Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance Totally Impractical for Snowy Climates?

Vaildriver

Sep 16, 2021
I'm in Vail, CO and will be running Nokian Hakkapelitta's on 19's from mid October to April 1st. Haven't decided on studded or not, but I have co-workers running both options without issues on M3P's.

Reactions: FirstInTown

iguana

Sep 20, 2021
Phoenix Area
I'm in Vail, CO and will be running Nokian Hakkapelitta's on 19's from mid October to April 1st. Haven't decided on studded or not, but I have co-workers running both options without issues on M3P's.
Will be in the rockies this winter, likely going for same setup. What wheels did you go with?

MileHiAl

Sep 3, 2021
Avon, CO
I ordered a Model Y Performance with estimated delivery in a few weeks. Having second thoughts. My primary concern is that I live in Wisconsin where it is very cold and usually snowy at least four months per year, and the default MYP 21" tires are apparently not safe in cold, icy weather. I only drive on roads, and they're usually plowed and salted. Still, I can't drive my family in an unsafe vehicle.

Options are:
1. Cancel and get the Long Range if I confirm that has good enough all-season tires
2. Keep the MYP and buy new wheels and all-season or perhaps winter tires but this appears to cost like $4000+

Also, I'm new to the area so I don't know any tire shops or have any trusted local advisors.

Any of you live in similarly cold, snowy settings and get the MYP? How has your experience been? Is replacing the tires on the MYP a must for winter conditions? If you did so, how much did you have to spend?

Was going to get a mid-range ICU CUV like a Mazda CX5 or similar, but wanted something a bit more luxurious, faster, and I'd rather support an innovative, EV company like Tesla. Thanks for your time.
I live in a ski resort in the CO high country and bought the Y LR. You don't drive all-season tires here in the winter - no matter what you drive. I bought a set of wheels mounted with Blizzaks and just do a bolt on change. You can use 19" rims (in fact I'd recommend that) since snows in 20" + size are VERY limited, VERY expensive and IMHO too stiff. I do the same for my Audi RS5 which has 21" summers and 19" winter rims. Just make sure they fit over the brake discs and calipers. My logic - I've just spent $60+k on a car that I and my family use to commute to Denver over 2 mountain passes, why try and save a few hundred $ on tires. One small wreck and you've already paid for the wheels/tires in insurance.

Reactions: jcanoe

MY-user

MYLR, 5s, OD9/10, EDD 1/10-1/30. 1/23-2/20
Sep 15, 2021
Colorado
I ordered a Model Y Performance with estimated delivery in a few weeks. Having second thoughts. My primary concern is that I live in Wisconsin where it is very cold and usually snowy at least four months per year, and the default MYP 21" tires are apparently not safe in cold, icy weather. I only drive on roads, and they're usually plowed and salted. Still, I can't drive my family in an unsafe vehicle.

Options are:
1. Cancel and get the Long Range if I confirm that has good enough all-season tires
2. Keep the MYP and buy new wheels and all-season or perhaps winter tires but this appears to cost like $4000+

Also, I'm new to the area so I don't know any tire shops or have any trusted local advisors.

Any of you live in similarly cold, snowy settings and get the MYP? How has your experience been? Is replacing the tires on the MYP a must for winter conditions? If you did so, how much did you have to spend?

Was going to get a mid-range ICU CUV like a Mazda CX5 or similar, but wanted something a bit more luxurious, faster, and I'd rather support an innovative, EV company like Tesla. Thanks for your time.
What do you think about MYLR plus performance boost and a new set of winter tires? Still cost less and a little slower then MYP but you get a little more range and two sets of tires with it.

Reactions: GadgetGary

GadgetGary

Sep 8, 2021
Wisconsin
What do you think about MYLR plus performance boost and a new set of winter tires? Still cost less and a little slower then MYP but you get a little more range and two sets of tires with it.
That's a great idea. What's getting me is that I need a car ASAP, and do not want to lose my spot for the MYP. Nothing else on the market excites me.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC