Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance - Snow Tires Possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Winter tires are not necessary but you cannot safely use the performance tires once temps drop below 45*. I am hoping the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 in 255/35/r21 become available earlier than November 1st as mentioned by Michelin. The 275/35/r21 is already available.

A different perspective. Are winter tires necessary? I've seen several Model 3 Performance cars in the middle and northern US that come with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and Model S with Continental ExtremeContact DW or Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, where the owner didn't opt for winter tires. At the moment, I don't plan to have winter wheels or tires on my Model Y PUP. I can't justify about 4K for this as of yet, especially in this COVID19 world where we aren't driving nearly as much.
My understanding is that, yes, they are. The summer tires aren't rated for temperatures below 40'C; they will not only have poor performance, but can even crack. Likewise, snow tires get soft above 40'C.

Bottom line: All-weathers are meh in the summer and meh in the winter, but if you have summer performance tires, you need another set for winter, and they might as well be proper snow tires.

Why you shouldn’t use summer tires during winter | Continental tires

Reactions: rklip
Has anyone investigated the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 winter tires? They have the right size for the front but the back would be a little wider (maybe good for winter?). With the stock setup, the rear tire is .6 in taller than the front. With this winter tire setup, the rear tire would be .3 inch smaller. I'm really thinking hard about this solution because I only need the winter tire for the temp/wet conditions. I don't need ground clearance for snow etc. I also love the look of my Uber Turbines and hate the thought of spending big bucks to buy wheels I don't really like. For the extra money wheels and sensors would cost, I could pay to have my tires switched out for multiple seasons, likely through the life of the tire.

Attachments

• PilotAlpin.png
    PilotAlpin.png
    152.2 KB · Views: 141
  • StockTire.png
    StockTire.png
    551.2 KB · Views: 90
  • WinterTire.png
    WinterTire.png
    544.6 KB · Views: 97
I ended up getting another set of rims for winter. The Michelin pa/4 and pa5 are out of stock in 255/40/20 btw and Michelins inventory seems to be low because of manufacturing in all winter sizes. So if you need winter tires I would get the process moving. I begrudgingly bought Sottozeros since the Hakkas are overkill for my needs.

Reactions: Electric Steve
Whatever winter tire is chosen, tires must be the same diameter, brand, construction and tread pattern on all four wheels. Kirbo20's idea might work. I'll ask Tesla this week.
Going with the Alpin PA4 seems problematic given the rear tire loadset is less than required (275/35-21 103W)

Ok, I just ordered these: Tesla Model Y 19" TSS Flow Forged Tesla Wheel and Winter Tire Package - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories

My plan is to keep them in my basement until it gets a bit colder, then make an appointment with Tesla to have them mount the tires. (Tesla confirmed that they'll do this, for a fee. I think a couple of hundred.)

Two things to think about:

1) Knowing when to make the appointment, so that it's cold enough to use the winter tires but not too cold to use the summer ones. This is compounded by lag time between making the appointment and actually going there.

2) Bringing four tires with me and then taking them back. I haven't actually tried to figure out whether I can get them all into the trunk at once. If not, I'll have to make extra trips.

Reactions: Ruffles

Lol - I just ordered the same thing (I got the TST style). I've been searching all over for other options and this seems the best bang for the buck. I didn't want to buy a set of rims so I tried to find 21" winter tires. I talked to Michelin and the 285/30/r21 Alpins would be close enough in size to the stock rear tires to work but are discontinued. Other brands have winter tires in the 255/35/r21 OR the 275/35/r21 but not both.

I tried to get Tesla to give me a quote on 4 Gemini rims but they are backed up and the voicemail is full etc. Even then, I've heard getting TPMS sensors from Tesla takes some time and other places like Tire Rack don't have them so they can't sell me a complete set ready to mount. If I buy individual wheels, tires, and sensors, I get hit with shipping and still have to pay installation since I can't mount / balance them.

I thought about buying take-offs from other people but I don't want to pay $300-$400 for shipping and get an all-season tire since the reason I'm doing this is to get a cold weather tire.

Finally, when I looked at Martian, Ohm, Unplugged Performance, and others, they all sell NICE wheels. I don't want to pay for premium wheels for a set of snow tires. Normally, you put your snow tires on your crappy OEM wheels and buy a nice setup for summer but I LOVE the Uber Turbines so I'm trying to find the most cost effective winter setup and it looks like T-Sportline is it! The whole package will arrive on my doorstep ready to install for $3150!

My plan is to keep them in my basement until it gets a bit colder, then make an appointment with Tesla to have them mount the tires. (Tesla confirmed that they'll do this, for a fee. I think a couple of hundred.
Why not used a respectable 3rd party maintenance shop with experience with Tesla and/or expensive cars to swap the wheels? Should not cost more than $75 or so. Did that when changing the Gemini's for 20" TST wheels. Though for me it's easy as there is a reputable shop less than a mile away.

