Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance or Model S Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m in the position that I get to choose between the two. I really like the looks and obviously the performance potential of the S Plaid. But I’ve read about some concerning quality issues, such as recurring half shaft vibrations, the yolk steering, paying for hardware upgrades to realize performance potential, software bugs, etc. I like the Y because it’s easy to get in and out of, great storage capacity, and obviously about half the price of the S. I am also seeing less and less complaints about quality issues with the Y. Sure, a few have complained about things that need to be fixed when new, but Tesla seems to be handling most of them without much fuss.
My wife won’t help me decide. She gets a Model Y LR. Can anyone here offer any additional insight?

Last edited:
I just had a few days with a model 3 performance and it's certainly fun and definitely more power than my current model Y LR, but both of these pale in comparison to the time I had with my P100D. There's nothing else like that available. The Plaid apparently is a couple notches above the P100D, so I say you should get the Plaid. Out of the box, it's just light years ahead of anything else out there. Not sure what hardware upgrades you're referring to? The performance brakes or the future tires to allow 200 mph? You dont need either of those to have the Plaid experience. Unless you're planning on tracking the car, or maybe taking it to the salt flats because 175 mph isn't fast enough?

I test drove a P100D a few years ago and we almost bought a Model S because of it (not a P100D!). We now own a 2020 Model Y and it's been really great. If I could afford it I would have a Model S. But only if they provide an option for full wheel instead of a yolk, and stalks to control drive mode and such.

• Funny
Reactions: Mr X
The overall experience/luxury/comfort of the MS is not even close compared to the Y and should not be considering the price difference. I have the acceleration boost option on the Y and though it was almost too fast however the S LR will put it to shame at any speed, same goes for the performance version of the Y. The Y is a more practical ride, with more frunk space, more hatch space not to mention more hidden compartments for storage. Headroom in the Y is far superior as well as visibility except maybe for the rear window which is slightly better on the S. Seating height, ingress/egress much better in the Y. How should I put this, getting into the Y feels like getting into a Honda and the S a Mercedes. At least this is what it feels like to me and I do own both. Don't get me wrong, still love the Y and would not change it for anything else, not even another S. Having both gives us the choice depending on what we are going to do. If we only was able to own 1, the practical side of the Y would win me over. Plenty fast unless you drag race at lights all the time, just stay away from the S and Model 3P otherwise it will easily take 99% of all other cars on the road.

I’m in the position that I get to choose between the two. I really like the looks and obviously the performance potential of the S Plaid. But I’ve read about some concerning quality issues, such as recurring half shaft vibrations, the yolk steering, paying for hardware upgrades to realize performance potential, software bugs, etc. I like the Y because it’s easy to get in and out of, great storage capacity, and obviously about half the price of the S. I am also seeing less and less complaints about quality issues with the Y. Sure, a few have complained about things that need to be fixed when new, but Tesla seems to be handling most of them without much fuss.
My wife won’t help me decide. She gets a Model Y LR. Can anyone here offer any additional insight?

Model S plaid has radar, Model Y performance does not. That would settle the issue for me.

Keith

If you have the means and the $$ is a complete non-factor then Plaid all day long. Why not just go all the way to the top of the mountain. No use stopping at base station 2.
I was in that position however dishing out another $57,600 (Canadian) after taxes for a 1 second zero to 60 difference and bragging rights of owning the worlds fastest production car (for now) that I would use maybe 10 times to impress family/friends with impressive G forces just did not compute in my head. I threw it around several times and in the end after receiving the MS LR I could not be happier with my decision.

Adding to what has already been said… if you want the prestige factor, get the Plaid. There are tons of MYs everywhere and even more in CA. They don’t turn heads like a Model S. Then, for those who know, they see you’re in a Plaid… they’ll be jealous. Not a factor for some, but a consideration nonetheless.

Depreciation though…. The Plaid will drop considerably more than the MYP. You can get a ‘19 MS P100D with 20k mi (and FSD) for $85k from Tesla. A ‘20 MYP sells for $64k wholesale; more than original MSRP.

Reactions: Ray_R
I was in that position however dishing out another $57,600 (Canadian) after taxes for a 1 second zero to 60 difference and bragging rights of owning the worlds fastest production car (for now) that I would use maybe 10 times to impress family/friends with impressive G forces just did not compute in my head. I threw it around several times and in the end after receiving the MS LR I could not be happier with my decision.
Hence my very first sentence. Obviously money was a concern for you. I would do the same if I was the OP and money was a factor. However if money is not a factor then why not. Same thing as buying a Turbo vs Turbo S, Mustang vs. GT500, and the examples can go on. If you want the top on the line and the best AND money is a non factor go for the Plaid.

The overall experience/luxury/comfort of the MS is not even close compared to the Y and should not be considering the price difference. I have the acceleration boost option on the Y and though it was almost too fast however the S LR will put it to shame at any speed, same goes for the performance version of the Y. The Y is a more practical ride, with more frunk space, more hatch space not to mention more hidden compartments for storage. Headroom in the Y is far superior as well as visibility except maybe for the rear window which is slightly better on the S. Seating height, ingress/egress much better in the Y. How should I put this, getting into the Y feels like getting into a Honda and the S a Mercedes. At least this is what it feels like to me and I do own both. Don't get me wrong, still love the Y and would not change it for anything else, not even another S. Having both gives us the choice depending on what we are going to do. If we only was able to own 1, the practical side of the Y would win me over. Plenty fast unless you drag race at lights all the time, just stay away from the S and Model 3P otherwise it will easily take 99% of all other cars on the road.

If you have the means and the $$ is a complete non-factor then Plaid all day long. Why not just go all the way to the top of the mountain. No use stopping at base station 2.

I feel the same as what is mentioned above.

I'm intrigued that the MYP is being considered with the MSP. Can't go wrong with the MYP. It's a very quick car, great drivers position and fun to drive. Has plenty of room for road trips. It's just doesn't have the Plaid excitement. The MYP is a very conservative purchase over the Plaid but the Plaid has a faster processer along with I believe a faster charge rate. Both of these models will age well. Best of luck. Let us know.

I agree, minus one statement.

"I have the acceleration boost option on the Y and though it was almost too fast however the S LR will put it to shame at any speed, same goes for the performance version of the Y."

I wouldnt exactly call a .4 better 0-60 "putting to shame", as the case for the S LR vs MYP. The pull after 60 is more enjoyable in an S LR, thats for absolute sure, but it isnt shaming the MYP. Our Y LR? Shaming all day. HAHA! Agreed. Plaid Model S? Itll murder any vehicle on the road, pretty much.

Just my humble opinion.

If having "the best" keeps you satiated and less likely to be shopping for another car in a few years, I'd go Plaid. There's a pride of ownership with that vehicle that you just won't get with the MYP. Both are amazing and absolutely fun to drive, but the plaid is special.. and even if you don't goose the fun pedal all the time, knowing that it's there is pretty good peace of mind. I have an MYP coming, but if I could swing it, I'd be all over the plaid. The model S will always be considered the keystone species within the Tesla ecosystem, and the plaid at the top of the list. Best of luck with your decision - you can't go wrong either way.

Reactions: JaeTheDev