Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance Totally Impractical for Snowy Climates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is what I would do. Maybe, as it depends on if the car has staggered widths with 255 fronts and 275 rears. If has that, can the Y go to a non-staggered with all the same width so can rotate. I know the MX can as the 19" winter package from Tesla was non-staggered.

Tire rack shows a non-staggered option for the 2020, so maybe my solution works in 2021?

-Get some used 3 18" rims for around $940 (I paid that for my 19" S rims that are used, shipped to me on ebay. They look NEW)
-Snows are about $206 each on-line so $824.
-Mounting balancing for $40/each and total $1924 for basically new stuff.

I would go from 255/45r21s to 235/55r18 as the overall diameter size is within 1/2 a percent. Stock is load range XL-104 and the Haaka R3SUV is XL-104, so good there. Speed range on the Winter is R so ONLY 106 mph (170km/h) so keep it under that on the snowy roads:):):)

Last edited:
Reactions: jpy1980
Super helpful stuff. Thanks, including FirstInTown.

I understand that when the temperature drops below 45F or so, the summer tires become stiff and lose traction, hence the need for alternate tires in the late Fall through early Spring. Should winter tires be used when it is under 45F some of the day/night, but not really cold e.g. <7F? Is that a problem? Because I do see the use in getting proper winter tires, but in Wisconsin, we get a full 4-season experience which means a few months a year where it's not full-on freezing and snowy, but it is cold and certainly under 50F much of the day/night, and it's unclear to me if that calls for all-season tires or if it's reasonable to use the winter tires in these not-quite-winter conditions as well

I ordered a Model Y Performance with estimated delivery in a few weeks. Having second thoughts. My primary concern is that I live in Wisconsin where it is very cold and usually snowy at least four months per year, and the default MYP 21" tires are apparently not safe in cold, icy weather. I only drive on roads, and they're usually plowed and salted. Still, I can't drive my family in an unsafe vehicle.

Options are:
1. Cancel and get the Long Range if I confirm that has good enough all-season tires
2. Keep the MYP and buy new wheels and all-season or perhaps winter tires but this appears to cost like $4000+

Also, I'm new to the area so I don't know any tire shops or have any trusted local advisors.

Any of you live in similarly cold, snowy settings and get the MYP? How has your experience been? Is replacing the tires on the MYP a must for winter conditions? If you did so, how much did you have to spend?

Was going to get a mid-range ICU CUV like a Mazda CX5 or similar, but wanted something a bit more luxurious, faster, and I'd rather support an innovative, EV company like Tesla. Thanks for your time.
I can tell you from experience that the Goodyear’s that come on the LR are junk. I took them off at 2k miles. I think either way you will be buying tires, might as well enjoy the P. I run dedicated winter tires and dedicated summer tires.

I ordered a Model Y Performance with estimated delivery in a few weeks. Having second thoughts. My primary concern is that I live in Wisconsin where it is very cold and usually snowy at least four months per year, and the default MYP 21" tires are apparently not safe in cold, icy weather. I only drive on roads, and they're usually plowed and salted. Still, I can't drive my family in an unsafe vehicle.

Options are:
1. Cancel and get the Long Range if I confirm that has good enough all-season tires
2. Keep the MYP and buy new wheels and all-season or perhaps winter tires but this appears to cost like $4000+

Also, I'm new to the area so I don't know any tire shops or have any trusted local advisors.

Any of you live in similarly cold, snowy settings and get the MYP? How has your experience been? Is replacing the tires on the MYP a must for winter conditions? If you did so, how much did you have to spend?

Was going to get a mid-range ICU CUV like a Mazda CX5 or similar, but wanted something a bit more luxurious, faster, and I'd rather support an innovative, EV company like Tesla. Thanks for your time.

For my MYP I purchased a set of slightly used (2,000 miles) MY LR Gemini wheels and tires off of this forum for winter use. My winters are not severe as yours, but not warm enough to keep the Uberturbine wheels on the car with the stock tires. "Fresh" take off's run between $1000 and $1,500 with good tires and TPMS sensors. If you don't like the idea of all season tires, you can find just the wheels for sale without tires for significantly less than that and get some snow tires for them.

