Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model y performance range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes; The weight of the 21" wheel and tire combination contributes to lower efficiency, lower range especially at higher speeds. The rear motor in the Performance Model Y is different too (capable of more power) but at constant highway speeds the difference in efficiency of the motor is not a large factor. Performance Model Y owners report an increase in efficiency of 10% after switching to the 19" Gemini wheels.

Range loss with the different wheel options

Reactions: Jayohee and MacO512
I just finished a 2000 miles trip on my MYP 2022. I have 20" wheels on it that are lighter compared to the original wheels. Maybe is something wrong with my car but with two people on the car and the luggage I could not beat 200 miles range on a full charge. I end up charging between 100 and 160 miles which is lame. I really wanted to get to 200 miles on a 85%-90% charge. The average speed was 70-75 mph and the AC was running on AUTO. The average temperature outside was 95+ F. Any thoughts?

I just finished a 2000 miles trip on my MYP 2022. I have 20" wheels on it that are lighter compared to the original wheels. Maybe is something wrong with my car but with two people on the car and the luggage I could not beat 200 miles range on a full charge. I end up charging between 100 and 160 miles which is lame. I really wanted to get to 200 miles on a 85%-90% charge. The average speed was 70-75 mph and the AC was running on AUTO. The average temperature outside was 95+ F. Any thoughts?
On my MYP with Uberturbines, I would probably expect around 180~200 miles running it down to close to 0% with your stated conditions. I'm not certain about the effects of the 95+F temps though. If the AC is working hard I'd probably expect a bit less range. So what you're seeing is fairly normal in my estimation.

Reactions: Jayohee
On my MYP with Uberturbines, I would probably expect around 180~200 miles running it down to close to 0% with your stated conditions. I'm not certain about the effects of the 95+F temps though. If the AC is working hard I'd probably expect a bit less range. So what you're seeing is fairly normal in my estimation.
Thank you! I hoped for 240 miles range on a full charge.

You need to look at your wh/mile. Sounds like you were probably around 325 to 340 wh/mi which is pretty normal for 75 mph with AC on and maybe some light wind here and there. I do about 70 mph and will see just around 300 wh/mi if there is no wind. The faster you go the more energy you use, 80mph is much worse than 70mph, etc.

Thank you! I hoped for 240 miles range on a full charge.
You actually should be able to get very close to that.... but do you want to risk it? That likely would be 100% down to 0% (based on about 80kWh battery, it may actually only be around 77kWh usable... either way that would need to be about 330wh/mi if it's 80kWh usable or 320wh/mi if it's 77 usable. Again, are you actually driving down to zero though, or are you pulling in around 10% battery? If you're going from 100 to 10% than you are only using 90% of your battery and are looking at more like 225 miles of range or maybe 200 to 210 if there's some wind.

You need to look at your wh/mile. Sounds like you were probably around 325 to 340 wh/mi which is pretty normal for 75 mph with AC on and maybe some light wind here and there. I do about 70 mph and will see just around 300 wh/mi if there is no wind. The faster you go the more energy you use, 80mph is much worse than 70mph, etc.
My average was 305 over 700miles.

I get 230 miles with 90% charge. I-95 and speed between 80-100 mph (depending on traffic). A/C with lowest temperature with fan speed 6 for entire trip with 2 adults and two kids with two aluminum framed car seats with full of luggage in the back. With OEM 21" Ubers with Micheline AS4 tires.

To answer the original question, yeah, you should get the same range as a LR model Y if you put similar wheels and tires. Back when I was first shopping the model Y there was an option to get a performance model that didn't have any of the Performance "extras" (wheels, tires, suspension, spoiler). It had the same range as the LR. The more powerful motor shouldn't make any difference if you don't drive it different than a LR model.

My range has dropped, but it doesn't help that I have a heavy food and 'enjoy' driving my MYP.

I'm getting averaging over 400 wh/mi, and getting around 245 miles of range when charging to 85% every night. Calculating to 100%, that's around 280-ish miles of range. But then our MYP is used as a commuter in So Cal so the most we drive is less than 40 miles a day for the most part.

On a couple of road trips, it did pretty well and got decent mileage, and that's with 21x9.5" wheels on 265 tires.

Ours seemed to do a bit better than that. Brand new MYP. We just completed a 1700-mile trip yesterday. 21" Uberturbines, stock Michelins. 2 adults + 2 kids & car seats in the car, frunk packed full, sub trunk and cargo area full to the roof with strollers, pack and plays, and luggage, 40lb cooler with ice. 96-103+ degrees for the entire drive. 95% freeway, 75-85 mph set on TACC for the majority of the miles. The entire trip average on-screen shows = 336 Wh/m (including about 80-90 miles around town driving at the destination for the week (most of that in town time was 450-500+ Wh/m in traffic). Heavy downpours for about 60 miles on the freeway. Thought it would be even worse with the car loaded to the max and driving 80mph + most of the trip with AC on 6-8 the entire time. Most of our segments were around 170-190 miles between charges and we never went below 12-15% or above about 85-90% charge for the entire route. Usually, we were between 20-80% charging since this was our first trip in the car and we had no idea what to expect and didn't want to push it. 200miles for us at 90% charge and 80+ mph would have been easily doable in our loaded-down car. However, even averaging 336 wh/m, it wasn't an issue at all for us, people needed to stop for bathroom breaks or eat regardless, and the timing for stops worked out nearly perfect for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: yellowr6 and Bob2C
Ours seemed to do a bit better than that. Brand new MYP. We just completed a 1700-mile trip yesterday. 21" Uberturbines, stock Michelins. 2 adults + 2 kids & car seats in the car, frunk packed full, sub trunk and cargo area full to the roof with strollers, pack and plays, and luggage, 40lb cooler with ice. 96-103+ degrees for the entire drive. 95% freeway, 75-85 mph set on TACC for the majority of the miles. The entire trip average on-screen shows = 336 Wh/m (including about 80-90 miles around town driving at the destination for the week (most of that in town time was 450-500+ Wh/m in traffic). Heavy downpours for about 60 miles on the freeway. Thought it would be even worse with the car loaded to the max and driving 80mph + most of the trip with AC on 6-8 the entire time. Most of our segments were around 170-190 miles between charges and we never went below 12-15% or above about 85-90% charge for the entire route. Usually, we were between 20-80% charging since this was our first trip in the car and we had no idea what to expect and didn't want to push it. 200miles for us at 90% charge and 80+ mph would have been easily doable in our loaded-down car. However, even averaging 336 wh/m, it wasn't an issue at all for us, people needed to stop for bathroom breaks or eat regardless, and the timing for stops worked out nearly perfect for us.
How long did it take to charge the vehicle at the rest stops you had made on your trip?

How long did it take to charge the vehicle at the rest stops you had made on your trip?
Most stops were planned onscreen for 15 - 25 minutes, 35 was about the longest (planned) stop we ever did. Most of our stops were at 250kW chargers with nobody parked next to us to slow it down. We usually weren't even done with what we were doing when the car was ready to continue so we overcharged an extra 5-15% at most stops due to eating/reloading up 2 kids in car seats etc.

Supercharging cost us $166 for 1700 miles of driving (filled up at home charger, and charged a little from a 120v outlet during the week, only 35kw in total was free). Supercharging rate isn't great compared to our .11c rate at home but is better than $4+ gas at 20-25 mpg in a loaded-down SUV.

Last edited:
Reactions: yellowr6