Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance - Only 1 Tire Available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I correct that the OEM PZeros are the only tire currently available to fit this rim? Is that really possible? Why did Tesla eliminate the PUP which gave buyers the ability to buy a Performance model with the 20 in induction wheels. They literally did away with it one day before I ordered mine. Just a dumb move.

Even crazier that the 19 and 20” rims apparently fit the Performance brakes just fine so this is simply an issue of Tesla being stubborn on options.

This was a literal dealbreaker for me. I love how the TM3P and TMYP drive and was willing to deal with a lot of trade offs in build quality and service. But having to spend thousands on a new wheel set, and trying to sell the 21”s, on a brand new car just to get reasonable ride quality was too much for me. I’m now in the “wait and see if Tesla fixes its issues or what Rivian does” camp.

Last edited:
Not yet available but the Pilot Sport AS 4 is supposed to be at some point. They originally said September, then October, November, December, and I saw a post recently where someone said Michelin told them it will be next year. The closest size would be 265/35/R21 for the front and they do have the rear available now at 275/35/R21. I gave up waiting and ordered a new set of 20" wheels and tires.

It was not that there is just a single tire that broke the deal for me, rather the fact that there is no all-season tire available at all to allow me to drive the car in bad weather. I need a car I can drive daily, not just a good weather car. I am smart enough to not try to do anything crazy in the snow and ice, but the Performance version simply isn't suited to it at all.

The going rate for 21in uberturbines in this forum is $2000- $2500. It’s fairly easy to recoup most of the cost of buying a wheel/tire set-up that better suits your needs and would only cost about 4-5 hrs of your time. Just a thought.