Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance: Squeaking on the pillar above the dashboard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone – I have yet another issue with my three month old Model Y Performance. It’s really disappointing that so many things have gone wrong in the short amount of time that I’ve had it.

Out of nowhere, my car has developed a squeak on the horizontal pillar above the dashboard (the one that has the lights and emergency lights button). Every time I turn, go over bumps…squeak, squeak, squeak.

It’s driving me nuts. I went to Tesla to get a bunch of other things addressed, and they informed me that rattles and squeaks are no longer covered as part of the warranty. This is unbelievable on a $70K car.

They said they’d look into it, but if it wasn’t caused by a mechanical issue, then they’d stop investigating and I’d have to pay out of pocket. So it looks like it’s up to me to fix my own new car. Amazing.

Has anyone had any experience with this kind of squeak, or fixing it? It sounds like something is rubbing against the glass.

Hi everyone – I have yet another issue with my three month old Model Y Performance. It’s really disappointing that so many things have gone wrong in the short amount of time that I’ve had it.

Out of nowhere, my car has developed a squeak on the horizontal pillar above the dashboard (the one that has the lights and emergency lights button). Every time I turn, go over bumps…squeak, squeak, squeak.

It’s driving me nuts. I went to Tesla to get a bunch of other things addressed, and they informed me that rattles and squeaks are no longer covered as part of the warranty. This is unbelievable on a $70K car.

They said they’d look into it, but if it wasn’t caused by a mechanical issue, then they’d stop investigating and I’d have to pay out of pocket. So it looks like it’s up to me to fix my own new car. Amazing.

Has anyone had any experience with this kind of squeak, or fixing it? It sounds like something is rubbing against the glass.
Stuff like this is making me seriously reconsider my planned move into a Tesla. Yes, I know not all vehicles are going to have issues but like you and many others have said, you pay $70K for a vehicle, you really shouldn't be needing multiple trips to the dealer so soon after purchase. I'd not be too happy if I were in your shoes.

I'm in no rush to buy so I guess I've got time to continue researching before pulling the trigger.

Stuff like this is making me seriously reconsider my planned move into a Tesla. Yes, I know not all vehicles are going to have issues but like you and many others have said, you pay $70K for a vehicle, you really shouldn't be needing multiple trips to the dealer so soon after purchase. I'd not be too happy if I were in your shoes.

I'm in no rush to buy so I guess I've got time to continue researching before pulling the trigger.
Yeah, if I had the choice, I think I’d take it back. Don’t get me wrong — the car is awesome in a lot of ways. Best EV on the market from the efficiency, ease of use, attractiveness, driving performance, and general user experience perspectives. But there are gigantic gaps when it comes to customer service and build quality. Kind of leaves you in a bad place, where Tesla is (IMO) the only EV option but with huge downsides.

Reactions: RedSupraT
They told me the same bullshit, i told them when i bought the car the car warranty was what was agreed upon and didnt take a no for a answer. they pushed back and i also pushed back. bunch of looney tunes. wont ever recommend or get another tesla! worst company their has to be.