Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance Totally Impractical for Snowy Climates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, my experience is completely different. 2005 Mustang GT 5 spd, V8 with Goodyear Eagle Summer tires. Drove the car until Oct 16s each year as insurance 6 month ended there, so convenience to park for winter. Ave high temp is in low 50's ave low is in the lower 30s. Drove it every year in the rain, mist, whatever the weather was. As long as no ice or snow, never had a problem.

These were the same tires that in 1" snow were PATHETIC and useless.
I was running Michelin Pilot Sport summer tires on an Infiniti Coupe with a limited slip diff. When it was less then 50, even on dry pavement, the back end would be squirrelly, even if I feathered the gas. When it was 50 and misty, forget it, no matter how lightly I feathered the gas, the rear tires would slip often. I had them switched to Pilot Sport A/S at the time and ever looked back. I was able to drive normally and not drive like I had egg shells on the accelerator.

Maybe the Goodyear's just had a more pliable compound. I never liked Goodyear's every tire I had from them were junk. From eagle rsa to eagle F1.

Here is an article from tire rack showing why you shouldn't run summer tires in the cold.

Last edited:
Reactions: TwelveVoltMan
Well, my experience is completely different. 2005 Mustang GT 5 spd, V8 with Goodyear Eagle Summer tires. Drove the car until Oct 16s each year as insurance 6 month ended there, so convenience to park for winter. Ave high temp is in low 50's ave low is in the lower 30s. Drove it every year in the rain, mist, whatever the weather was. As long as no ice or snow, never had a problem.

These were the same tires that in 1" snow were PATHETIC and useless.
Temps below 45 degrees can cause damage to the rubber (which is not covered under warranty). You could very well destroy your tires if you drive in low temps. Possibly not with whatever brand you had, but these tires specifically warn against it.

I think everyone is missing the point. Why would you WANT to run summer tires when there it hits cold temps. Cool if you can do it without any major traction issues. Well until that deer runs out in front of you, or the bus of nuns slams on the brakes in front of you. When the cold weather hits I put on tires that are designed for cold weather. It isn’t worth the risk or the deductible.

I think everyone is missing the point. Why would you WANT to run summer tires when there it hits cold temps. Cool if you can do it without any major traction issues. Well until that deer runs out in front of you, or the bus of nuns slams on the brakes in front of you. When the cold weather hits I put on tires that are designed for cold weather. It isn’t worth the risk or the deductible.

I have a set of winter tires, and with my second Y I have on order I was planning on getting summers, instead of using all season for in the summer. I just worry about the fringe months, in October when it could be 80° one day and 35° the next.

Reactions: GadgetGary
I have a set of winter tires, and with my second Y I have on order I was planning on getting summers, instead of using all season for in the summer. I just worry about the fringe months, in October when it could be 80° one day and 35° the next.
I will probably change my at the end of October. I will keep an eye on the forecast and make a split decision. I have a climate controlled garage so when I leave in the morning my tires will be warm & stay warm. Afternoon should be warm enough. If I see a 35 degree day though I’m taking the summer tires off. I would rather run winter tires in warm than summer tires in cold. If that makes sense.

Hmm...did you find knockoffs that work with the model Y? I thought the Y is using new types of TPMS sensors. If you did ....have an ebay link maybe?
WTF! Looks like they switched to a Bluetooth transmitter instead of the old 433 MHZ that Tesla used to used. Nope, no cheap solution I can find. This whole TPMS and custom programming required is total crap. Not just the new Telsas as I know some Honda and Toyota are just as bad and require expensive equipment to program. Just wrong.

Looks like $75/each from the Service Center. Might self teach once put on car?

Last edited:
They are coded as M/S (Mud/Snow) tires, at least the spare set of Gemini wheels (w/OEM Continentals) I bought for my MYP are coded that way.
I don’t disagree that they are all seasons and M/S coded. I’m just relaying that there are a good number anecdotal reports that they don’t do well in snow and ice. I’m sure they are fine in cold weather.

Edit: here is Tirerack’s user feedback on the Contenentals: https://m.tirerack.com/tires/rating...Y+Long+Range&autoModClar=&fromTireDetail=true

3AB36F0C-F641-43DB-A068-D0F459336ACF.jpeg

Reactions: jebinc
WTF! Looks like they switched to a Bluetooth transmitter instead of the old 433 MHZ that Tesla used to used. Nope, no cheap solution I can find. This whole TPMS and custom programming required is total crap. Not just the new Telsas as I know some Honda and Toyota are just as bad and require expensive equipment to program. Just wrong.

Looks like $75/each from the Service Center. Might self teach once put on car?
They do self teach. Some of the aftermarket options are more expensive than the Tesla ones. I just popped by the SC and bought 4 of them for my winter wheels.

Are the all seasons that come on the LR great at anything? Well outside of catching nails 🤣🤣

They are great at being less expensive than the tires on the MYP :) I will use them until they wear out, but then get some winter biased all season tires, possibly winter tires, and a good set of light weight wheels with summer only tires for use 75% of the year. It is hard to justify a full on winter tires, we get "real" snow once every few years here... normally we get one inch of snow a year that lasts one day before melting.

Keith

Same boat, winters aren’t as bad in MD but summer performance tires definitely won’t cut it.

I guess my decision is between keep 21 and get a winter set of 19s.

Or get 19/20 and get tires that will work year round.

If I order a rim/tire set from somewhere like tirerack, would I just take it to the service center to get new TPMS installed? And do I need to be cautious ordering wheels/tires with the MYP brakes?

expected delivery is Nov, so ideally I have a solution on hand before then.

Same boat, winters aren’t as bad in MD but summer performance tires definitely won’t cut it.

If I order a rim/tire set from somewhere like tirerack, would I just take it to the service center to get new TPMS installed? And do I need to be cautious ordering wheels/tires with the MYP brakes?

At least at our SC, the guy said they will not touch aftermarket wheels. You can probably get it done at any tire shop. Tsportline.com and AftermarketEV.com are good places for wheels that will fit.

You can get the wheel, tire, and TPMS sensors as a package deal mounted and balanced from Tire Rack. Also, if you hit the "shop products" button, and then "shop by vehicle" Tire Rack knows what wheels will fit on the car, just pick the ones you want based on the car you are putting them on and you will be fine.

Keith

When you order wheels from TireRack you can add a set of (4) Tesla TPMS sensors to your order at check out. If you are buying a wheel and tire package then TireRack would install the TPMS sensors on the wheels before mounting the tires, balancing the wheels.

Tesla service will not service non-Tesla wheels but if the tires, TPMS sensors are already mounted on the wheels then Tesla Mobile Service can come to your location and swap your wheels. This is no different than rotating your tires which Tesla Mobile Service will do for a modest charge (I believe the price is ~$40)

If you buy from TireRack and specify that you have a 2021 Performance Model Y then TireRack's configuration tool will only show you wheels that TireRack knows will fit the Performance Model Y.