Keith

For my MYP I purchased a set of slightly used (2,000 miles) MY LR Gemini wheels and tires off of this forum for winter use. My winters are not severe as yours, but not warm enough to keep the Uberturbine wheels on the car with the stock tires. "Fresh" take off's run between $1000 and $1,500 with good tires and TPMS sensors. If you don't like the idea of all season tires, you can find just the wheels for sale without tires for significantly less than that and get some snow tires for them.

Keith
This. Used Gemini takeoffs and the winter tire of your choice are a pretty good option. I picked up some Geminis for $1,000 and I’m mounting Sottozero 3s on them. Using the Continental all seasons that come stock on the Geminis for a “winter tire” makes sense if you just see cold and little to no actual winter precipitation, but most reports say they are pretty marginal in snow.

Be warned that the Model 3 18” wheels have a lower load rating. Likely wouldn’t be an issue, but could be dangerous if you fully loaded the vehicle and specifically if you overloaded an axle…

And reports are that the 2020 and before M3 18" aero wheels do not fit on the rear of the MY Performance, the MY Performance has larger brake calipers in back than the MY Long Range. No word on weather or not the M3 18" aero wheels on the 2021 and up cars fit the back of the MY Performance, they are a new design with a higher load rating... they could have more clearance for brakes, or even less clearance.

Keith

Reactions: GadgetGary
When do you usually switch?
I will switch around end of October/November. You don’t want to run summer tires below freezing temps as they can literally explode. Once we start getting to the 40s overnight I will switch. It won’t hurt winter tires to run them around 60ish degrees if you get some warm temps mixed in there. Usually around April I will go back to summer tires. Usually 6 months winter & 6 months winter. I run Michelin PS4S for summer (truly amazing tire) and Perelli Sottozero 2 for winter. If you can find a set of 20s I would recommend 265/40R20 for winter. Protects the wheels (especially turbines) from curb rash. Your Speedo will show 70 but you will truly be going 71. Not really a big deal.

I will say being in Wisconsin I would run winter tires. I run them here in MO and they are beast in the snow. I haven’t bought the snow tires for the Y yet (waiting on stock) but ran them on my Jeep. Really changes how a vehicle runs in snow. Even cold for that matter. My old all seasons on the Jeep ran like rocks is 0 degree temps. Winter tires have a different compound and ride a lot better in cold temps.

And reports are that the 2020 and before M3 18" aero wheels do not fit on the rear of the MY Performance, the MY Performance has larger brake calipers in back than the MY Long Range. No word on weather or not the M3 18" aero wheels on the 2021 and up cars fit the back of the MY Performance, they are a new design with a higher load rating... they could have more clearance for brakes, or even less clearance.

Keith
If this is true, and I can't confirm, but it could very well be, I would switch from my recommendation of 18s and go up to 19s. The matching tire size to keep diameter the same isn't as optimal as with the 18s because have to wider and I don't like that...

Go up to 245/50R19. They aren't quit as good size wise and are 2% larger, so 60 MPH is really 61.3 mph. The 18s didn't have this problem.
Or
255/45R19. Diameter is right, but don't like this width for the winter, as not narrower than stock. I would go with the 245s personally.

We watch the weather but normally over thanksgiving. The cool days we have down in the 20s and 30s aren't a problem as long as there isn't snow on the roads as the harder rubber is ok as long as no snow or ice.

The spring is harder. Can get nice in late March and think can pull them, but then get a bad April snow storm that give 10 inches of snow.... I run them later than sooner as they don't seem to wear bad even is in the 40s or 50s outside.

Reactions: Schulz1983
Here is what I would do. Maybe, as it depends on if the car has staggered widths with 255 fronts and 275 rears. If has that, can the Y go to a non-staggered with all the same width so can rotate. I know the MX can as the 19" winter package from Tesla was non-staggered.

Tire rack shows a non-staggered option for the 2020, so maybe my solution works in 2021?

