Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance or Model S Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume the Model X Plaid is not in the conversation due to the super long wait time? Between MS Plaid and MYP, if I could afford it I would get the Plaid. I love my MYP but the Plaid is several levels above it in terms of everything (price, speed, features, etc). I don't think I'd like the Yoke steering, but I could probably adapt to it.

I am personally trying to decide between the Y LR and the S LR, wife thinks the S we had was too big and the refreshed one is slightly wider while I want something more quiet and comfortable than our 3. Hard choices, might come down to test driving the S when it comes to Europe, and I can always hope for adaptable suspension making it’s way to the Y.

Comparing with the performance Y would make the difference in speed smaller but the difference in comfort larger I assume.

I know these decisions can be really tough. Obviously, you just have to decide what is most important to you in the pro/con list of each vehicle. Had a 2020 MYLR, sold it for more than I bought it for and now my wife and I both have MYPs. I can afford any Tesla, and had a Model s on order as well (since I couldn't decide either ...so I placed orders for both). I also ordered the S blind without having been in a refresh yet, though once I was able to get in one at a dealership during a family trip to california, I cemented the MYPs.

Just to throw in my own data point:

I had ordered a MSLR instead of plaid. Didn't feel 35k was necessary to get the extra speed since it was mainly JUST extra speed. Just me though.

MS vs MYP pros:
prestige of being in a s instead of my (so many model ys out there, which is great since it shows tesla is becoming a major player but...everybody looks the same).
vented seats
air suspension
more noise isolation

MS cons
yoke steering
low to the ground
cost

MX cons
solves low to the ground, but I did NOT want falcon doors which are slower and more error prone than normal doors, plus blocks panoramic roof

Honestly, people kept telling me about how much nicer the interior is on a S/X than 3/Y, but with the refresh, it honestly looks very similar to a MY. To me....it felt that it just had some more alcantara in it and...thats it. Felt VERY familiar to the model y. Definitely didn't see what the fuss was all about.

The cons really outweighed it for me since I was very opposed to yoke steering and the lower seats were not comfortable to me, and of course the falcon doors on the X. I'm ok with not having vented seats, since with preconditioning the car will be cooled before I get in anyway. The Model y build quality has gone up so there are less little rattles in the interior and its getting quieter with double paned windows. I put replika 19s on my MYP for ride quality, and put tires at 40psi so its a soft enough ride. Air suspension would still be nice.

Good luck with your decision!

I’m in the position that I get to choose between the two. I really like the looks and obviously the performance potential of the S Plaid. But I’ve read about some concerning quality issues, such as recurring half shaft vibrations, the yolk steering, paying for hardware upgrades to realize performance potential, software bugs, etc. I like the Y because it’s easy to get in and out of, great storage capacity, and obviously about half the price of the S. I am also seeing less and less complaints about quality issues with the Y. Sure, a few have complained about things that need to be fixed when new, but Tesla seems to be handling most of them without much fuss.
My wife won’t help me decide. She gets a Model Y LR. Can anyone here offer any additional insight?
I have MYP, while it is a great car it is not near close to Plaid. The only advantages of the Y are cheaper insurance, extra storage (if needed), and easier to get in and out. After 5k miles on the car, it feels slow and I would happily pay Tesla to increase the performance and noise-canceling software, hardware.. The performance drops significantly at speed of 70+mph!

I own a Model S and Model Y. Without any comment about which one performs better, I can say Model S is waaaaay superior in drive experience. It is somewhat close to what people call a luxury car. Model Y is more close to a dump truck built by Chrysler - very rough ride. And read reports on Model Y performance - it has the worst ride quality of all Model Y trims. Go with Model S.

Reactions: tm1v2 and ishareit
IMO - the only 2 reasons you would buy a Y over S Plaid:
- Price - obviously not a factor here
- Comfort of getting in and out - only you can tell how important this is for you

Otherwise, S (especially Plaid) is better than Y in every other way - range, ride comfort, ventilated seats, dual-screen, looks, adjustable suspension height, 0-60, cabin noise, bigger screen, better sound system (22 speakers), rear-seat screen (if you have a use for it), radar, tri-motor, and not everyone has one like the Y.

