipping on the road going about 20-25mph in my Model Y performance with the 21 inch wheels. Previously I had an Audi S3 for the last five years with all year tires and didn[t have that issue with a half inch or even a 2-3 inches of snow.

I wondering if my problem is with still having the performance tires on or should I be switching any settings on for snow? I haven't done anything with my settings so they are basically factory settings.

If it is just a tire issue, are there any recommendations for all season tires?

Unfortunately the pzero summer tires are horrible on the snow and below 40 degrees. We purchased a new set of 20” wheels and all season p zero tires for the cold months. Not many options for tires with the 21” uberturbines

Attachments

• ED6A52F1-EA56-481E-9B26-9EEE252C2593.jpeg
    ED6A52F1-EA56-481E-9B26-9EEE252C2593.jpeg
    749 KB · Views: 575
  • 15591C8D-89EF-4252-BD07-6BB201DF5E78.jpeg
    15591C8D-89EF-4252-BD07-6BB201DF5E78.jpeg
    883.1 KB · Views: 333
yes you need snow tires. But, importantly, the drift and drive of AWD Teslas is not like old school 4x4s nor suburus. To be clear, it is excellent... but there is a bit more nuance in the drift. Best advice is go to a parkinglot on a snowy day, and feel it.. try and make it slip... learn the bite and engagement, etc. but first, yes, you absolutely need snow tires.

Summer performance tires have as much grip on snow as leather souled dress shoes! I do not care what AWD/4X4 system you may have it simply is not going to work well at all, even dangerous. Either get yourself some winter tires or chuck the P zeros and compromise with a sport handling all seasons tire year round.

Like everyone else is saying, this is due to your summer tires being as hard a hockey pucks in the cold and offering no traction. I've slipped on a damp off ramp in sub 40 degree weather on Michelin Super Sports so badly in my last car that I nearly spun.

Summer performance tires need to come off in November.

Yes the tires are a no brainer but I'm kinda baffled at how no one is mentioning the regen braking. I drove to keystone, CO last weekend while it was snowing and first half of the ride was AWFUL until I turned on off road mode. I'm talking driving 30-40mph and audi's and subarus absolutely blowing past me (and I'm sure some of them were on all seasons). Every time I let off the brake the regen kicked in and caused the back end to fishtail. I'm running the 20" induction with all seasons. Yes, winter tires are better and I have them on order but this car should be able to handle snow pretty well with the awd system it has and all seasons. Mine is a '21 and does not have the option to adjust regen braking. The only thing I can see to help is off road mode and chill mode. They need a snow mode or to rename off road mode

Yeah I think the off-road mode may make a bigger difference here over the snow tires - the RWD bias of the Model Y seems to affect stability a lot in the snow - but turning on off-road makes things a lot more stable. I actually felt more confident with my FWD Prius w/snow tires before turning on off-road mode.

Thank you all for the information. I’m looking into getting a set of 20s with snow tires. However I was told that I need to contact Tesla to get 4 more TPMS sensors.

I can’t seem to find an online site to order those and I left a voicemail at the local service center. Are there any other places that might have the sensor for a model y performance?

Thank you all for the information. I’m looking into getting a set of 20s with snow tires. However I was told that I need to contact Tesla to get 4 more TPMS sensors.

I can’t seem to find an online site to order those and I left a voicemail at the local service center. Are there any other places that might have the sensor for a model y performance?

Only Tesla for these. Some vendors like TireRack might have them if you order wheels (rims) from them, but they will not sell just the TPMS.

Use the Tesla app, make a service request and in that request say that you want to purchase TPMS + locking nut for 4 new rims for your MY, and somebody should get back to you to confirm the purchase. The part number may have changed since I ordered mine. Here is what I got back in Sept,

TPMS Wheel Unit, BLE, Black, with Nut
Part #: 1490750-01-A
Quantity 4

They should be $75 each USD + any taxes.

• Informative
Reactions: Puma2020

We used the TPMS from the summer tires and put them on the all seasons. Should be able to swap them back in the spring time. Or buy another set.

Lengthy thread on this topic I just read through. We need a software update

Winter handling Subaru vs dual-motor model Y
Yes, I’m hoping enough people will pester to get a “snow mode” with more front than rear bias on pushing the pedal (perhaps with a range reduction warning) and reducing the rear regen as well. I have the pirelli snow tires and still does not feel near as confident/secure as my wife’s Subie Outback, even with very light throttle and “low” regen. If they want Subie and Audi folks to convert to electric they need to fix this ASAP. If the option is there then some can still prefer and have fun with some more drifting etc, the ones who are used to FWD or Subaru type secure AWD can have that too...

Every time I let off the brake the regen kicked in and caused the back end to fishtail.

To be clear:
This was not something the car did. It was something you did.

You lifted the accelerator pedal too much, and the regen braked too hard, exactly as you asked it to.

If you don’t want that much regen, don’t lift the accelerator pedal that much.

You lifted the accelerator pedal too much, and the regen braked too hard, exactly as you asked it to.

While I do not disagree, people in the US are used to automatic transmissions that do not have the same behaviour as a manual car (or an EV with strong regen braking). Virtually no engine braking when you let go of the accelerator. And on a manual you can just use the clutch if you lose traction, which you can't do either. It's way more difficult to feather the accelerator to avoid too much regen. And purely using the brakes would result in ABS activation which is better than hard regen without traction control.

So removing the 'low' regen option on the 2021 was a rather stupid thing to do by Tesla IMHO, and that's exactly why a snow mode is needed. Either that, or traction control on regen so the rear wheels will not completely lose traction.

Last edited:
tire rack does have them.. no need to buy tires from them
To be clear:
This was not something the car did. It was something you did.

Lol, do you understand the concept of slowing down? If someone in front of me slows down I must slow down the amount necessary so I don't hit the car in front of me. In a Tesla that means letting off enough so that the car slows down. This is not debatable.. there's no coasting and there's no engine braking. I was letting off as little as possible to limit the regen braking on a highway. You can twist it anyway you want, Tesla isn't perfect. Sorry bud.

Last edited:
Lol, do you understand the concept of slowing down? If someone in front of me slows down I must slow down the amount necessary so I don't hit the car in front of me.

First you don’t want the car to slow down. Now you say you actually had to slow down.

If you had to slow down, and the car couldn’t handle it, while the car in front of you could handle the same amount of deceleration without problems, then it is a clear sign that your tires were not as good as his.

So what would you have done in a car with no engine braking? You can’t avoid hitting the brakes, because then you will hit the car in front. You can’t brake either because we have just established that your tires are not up to it.

You have basically two options until you get better tires: Keep better distance to the cars in front. Or don’t drive.

Reactions: noshadow