Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance Totally Impractical for Snowy Climates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you.

I've lived in the Midwest my entire life and have never had summer or winter tires - only ever had all-season tires. In fact, I didn't know people who live in cities / suburbs with typical driving habits even bothered with winter tires. I thought that was primarily for people going off-roading or living in the mountains.

I'm getting the impression that 21" wheels are a premium product. I personally don't have see any problem with smaller e.g. 19" seems common

I'm leaning toward the All Season tires. Perhaps new (smaller) wheels. That would suck to just leave the 21’’ Überturbine Wheels and summer tires just sitting in the basement. I'd definitely want to sell them.

How would you sell them? Just locally? Shipping would be a real pain in the butt.

It is disappointing that Tesla doesn't have an option to select a more practical wheel/tire combo for those of us who deal with winter. What do people do if they pick one of these up in the winter and it's snowing and cold outside? Tow the darn thing to a shop? That's nuts.
I picked up in december with this scenario and no the SC does not tell you it has summer tires......they don't care. order and arrange a set of 19" replika rims and winter tires from a 3rd party tire store $3000(I used 1010-tires in vancouver) before you pickup the car and have them installed as soon as you take delivery of the car to save yourself some real grief and possibly an accident. the 21" summer tires WILL NOT be usable in snow