Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance In The Snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First you don’t want the car to slow down. Now you say you actually had to slow down.

If you had to slow down, and the car couldn’t handle it, while the car in front of you could handle the same amount of deceleration without problems, then it is a clear sign that your tires were not as good as his.

So what would you have done in a car with no engine braking? You can’t avoid hitting the brakes, because then you will hit the car in front. You can’t brake either because we have just established that your tires are not up to it.

You have basically two options until you get better tires: Keep better distance to the cars in front. Or don’t drive.
I think your reasoning misses the fact that when using the brake all 4 wheels will slow down the car, but when using regen only the rear wheels do.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Summer tires need to go for sure...but also check your tread depth, I received my M Y Performance in June, and couldn't believe how little tread was left after 10,800 miles they were showing the wear bars...so now I need new tires...just finding them is a giant pain as TireRack only has summer tires in the 275/35R21 and 255/35R21

I'd like to keep the wheels but would like to get some all season tires that don't seem to exist.....

2021 Model Y came with Continental ProContact RX tires that were terrible on Colorado snow. I was fishtailing all over the place without trying. Installed Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires that are superb... no unexpected loss of traction on snow/ice even while trying to spin the tires.

BC5FF488-0391-4283-9E55-4159CD4FC343.jpeg

Have PZero Winters. On a slick highway at 40-50 mph speeds, taking my foot off the accelerator caused an immediate slight fishtail that seemed to correct itself after a second. Not fun at highway speeds. Using the brake with light pressure resulted in better control. Using off road mode with rolling or creep mode instead of hard regen seems to help the most when city driving around in slippery conditions.

I am too coddled by one pedal driving, is it too much to expect the computer to handle all of this for me?

Question: Will a set of 245/45/19 tires and rims fit on my 2021 Tesla Y? Apologize in advance for my ignorance, but I am not a tire guy. Saw a used set off an S for sale.
In short, no.

Tesla Model Y 19" wheel (comes with Gemini wheel cover)
  • Size: 19x9.5" Front & Rear
  • Offset: +45
  • PCD: 5X114.3
  • Center Bore: 64.1mm
Tesla Model S 19" wheel
  • Size: 19x8.5"
  • Offset: +35
  • Bolt Pattern (PCD): 5x120
  • Center Bore: 64.1
More here: The Tesla Model Y Wheel and Tire Guide. Complete Tesla Model Y Wheel Specs. - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories

Be sure that any wheels you want to use meet the Tesla Model Y gross axle weight rating (GAWR) specifications: (Source: Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual, page 182.)

GAWR Front (all tires): 3005 lbs
GAWR Rear (19"): 3607 lbs (This is for 2 wheels, each 19" wheel must have a load rating of greater than 1804 lbs)
GAWR Rear (20"): 3307 lbs
GAWR Rear (21") 3505 lbs

• Informative
I think your reasoning misses the fact that when using the brake all 4 wheels will slow down the car, but when using regen only the rear wheels do.

Question - Since all Y's are AWD (At the moment), all I can find on Tesla's forums is that all 4 wheels regen. Where are you seeing that only the rear regens? OR is it possible since the rear motor is bigger it can regen more then the front?

Note: Not professing I know the answer as I don't. But this concerns me as I have a lot of snow/ice covered roads to drive and some are steep.

Question - Since all Y's are AWD (At the moment), all I can find on Tesla's forums is that all 4 wheels regen. Where are you seeing that only the rear regens? OR is it possible since the rear motor is bigger it can regen more then the front?

Note: Not professing I know the answer as I don't. But this concerns me as I have a lot of snow/ice covered roads to drive and some are steep.
It's a good question. All I could find was a link to a Chinese video of a Dual Motor Model 3 that captured data that showed only the rear motor was providing regen.

In short, no.

Tesla Model Y 19" wheel (comes with Gemini wheel cover)
  • Size: 19x9.5" Front & Rear
  • Offset: +45
  • PCD: 5X114.3
  • Center Bore: 64.1mm
Tesla Model S 19" wheel
  • Size: 19x8.5"
  • Offset: +35
  • Bolt Pattern (PCD): 5x120
  • Center Bore: 64.1
More here: The Tesla Model Y Wheel and Tire Guide. Complete Tesla Model Y Wheel Specs. - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories

Be sure that any wheels you want to use meet the Tesla Model Y gross axle weight rating (GAWR) specifications: (Source: Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual, page 182.)

GAWR Front (all tires): 3005 lbs
GAWR Rear (19"): 3607 lbs (This is for 2 wheels, each 19" wheel must have a load rating of greater than 1804 lbs)
GAWR Rear (20"): 3307 lbs
GAWR Rear (21") 3505 lbs
Thanks very much for taking the time to respond. Appreciate it. Looks like I am going with the Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3s. Going to put them on the gemini rims and get a set of aftermarket rims for the summer tires. At that point will need to order the TMPSs.

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond. Appreciate it. Looks like I am going with the Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3s. Going to put them on the gemini rims and get a set of aftermarket rims for the summer tires. At that point will need to order the TMPSs.
In addition to TSportline check out the Martian MW03 wheels available in 18", 19" or 20" for the Model Y: Martian Wheels

The regen bias to the rear makes it really nice to basically adjust the brake bias in real-time when on the track to induce rotation, but when it is slick outside sometimes you don't want more rear bias. So far the Y has been pretty good in the snow, although at times you remember it is an almost 4500lb vehicle!

I was merely deducting from the multiple posts reporting fishtailing that was the case, as that would not happen if both front and rear wheels would regen at the same rate. But I did not take into account it could just be that there's simply much less (but not 0) regen on the front wheels as compared to the rear wheels.

I was merely deducting from the multiple posts reporting fishtailing that was the case, as that would not happen if both front and rear wheels would regen at the same rate. But I did not take into account it could just be that there's simply much less (but not 0) regen on the front wheels as compared to the rear wheels.

The fishtailing doesn’t just happen on regen, it happens on acceleration as well. This was on brand new Continental VikingContact 7 dedicated snow tires. So far the only thing that seems to fix this rear wheel bias is to use off mode road.

First you don’t want the car to slow down. Now you say you actually had to slow down.

If you had to slow down, and the car couldn’t handle it, while the car in front of you could handle the same amount of deceleration without problems, then it is a clear sign that your tires were not as good as his.

So what would you have done in a car with no engine braking? You can’t avoid hitting the brakes, because then you will hit the car in front. You can’t brake either because we have just established that your tires are not up to it.

You have basically two options until you get better tires: Keep better distance to the cars in front. Or don’t drive.

Maybe your reading comprehension isn't that great. It doesn't matter because its clear you'll just twist things to make tesla infallible.. My original comment was actually about slowing down, and the subsequent fishtailing.. which never happened in any of my other awd cars with all seasons. And now, you fall back on the tires.. AGAIN, compared to other cars with the same tires, the model Y fishtails when letting off the pedal and not on snow mode.. That's it, end of story. The bottom line is the tesla fishtails in this scenario. There is no different way the car can be driven to avoid this when you are in a situation where you need to slow down. If you still don't understand, and it hurts too much to admit tesla is worse in some areas.. just remember eventually the software upgrade should fix it. And no other car can do that

Last edited:
I just received my new Model Y performance. I need to get some snow tires put on it ASAP but I don’t know anything about tires. I have heard some people change out the rims and everything when they move to snow tires but I was hoping to just be able to replace the tire.

Last edited by a moderator: