Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance range question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone!

I just ordered a MYP delivery estimate to around December, my question is for anyone currently owning a MYP what range do you get on regular usage and long distance? (Estimates)

Thank you! I very much appreciate the response!

At 90% charge (430km), I get 380km with summer tires/wheels (21”), and 340km with winters (19” and aftermarket wheels). My daily usage is 60%hwy 40%city and I go 15% to 20% over speed limits. If at speed limits, I get fairly close to the estimated distance showing on the screen.

Upvote 0
Highway driving assuming high speeds (80 mph) in good weather (warm, no rain, no head wind) using all of the "available" battery (not going into the reserve) you can get around 250 miles... but nobody does this. Most people only charge to 90% even when starting off on a road trip, and then many are nervous to go below 20%... so they have 70% of that 250 available (175 miles). Most people road tripping plan on a leg of the trip being somewhere between 100 and 150 miles between charging stops.

Now, for my daily commute when I was on the Uberturbine wheels I was getting right around the rated range based on a max speed of 60 mph and an average speed of 50 mph on my 53 mile round trip commute.

Keith

Upvote 0
I've had my MYP almost a year now and I've taken it on four 1000+ mile trips (it's my road trip EV). I average about 190 miles max using about 90% of my battery with my cruise control set to 5 over the speed limit.

I usually stop every couple of hours (about 140 miles) to charge.

I'm on the west coast and my trips have all been either south or north on the I-5.

Reactions: Viv1984
Upvote 0
I’ve had my MYP for about 3 months. Use it mostly in town, but do take it to work now and then. I’ve experienced about what the others have stated. I charge to to 80%, that gets me about 225 (around there) miles on the screen, my work commute is almost 90 miles round trip, and when I get home I’m sitting usually about 115. So I’m using more than projected, by a fair amount. I live in the southwest, lots of mountain terrain, keep in mind that the projection does not take into account all the elevation changes, and it kills the range, and you don’t make it back on the down hills. I assume as most other MYP owners, you didn’t buy it for the range 😂

Reactions: nate704
Upvote 0
Hi everyone!

I just ordered a MYP delivery estimate to around December, my question is for anyone currently owning a MYP what range do you get on regular usage and long distance? (Estimates)

Thank you! I very much appreciate the response!
While you are waiting you can take some time to become familiar with A Better Route Planner (ABRP) on the web or on your phone can help you to plan charging stops on road trips.

When driving long distances in a Tesla vehicle stopping every 2 to 2.5 hours (about 120 to 140 miles) at a Supercharger for 15 to 20 minutes is preferable to driving until the battery charge is almost fully depleted.

Upvote 0
Highway driving assuming high speeds (80 mph) in good weather (warm, no rain, no head wind) using all of the "available" battery (not going into the reserve) you can get around 250 miles... but nobody does this. Most people only charge to 90% even when starting off on a road trip, and then many are nervous to go below 20%... so they have 70% of that 250 available (175 miles). Most people road tripping plan on a leg of the trip being somewhere between 100 and 150 miles between charging stops.

Now, for my daily commute when I was on the Uberturbine wheels I was getting right around the rated range based on a max speed of 60 mph and an average speed of 50 mph on my 53 mile round trip commute.

Keith
I barely get 200miles on a full charge cruising at 75mph. I have a 22 MYP with 20 inch wheels. I tried it once for fun. After that...charging between 90 and 140 miles. I don't know how the EPA rating works but is total bs. Probably downhill with a skeleton on driver seat.

Upvote 0
I barely get 200miles on a full charge cruising at 75mph. I have a 22 MYP with 20 inch wheels. I tried it once for fun. After that...charging between 90 and 140 miles. I don't know how the EPA rating works but is total bs. Probably downhill with a skeleton on driver seat.
No EV car in this class of car will get you over 200 miles of range if you are driving 75MPH. Driving 70MPH will probably get you closer to 220-230 miles of range. If you reduce speed to 65MPH you should expect to get 250-270 miles of range.

Reactions: yellowr6
Upvote 0
No EV car in this class of car will get you over 200 miles of range if you are driving 75MPH. Driving 70MPH will probably get you closer to 220-230 miles of range. If you reduce speed to 65MPH you should expect to get 250-270 miles of range.
EPA rating is closer to an average speed of about 55 to 58mph. They do have some "high speed" sections, of 70 or something, but it's not a constant 70.

EPA really should change or add a 3rd rating. City/Highway/70mph (or 75, whichever more states have their speed limit set to). Highway is more based on highways around cities with traffic and stuff, it's not a good example of interstate travel where you might be driving for two or three hours with cruise control at a steady speed.

Car and Driver does a 75 mph test, but it's usually in "ideal" conditions (SoCal) around 50 to 80F which is really sweet spots for heatpumps (which the Tesla has).

"The highway range figure we report is the maximum distance that a vehicle can travel at 75 mph."

"the Performance model delivered a result of 98 MPGe and 230 miles of driving range"

"Our process is different for electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids. For plug-ins, we simply note how many miles we get into our loop before the battery runs out of juice and the vehicle switches on the internal-combustion engine. EVs are more complicated, because as the battery charge gets really low they generally can't maintain highway speed and tend to go into a low-speed limp mode. (Plus, then we'd be stranded on the side of the highway.) And we also can't calculate range based on the energy put back into the pack after a test, because that would include the inefficiencies of the charging process. So we note the estimated range and battery state of charge from the trip computer every five miles. We then plot all of those points and fit a curve to project out to our range figure, again rounding down to the nearest 10-mile increment."

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum! I think you'll see pretty soon after you get the car, that the actual range limits don't really matter. For daily driving, (I assume) you'll be charging every night and for long trips, as @jcanoe noted, you'll be stopping at intervals to charge. The only use case where having an EV could be a bit of a pain is if you're driving a lot every day - for example, a salesman who needs to do 200+ miles most days - or if you tow large trailers frequently.

Upvote 0
MYP here and I drive 60/40 hwy/city. I charge to 80% max and since it’s summer I have the A/C on 90% of the time.

I actually did a test on my work commute and found I that I would need to add +40% of mi to get the actual total needed for the trip.

Ex:

Distance = 27 mi
Distance lost according to MYP = 38 mi

Variables:

A/C, radio and autopilot on majority of the way
Average speed is 65-70 mph

Upvote 0
MYP here and I drive 60/40 hwy/city. I charge to 80% max and since it’s summer I have the A/C on 90% of the time.

I actually did a test on my work commute and found I that I would need to add +40% of mi to get the actual total needed for the trip.

Ex:

Distance = 27 mi
Distance lost according to MYP = 38 mi

Variables:

A/C, radio and autopilot on majority of the way
Average speed is 65-70 mph

That's not too far off. Assuming a 75kWh battery Tesla's estimated 303 mile range would be about 247 wh/mi. Add 40% more and you're 345 wh/mi. I'm seeing about 300 to 315 wh/mi at 70mph on my LR Y with 19 inch wheels, I would believe 21s would push it up to 325 or so. Add a little wiggle room for wind or the such. Not too bad. That means you probably could do about 205 to 210 miles on a full (and I mean full, 100 to 0) charge at highway speeds.

Reactions: Jayohee
Upvote 0