PS: I don't know what to think about the yoke. Some people hate it, while others pay third-party vendors to get one for their Model Ys.

Last edited:
Reactions: goin2drt
I’m in the position that I get to choose between the two. I really like the looks and obviously the performance potential of the S Plaid. But I’ve read about some concerning quality issues, such as recurring half shaft vibrations, the yolk steering, paying for hardware upgrades to realize performance potential, software bugs, etc. I like the Y because it’s easy to get in and out of, great storage capacity, and obviously about half the price of the S. I am also seeing less and less complaints about quality issues with the Y. Sure, a few have complained about things that need to be fixed when new, but Tesla seems to be handling most of them without much fuss.
My wife won’t help me decide. She gets a Model Y LR. Can anyone here offer any additional insight?
I mean the most important question is money. I would imagine if the MYP and MS Plaid were the exact same price many of us would have the Plaid. It is the quickest/fastest production vehicle ever made. You will simply not pull up beside another car that is capable of out accelerating it.

So if you are truly in a position where a $70K price difference doesn't matter. The simple answer is to get the Plaid.

The more price matters, the more MYP or even the regular MSLR becomes a much better answer. Because the reality is outside of a dragstrip there is practically no place where you can ever use the full acceleration of the Plaid on a public street or highway without the very real risk of a horrible accident or felony level reckless driving charges. IMO the only sane reason to get the Plaid is.. 1) you actually hit the dragstrip.. or 2) honestly to tell other people you now own what is the fastest production vehicle ever made. Because if its actually uses that much power on a regular street, it seems practically impossible. It's just not possible to use the full 1100hp power on any given street, road, etc. Furthermore IMO the only reason the Plaid even exists.. is because Porsche's Taycan Turbo S was able to immediately take away the crown from the P100D Ludicrous and it hurt Elon personally.

If you are talking about actually being able to use as much power as realistically possible on a given street, road, etc.. then both the MYP and MSLR will still completely over-deliver on all expectations. At 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, the MYP is probably faster than 99.99% of all vehicles ever sold. At 0-60 in 3.0 seconds.. the MSLR is probably faster than 99.999% of all vehicles ever sold. Either one is still so incredibly fast (quick) that I cannot imagine you being disappointed at all with the actual performance.

As for which vehicle will be easier to get in, get out, load cargo, storage capacity, hauling, and all-out utility. The Y is going to be the easy answer there. For the same reason, SUVs & Pickup trucks have grossly outsold sedans in America.. It's hard to bet the crossover style SUV form factor for actual utility in everyday driving.

That said as other people pointed out.. the MSLR will be a much more luxurious experience. The ventilated seats, dual-screen, adjustable suspension, less cabin noise, better sound system, radar are going to make the MSLR significantly more pleasant to daily drive. The MYP is a very stiff and unrefined suspension. It will literally jar your teeth over some bumps and potholes.

TL: DR.. skip the Plaid completely.
Get the Model Y Performance if you care more about utility & hauling.
Get the Model S Long Range if you care more about luxury and refinement.

Last edited:
Reactions: stan23
The MSLR or the MS Plaid are incredible cars. Either is a huge upgrade in performance and luxury compared to an MYLR or MYP. That being said, if money is not a consideration, the choice depends on what your auto needs/uses/wants are. If you have no need for an SUV type vehicle, then get Plaid. Otherwise why not get a Plaid and a MYLR?

Get the plaid. You can click on my profile to read about my 2022 MYP panel & door misalignments. In either case, Inspect each car well, keep your ninspection day devoid of other responsibilities. My model y is going in the shop tomorrow to see if they can address my concerns. If not, I most likely sell. Two issues tesla created during first service visit. Not sure why I wasn’t bothered enough at inspection time to reject car. My car was placed in a shaded area rather in sunlight like the other cars. Perhaps this hid the issue or decreased the appearance.

Last edited: