Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance - Snow Tires Possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

So the default sizing for wheels/tires on the MY Performance is 21". Doing a search on Costco, Canadian Tire, etc. for tires, results in 0 tires found - which means I'll have to downsize for the winter.

What would be the recommended setup for winter tires for the MY Performance? We get a lot of snow here, so proper tires is a must. I'm wondering if a 19" or 20" BOX setup would work, but not sure what sizes to look for. I see winter tire deals starting to pop up so want to make sure I'm ready when the right deal shows itself!

I’d start bugging your Service Center to see when a Model Y snow tire package will be available. When you add in the US$300 TPMS sensors and installation convenience, the Tesla package could be very competitive to assembling and installing your own.

Especially if you get a lot of snow, strongly consider the Nokian R3 SUV tires, relatively good price right now for the right size for the Y at discount tire, 255/45/19. With less range in the winter due to colder temps (colder air is more dense) and higher HVAC use, an aero wheel that also keeps more of the snow out (for wheel balance issues with snow in them) is a good idea. My choice is the Fast EV-01+.
EV01Plus.jpg
Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV Tires.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White

Attachments

• upload_2020-9-16_17-31-12.png
    upload_2020-9-16_17-31-12.png
    642.5 KB · Views: 302
I just ordered these to go on my PUP with 19" Martian rims: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ewall=Blackwall&partnum=545VR9WTPXL&tab=Sizes

Top rated by Consumer reports in snow, ice and wet. Too many winter tires are horrible in the wet. That's fine if you live in Norway or frigid Minnesota, but if you live where it rains in the winter you need to consider wet road performance too.

Nakk,
Did you consider 20s or just 19s? I plan on a very similar set up to yours but with a Vredestein Quatrac Pro mainly for rain and light snow.
I'm considering the 19" forged with 255/55/R19 (55 for more sidewall), or 20" forged with 255/40/R20. Basically looking for a combo that will not look too small (since I'm getting used to the 21s) and provide plenty of sidewall and comfort.

I’m considering 20” Martian wheels but I want an all season tire and apparently you can’t buy one for 255/40/r20. I think the Pilot® Sport A/S 3+ comes in this size but they are discontinued.

Also, the all seasons that come on the 20” induction are not available aftermarket. I am not sure if Tesla will order them for us or not.

Nakk,
Did you consider 20s or just 19s? I plan on a very similar set up to yours but with a Vredestein Quatrac Pro mainly for rain and light snow.
I'm considering the 19" forged with 255/55/R19 (55 for more sidewall), or 20" forged with 255/40/R20. Basically looking for a combo that will not look too small (since I'm getting used to the 21s) and provide plenty of sidewall and comfort.

I considered both the 20s and the 18s. I went with the 19s because I didn't find a tire I liked in the 18. I wanted the most sidewall I could get for a variety of reasons. I've read great things about the Quatrac Pro. That would be an outstanding tire for someone that didn't want to swap to winter set of tires every year. I would have considered it, but the 255/45-19 isn't available anywhere; I don't think they've actually shipped any yet. As far as 255/55-19 tires, you're going to get some rubbing with those for sure. You might be able to get away with 255/50-19s.

I ended up going with the Bridgestone Quiettracks for my Summer tires. I'm still waiting on my Martian wheels. They've been two weeks out since late May. Last week they were one week out; I'm hoping that will actually hold, but still no tracking number.

I considered both the 20s and the 18s. I went with the 19s because I didn't find a tire I liked in the 18. I wanted the most sidewall I could get for a variety of reasons. I've read great things about the Quatrac Pro. That would be an outstanding tire for someone that didn't want to swap to winter set of tires every year. I would have considered it, but the 255/45-19 isn't available anywhere; I don't think they've actually shipped any yet. As far as 255/55-19 tires, you're going to get some rubbing with those for sure. You might be able to get away with 255/50-19s.

I ended up going with the Bridgestone Quiettracks for my Summer tires. I'm still waiting on my Martian wheels. They've been two weeks out since late May. Last week they were one week out; I'm hoping that will actually hold, but still no tracking number.
Thanks for the response. After more research, I agree with you on the 255/55 and they do make the Quatrac Pro in 255/50/R19 so that will probably be my set up. Tough to hear your wait time on the Martians. Do you think T Sportline are shipping any quicker? Let us know how you like your set-up.

Thanks for the response. After more research, I agree with you on the 255/55 and they do make the Quatrac Pro in 255/50/R19 so that will probably be my set up. Tough to hear your wait time on the Martians. Do you think T Sportline are shipping any quicker? Let us know how you like your set-up.
Woo Hoo!! My Martians are enroute, due Friday. :) The delay in shipping was a combination of Covid and special ordering the offset and finish. I think if you order off the rack they'll be along soon. A bit of a delay is OK considering the price for forged wheels, let alone custom ordered forged wheels. :)

I have one more set of Martians coming for my winter tires. Should be along in October.

If T-sportline made an 8.5" rim with a 45 mm offset I would have seriously considered them. We have their wheels on my wife's 3 and they're gorgeous. I though at first I'd really be annoyed with the somewhat large protrusion with their logo on the wheel, but to be honest we don't even notice it. I will say though that the Drew at Martian was far more helpful than when I tried calling Tsportline.

If you get the 255/50-19s, please post up as much detail as you can on the fitment!! Thanks!

I plan on a very similar set up to yours but with a Vredestein Quatrac Pro mainly for rain and light snow.

We are going to have to do a side by side efficiency test when you get your Quatrac Pros! I just noticed you're in Portland; I'm in Camas. The Quatracs look amazing and are probably a better choice around here. I went with the Bridgestones mainly because they're supposed to have less rolling resistance. Other than that the Quatracs are slightly better at everything except wet and snow where the Quatracs are a lot better rated. It would be great to know what--if any--the range penalty with the Quatracs is. We both have Performance Ys, so you just need 19x8.5" Martians for us to have identical setups.

Woo Hoo!! My Martians are enroute, due Friday. :) The delay in shipping was a combination of Covid and special ordering the offset and finish. I think if you order off the rack they'll be along soon. A bit of a delay is OK considering the price for forged wheels, let alone custom ordered forged wheels. :)

I have one more set of Martians coming for my winter tires. Should be along in October.

If T-sportline made an 8.5" rim with a 45 mm offset I would have seriously considered them. We have their wheels on my wife's 3 and they're gorgeous. I though at first I'd really be annoyed with the somewhat large protrusion with their logo on the wheel, but to be honest we don't even notice it. I will say though that the Drew at Martian was far more helpful than when I tried calling Tsportline.

If you get the 255/50-19s, please post up as much detail as you can on the fitment!! Thanks!
Photos once you get them on please!

Reactions: Nakk
Tesla's lack of tire or wheel set option this late in the year is beyond dumbfounding. Just sending thousands of new buyers into aftermarket choices.
I asked my local Tesla dealer about this today. They admitted that they're not expecting to offer winter tires for the Model Y this year.

Their suggestion was that I buy winter tires on my own and have Tesla install them. Note that this would mean swapping out my 21" Überturbines for another set of 21" tires on top of the same wheels. And, yes, that means the different width in the back.

I was actually willing to get 19" wheels with 19" tires in a square configuration, but I'm not sure how practical that would be.

Opinions?