Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance Totally Impractical for Snowy Climates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Model Y Performance with estimated delivery in a few weeks. Having second thoughts. My primary concern is that I live in Wisconsin where it is very cold and usually snowy at least four months per year, and the default MYP 21" tires are apparently not safe in cold, icy weather. I only drive on roads, and they're usually plowed and salted. Still, I can't drive my family in an unsafe vehicle.

Options are:
1. Cancel and get the Long Range if I confirm that has good enough all-season tires
2. Keep the MYP and buy new wheels and all-season or perhaps winter tires but this appears to cost like $4000+

Also, I'm new to the area so I don't know any tire shops or have any trusted local advisors.

Any of you live in similarly cold, snowy settings and get the MYP? How has your experience been? Is replacing the tires on the MYP a must for winter conditions? If you did so, how much did you have to spend?

Was going to get a mid-range ICU CUV like a Mazda CX5 or similar, but wanted something a bit more luxurious, faster, and I'd rather support an innovative, EV company like Tesla. Thanks for your time.
I live in a ski resort in the CO high country and bought the Y LR. You don't drive all-season tires here in the winter - no matter what you drive. I bought a set of wheels mounted with Blizzaks and just do a bolt on change. You can use 19" rims (in fact I'd recommend that) since snows in 20" + size are VERY limited, VERY expensive and IMHO too stiff. I do the same for my Audi RS5 which has 21" summers and 19" winter rims. Just make sure they fit over the brake discs and calipers. My logic - I've just spent $60+k on a car that I and my family use to commute to Denver over 2 mountain passes, why try and save a few hundred $ on tires. One small wreck and you've already paid for the wheels/tires in insurance.

Reactions: jcanoe
I ordered a Model Y Performance with estimated delivery in a few weeks. Having second thoughts. My primary concern is that I live in Wisconsin where it is very cold and usually snowy at least four months per year, and the default MYP 21" tires are apparently not safe in cold, icy weather. I only drive on roads, and they're usually plowed and salted. Still, I can't drive my family in an unsafe vehicle.

Options are:
1. Cancel and get the Long Range if I confirm that has good enough all-season tires
2. Keep the MYP and buy new wheels and all-season or perhaps winter tires but this appears to cost like $4000+

Also, I'm new to the area so I don't know any tire shops or have any trusted local advisors.

Any of you live in similarly cold, snowy settings and get the MYP? How has your experience been? Is replacing the tires on the MYP a must for winter conditions? If you did so, how much did you have to spend?

Was going to get a mid-range ICU CUV like a Mazda CX5 or similar, but wanted something a bit more luxurious, faster, and I'd rather support an innovative, EV company like Tesla. Thanks for your time.
What do you think about MYLR plus performance boost and a new set of winter tires? Still cost less and a little slower then MYP but you get a little more range and two sets of tires with it.

Reactions: GadgetGary
Hello there. Ordered my Y Performance and it's coming early December.
What is everyone's opinion on TSportline wheels? Im looking at a 20 inch package with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season (I don't need snow tires as my snow driving is limited here in the Northeast, but I can't drive eon summer tires).
If I were to go with TSportline, should I go their normal size or "extra wheel protection"? Does anyone have photos or feedback?

Thanks!!

What is everyone's opinion on TSportline wheels? Im looking at a 20 inch package with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season (I don't need snow tires as my snow driving is limited here in the Northeast, but I can't drive eon summer tires).
If I were to go with TSportline, should I go their normal size or "extra wheel protection"? Does anyone have photos or feedback?

Thanks!!
B07BE850-D493-4EE3-A0DE-0B410D4AC971.jpeg

The 20” is a little wider than I would like, I love my TST on Pilot Sport 4S. They have nicer finish and shaping than the similar Replika brand wheel (and the OEM Model S Turbine it is copied from).

It’s dumb and a bad deal that right now they are not including TPMS sensors. I would not get the wider 275 tire as I don’t think you need more traction and it will reduce efficiency.

Thanks!!

I have a MYP and I got a set of TSportline TY115 20" with dedicated winter tires.

I live in CA where there's no snow around where I live, but I spend 30 days at a time in the mountains where there's snow in the winter. I just throw on my snow setup in December, and make the drive. Even driving around in 50+ degree weather to get to my colder destinations didn't put any noticeable wear on my tires from last season.

