Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance Tires Mileage less than 16k and needing replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still have 5/32" on all 4 of my tires at 37K miles on a '21 MYLR, 19" wheels. I drive fast, but don't load up the tires off the line. Always use regen. Interesting that the MYP utilizes a rear alignment scheme that causes uneven / premature wear.
Every low-bias tire wears faster and is subject to extreme irregularity in wear patterns when heavily loaded through high torque or weight. Further they are always subject to high risk from road hazards. The only solid solution is to buy 19" aftermarket wheels and tires, or buy those from Tesla if you don't mind the higher prices.

On everything from a Ferrari, a couple Maserati, a Jaguar XK8, two Tesla, BMW and more. I have changed out the low bias tires for higher ones and never regretted the change. The ride improves too. That change pays for itself quickly. If resale is on the horizon keep the low bias kit and reinstall when trading. That is normally what I have done.

Every low-bias tire wears faster and is subject to extreme irregularity in wear patterns when heavily loaded through high torque or weight. Further they are always subject to high risk from road hazards. The only solid solution is to buy 19" aftermarket wheels and tires, or buy those from Tesla if you don't mind the higher prices.

On everything from a Ferrari, a couple Maserati, a Jaguar XK8, two Tesla, BMW and more. I have changed out the low bias tires for higher ones and never regretted the change. The ride improves too. That change pays for itself quickly. If resale is on the horizon keep the low bias kit and reinstall when trading. That is normally what I have done.
Can you explain what you mean by 'low-bias', 'high-bias'?

Can you explain what you mean by 'low-bias', 'high-bias'?
Without technicalities bias is the sidewall length. so:
Model Y performance typically comes with: 255/35R21
while one range typically comes with : 255/45R19
The bias is the 35 and 45.
The lower the bias number, the higher the performance, price and cosmetic value,
The higher the bias number, generally, has better ride, more longevity, more resilience to road hazards and lower cost.
The first number is tread width, and is generally the same for Model y all sizes.
Other things remaining equal the higher bias tire come on smaller wheels, 19" for Model Y example, because the tire height is larger.

FWIW, the outside diameter of the two sizes is the same, the wheel size changes because of the depth of the tire.

I am positive there are people who can explain this better than can I.
I have had 19" tires on both of my Model S precisely to avoid the road hazards and costs of the 21" lower bias tires. When I bought my Model S Performance they did not have 18" available for Performance so I sold my Performance wheels and tires and bought aftermarket 18" more robust lower bias tires. Bizarrely I ended out making money on that exchange because i found someone who valued looks above ride and longevity.

Without technicalities bias is the sidewall length. so:
Model Y performance typically comes with: 255/35R21
while one range typically comes with : 255/45R19
The bias is the 35 and 45.
The lower the bias number, the higher the performance, price and cosmetic value,
The higher the bias number, generally, has better ride, more longevity, more resilience to road hazards and lower cost.
The first number is tread width, and is generally the same for Model y all sizes.
Other things remaining equal the higher bias tire come on smaller wheels, 19" for Model Y example, because the tire height is larger.

FWIW, the outside diameter of the two sizes is the same, the wheel size changes because of the depth of the tire.

I am positive there are people who can explain this better than can I.
I have had 19" tires on both of my Model S precisely to avoid the road hazards and costs of the 21" lower bias tires. When I bought my Model S Performance they did not have 18" available for Performance so I sold my Performance wheels and tires and bought aftermarket 18" more robust lower bias tires. Bizarrely I ended out making money on that exchange because i found someone who valued looks above ride and longevity.
The BMW I traded in had low bias tires, and it had an uncomfortable ride and went through four tires and one wheel due to road hazards (potholes). I made certain I got the 19" Gemini wheels with the Model Y. Will the 19" wheels fit over the larger brakes in the P?

Reactions: unk45
I have replaced the rear tires of my Model Y Performance at 17K miles, and they are looking to be replaced again at 26K - I am down to minimal tread already. Is anyone else having this issue? If so, is there an alignment needed at Tesla or a better tire to use? Thanks!
I would recommend buying a set of adjustable rear camber arms. I did for my Y and had the alignment shop correct the negative camber. Unplugged, Mountain Performance, and Redwood Motorsports have excellent camber adjustment.

The BMW I traded in had low bias tires, and it had an uncomfortable ride and went through four tires and one wheel due to road hazards (potholes). I made certain I got the 19" Gemini wheels with the Model Y. Will the 19" wheels fit over the larger brakes in the P?
I don't know about the Y. TSportline sold the 18" that fit over Performance brakes for the Model 3 that I bought. They have a large variety of Model Y wheels so they probably do something similar.
I'm certain there are many others. This is the vendor I chose back in 2018, when the choices were quite limited. OTOH they did have a good deal so I was very happy. If you check the vendors, unless they explicitly say they fit over Performance brakes I would be reluctant to believe them.

Reactions: Pianewman