BTW: 4 tires fit easily (likely need to stack up 2 and 2) with the rear seats down.

Why not used a respectable 3rd party maintenance shop with experience with Tesla and/or expensive cars to swap the wheels? Should not cost more than $75 or so. Did that when changing the Gemini's for 20" TST wheels. Though for me it's easy as there is a reputable shop less than a mile away.

BTW: 4 tires fit easily (likely need to stack up 2 and 2) with the rear seats down.

Agree with this. Having Tesla do these wheels swaps provides no benefit in outcome and cost, timing, and communication will all be [possibly much] worse. If you have a good local tire/auto shop as an option, if not able to DIY, is a much better choice.

Would suggest erroring on having the winter set on earlier. Yes you could wear them down a bit in warmer temps, but a very nominal worry if you're not doing constant hard launches. Summer rubber while safety would hold up someehat enough in dry 30's, will already ride more harshly those morning and evening dips into the 40's. My personal general rule of thumb is Halloween to Easter.

Last edited:

Thanks for verifying that they'll fit. Eyeballing it, I thought they might, but it's good to hear.

I could definitely save a bit of money going to a 3rd-party shop, but the ones I know of around here are kind of terrible. I'm not sure I even trust them to jack the car up, much less deal with the weird TPMS. Given that I'm throwing three thou at the tire and rims, I'm not sure it's worth the trouble to try to save a hundred.

I guess, in a pinch, I could even change them out myself, but I have no idea whether the tires need balancing or whatever.

Lol - I just ordered the same thing (I got the TST style). I've been searching all over for other options and this seems the best bang for the buck. I didn't want to buy a set of rims so I tried to find 21" winter tires. I talked to Michelin and the 285/30/r21 Alpins would be close enough in size to the stock rear tires to work but are discontinued. Other brands have winter tires in the 255/35/r21 OR the 275/35/r21 but not both.

I tried to get Tesla to give me a quote on 4 Gemini rims but they are backed up and the voicemail is full etc. Even then, I've heard getting TPMS sensors from Tesla takes some time and other places like Tire Rack don't have them so they can't sell me a complete set ready to mount. If I buy individual wheels, tires, and sensors, I get hit with shipping and still have to pay installation since I can't mount / balance them.

I thought about buying take-offs from other people but I don't want to pay $300-$400 for shipping and get an all-season tire since the reason I'm doing this is to get a cold weather tire.

Finally, when I looked at Martian, Ohm, Unplugged Performance, and others, they all sell NICE wheels. I don't want to pay for premium wheels for a set of snow tires. Normally, you put your snow tires on your crappy OEM wheels and buy a nice setup for summer but I LOVE the Uber Turbines so I'm trying to find the most cost effective winter setup and it looks like T-Sportline is it! The whole package will arrive on my doorstep ready to install for $3150!
I have half a mind to keep the 19" rims and swap in summer tires, selling off the Uberturbines. Like how they look and drive, but they've got no sidewall and I have to deal with some poorly maintained streets. I definitely didn't like the Tesla dealer's suggestion that I get 21" snow tires and have them reuse my rims.

When I chose the PUP, I knew I'd be committing to summer/winter tires, so it wouldn't make any sense to get all-weathers for the winter.

Thanks for verifying that they'll fit. Eyeballing it, I thought they might, but it's good to hear.

I could definitely save a bit of money going to a 3rd-party shop, but the ones I know of around here are kind of terrible. I'm not sure I even trust them to jack the car up, much less deal with the weird TPMS. Given that I'm throwing three thou at the tire and rims, I'm not sure it's worth the trouble to try to save a hundred.

I guess, in a pinch, I could even change them out myself, but I have no idea whether the tires need balancing or whatever.

If you purchased from Tsportline, they *should* be balanced ane ready to rumble. I have a set for my M3P and popped them on out of the box last year (as in profile pic).

Damn, I got robbed I think?
Paid $2,500 for a set of 19” Gemini that had 400 miles on them and was never told they took out the TPMS and has rubber valves.

they look as if never driven on but I think I paid a premium and have to pay $300 for TPMS plus install and mount and balance?

advise where I can get the TPMS other than Tesla in NJ area?

If you purchased from Tsportline, they *should* be balanced ane ready to rumble. I have a set for my M3P and popped them on out of the box last year (as in profile pic).
Hmm. While I'm not exactly handy, I've certainly changed tires (back when cars had spares). I don't remember it as being much fun, though. Moreover, I did the research and it looks like I'd have to buy a bunch of tools that I'd only use twice a year. So, having more more money than time, I think I'll just throw money at the problem.