-Get some used 3 18" rims for around $940 (I paid that for my 19" S rims that are used, shipped to me on ebay. They look NEW)
-Snows are about $206 each on-line so $824.
-Mounting balancing for $40/each and total $1924 for basically new stuff.

I would go from 255/45r21s to 235/55r18 as the overall diameter size is within 1/2 a percent. Stock is load range XL-104 and the Haaka R3SUV is XL-104, so good there. Speed range on the Winter is R so ONLY 106 mph (170km/h) so keep it under that on the snowy roads:):):)
Don't forget the $300 TPMS costs from Tesla!

Pony up for a set of winter tires and wheels. Or if you want to pay less and aren't happy just making due with summer tires, just switch out to all-seasons and go with those year round. That's probably what I would do (the all-seasons). I've got the all-season Continental ProContact RX tires on my Model 3 Performance (Stealth), and they seem fine to me in the snow, and still have plenty of traction for full throttle in the summer.

In winter driving conditions be aware that Tesla vehicles can slide when parked on even a slight incline if there is even a fraction of an inch of snow on the drive. This is made worse if you have the wrong tires, i.e. summer performance tires. Here are two videos that capture parked Tesla vehicles as they slide down driveways.

In the first video you can clearly see that the front wheels are turning while the rear wheel that is visible on the passenger side does not turn.

Note that on the Tesla Model Y and other Tesla vehicles the rear wheel electronically activated parking brakes (motorized calipers) are the only thing that prevents the Tesla vehicle from rolling while parked. There is no parking gear, i.e. parking pawl as in a vehicle with an automatic transmission to lock the wheels from turning.

This seems to happen even with all-season tires, not sure about winter tires. There is no clear explanation as to why Tesla vehicle are prone to sliding except maybe the weight of the vehicle causes any snow trapped under the wheels to compress, turn to ice and the tires immediately lose any grip they might have had even a moment earlier.

In the 3rd video, taken in Glasgow, a driver of a Tesla Model 3 loses control while descending a snow and ice covered hill.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jpy1980
In winter driving conditions be aware that Tesla vehicles can slide when parked on even a slight incline if there is even a fraction of an inch of snow on the drive. This is made worse if you have the wrong tires, i.e. summer performance tires. Here are two videos that capture parked Tesla vehicles as they slide down driveways.

In the first video you can clearly see that the front wheels are turning while the rear wheel that is visible on the passenger side does not turn.

Note that on the Tesla Model Y and other Tesla vehicles the rear wheel electronically activated parking brakes (motorized calipers) are the only thing that prevents the Tesla vehicle from rolling while parked. There is no parking gear, i.e. parking pawl as in a vehicle with an automatic transmission to lock the wheels from turning.

This seems to happen even with all-season tires, not sure about winter tires. There is no clear explanation as to why Tesla vehicle are prone to sliding except maybe the weight of the vehicle causes any snow trapped under the wheels to compress, turn to ice and the tires immediately lose any grip they might have had even a moment earlier.
That is totally scary!! I wanted to take my MYP to the mountains during the boarding season, but now I am not too sure! Will this also happen with the Cybertruck?!

Don't know about the Cybertruck as it will depend on how the parking brake is implemented in the CT and of course the tires.

I added a 3rd video from Glasgow of a driver of a Model 3 who loses control while descending a hill. I have been in a similar situation and unless you have winter tires (maybe even studded tires or chains) nothing will prevent loss of traction, steering and control if the road conditions are bad and the road has not been treated with sand or abrasive material, salt.

Don't know about the Cybertruck as it will depend on how the parking brake is implemented in the CT and of course the tires.

I added a 3rd video from Glasgow of a driver of a Model 3 who loses control while descending a hill. I have been in a similar situation and unless you have winter tires (maybe even studded tires or chains) nothing will prevent loss of traction, steering and control if the road conditions are bad and the road has not been treated with sand or abrasive material, salt.
Hmm maybe I should get the chains that are offered by Tesla as opposed to a winter setup.