Here is another perspective; Performance Model Y owner takes their Model Y fitted with the standard wheels and Pirelli P Zero summer performance tires out for a drive in the snow. They drive around the neighborhood on local streets. There is some fish tailing and sliding but the traction control and stability control keep the Model Y going straight. Stopping is no problem but takes longer that you would want. This is when driving at 20 to 25 MPH which experienced winter drivers know is about as fast as you should drive on snow covered roads. The terrain in the video is very flat so that probably helps.

Summer tires in winter is a disaster waiting to happen. The tire tuns brittle and will crack in the cold... also, if you were to wreck using a summer only tire in winter, your insurance company has an easy way out of paying any claim............ google search what happens to summer only tires in cold climate......

Reactions: GadgetGary
Update:

Went with Tsportline:

TS5 19" Tesla Model Y Wheel and Winter Tire Package (Set of 4) - Satin Black / Michelin X-Ice Snow Winter / 19x9.5" Front & Rear

Set me back a little over $4k. Just put them on last night - hope I did it right. Seem fine and managed to get them on just in time for our first snowfall of the season today. They drove well in the wet/cold/snowy weather. Now I just need to develop a good plan for keeping this beauty clean despite the salt and rough conditions.
The same thing I am going with :) do you notice an improvement in the ride ?

I am in MN. I agonized over MYP vs MYLR decision. Ultimately decided to go with MYLR for better ride quality. I had plans to purchase the performance boost but I have been more than happy with MYLR performance.
I have always had snow tires on all my cars in winter. We put them on in mid November and take them off in early April. Winter tires will give you better control and brake distance.
I ended up purchasing Replika 241 19 Inch wheels from Canada. you need to make sure the load rating is appropriate for your car.
For my snow tires I purchased Vikings Contact 7 from Tirerack. I also purchased TPMS sensors directly from Tesla.
This combination was less expensive than TSportline package.
I use original Gemini wheels for snow tires and my Replika wheels are black and use them for summer as I like how they look.

MY LR has rear wheel bias. So even with winter tires it is does not perform as well as my pervious Acura MDX, Porsche Cayenne S. Honda CRV.
I had not experienced fish tailing for a long long time until I began driving MY. So I cannot imagine folks driving around with summer tires in climates like MN, WI.

Last year someone had posted a video of MYP owner in MN driving at slow speed and nearly hitting a parked car.

MY LR has rear wheel bias. So even with winter tires it is does not perform as well as my pervious Acura MDX, Porsche Cayenne S. Honda CRV.
I had not experienced fish tailing for a long long time until I began driving MY. So I cannot imagine folks driving around with summer tires in climates like MN, WI.

Last year someone had posted a video of MYP owner in MN driving at slow speed and nearly hitting a parked car.
Well one thing to keep in mind, is that the Acura MDX has better left-right torque vectoring, in it's SH-AWD system... The Tesla has an open differential on each axle, and relies on the traction control system to apply the brakes to redirect torque to the opposite wheel on an axle. While it works, it's not as effective on snow/ice.

I think it was TFLCar, where I saw a roller test for the Tesla Y. While it was able to to pass the roller test, it took much longer for it to ascend the incline when 3 of the 4 wheels were on rollers, particularly when all but a single front wheel were on rollers, compared to the Acura MDX which had no problem/hesitation on the same roller test, regardless which 3 wheels were on rollers.

I am from a colder climate. I like the looks of the MYP. I dislike the idea of less range, especially as an ICE convert. The MYP supposedly has worse ride quality, due to lowered suspension and larger rim. Don't forget potholes potentially denting the rim...

The MYP also has the more expensive tires.

The idea of taking time out to either swap tires myself, or go to a tire shop is... not for me. That's just more costs, more consumption of my time, having to deal with storing the wheels, transporting the wheels - not for me.

I would either commit to the MYP - and set expectations about ride quality, range, and costs for tires. Or, I would get the base MYLR.

I think I will be going base model MYLR, with the stock rims, just for the range. Then I will immediately regret my purchase, saying I should have just gotten the cooler looking MYP

• Funny
Reactions: Canyonero