Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance Track Mode has arrived as a Holiday Software Update: As seen on twitter!!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is great news track mode has arrived for the MYP. This might just force me to order a P now.

1670957262414.png

1670957269867.png

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my hopes was for drag strip use. For normal test and tune days not many drag strips do a full on track preparation with lots of VHT, so even at a drag strip you can have traction limitations. If I were to put drag radials on the MYP, they work best when heated up via a burnout... it was my hope to be able to do drag radials on all four corners of the car and be able to do a FWD burn out, then a RWD burn out before staging the car at the christmas tree.
@Fourdoor Track Mode is meant for racetracks with corners, not drag strips.

You will probably see worse times in Track Mode at a drag strip, than just leaving the car in its normal mode. That's because Track Mode always (M3P version at least) aggressively chills the battery to turn it into a bigger heatsink, to delay the onset of thermal throttling. Cold battery == lower power output == slower acceleration.

On a Tesla with a special launch or dragstrip mode, like the Model S Plaid, the launch mode is separate from Track Mode (and the launch mode will actually warm up the battery, not unlike preheating for supercharging).

What Track Mode is great for is:

0) Racetracks of course
1) Putting power down coming out of turns. The normal traction control programming won't allow this in these cars. This is soooo frustrating IMO. Even my RWD Model S allows for better powering out of a turn, than a Model 3 or Y in their normal driving mode.
2) Improved car control especially on snow / ice / slippery stuff.
3) Hooning, especially in the snow, or on pavement too if you hate your tires. ;-)

If you don't care for any of that, then probably you don't care for Track Mode. For me it was an essential feature, it's literally the reason I wanted the M3P over M3LR (well the brakes too, but mostly Track Mode), and it's also one of the reasons I preferred Model 3 over Model Y.

I'm super stoked for all you MYP owners that you have Track Mode now! 🎉

I was very disappointed that Track Mode does not include the ability to record your zero to whatever times.
I guess they don't want to make it obvious that your stock MYP will never actually do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. :(
Maybe 3.7 on a good day.

Dragy will do it for $100...
I did under 3.5s with 19" wheels. It's the 21" Uber turbines that really kill acceleration.

What Track Mode is great for is:

0) Racetracks of course
1) Putting power down coming out of turns. The normal traction control programming won't allow this in these cars. This is soooo frustrating IMO. Even my RWD Model S allows for better powering out of a turn, than a Model 3 or Y in their normal driving mode.
2) Improved car control especially on snow / ice / slippery stuff.
3) Hooning, especially in the snow, or on pavement too if you hate your tires. ;-)

If you don't care for any of that, then probably you don't care for Track Mode. For me it was an essential feature, it's literally the reason I wanted the M3P over M3LR (well the brakes too, but mostly Track Mode), and it's also one of the reasons I preferred Model 3 over Model Y.

I'm super stoked for all you MYP owners that you have Track Mode now! 🎉
Do you use Track Mode sometimes during your daily drives? Specifically in snowy conditions? I'm months from being able to go on a track, but if Track Mode is usable in daily driving situations, it would be cool. I did drive around a little bit with Track Mode activated, but I didn't really know what I'm doing and not real sure it using it during normal driving in snow is better than just normal driving mode.

Dragy will do it for $100...
I did under 3.5s with 19" wheels. It's the 21" Uber turbines that really kill acceleration.

I am working crazy hours right now so I haven't had a chance to do any dragy stuff lately... has anyone done any track mode 100% front wheel bias vs 100% rear wheel bias vs "normal" mode with Dragy and a MYP yet? If not, has anyone done so with a M3P? I would expect normal mode to do the best of those three options but it would be nice to see the data :)

Thanks,

Keith

Do you use Track Mode sometimes during your daily drives? Specifically in snowy conditions? I'm months from being able to go on a track, but if Track Mode is usable in daily driving situations, it would be cool. I did drive around a little bit with Track Mode activated, but I didn't really know what I'm doing and not real sure it using it during normal driving in snow is better than just normal driving mode.
@gx9901 Serious winter weather hasn't been a part of my life for many years now, but it used to be, before the M3P or any Tesla. So I'll extrapolate a bit based on my experience chasing snowstorms in the mountains for many years (with AWD Subarus on proper winter tires), and using M3P Track Mode on dry and wet pavement (twisty back roads and empty highway ramps, on summer performance tires). :)

For driving in a storm through the mountains? Hell yeah Track Mode all the way!

For making it through deep areas where if you stop you'll probably get stuck high sided? Track Mode for sure!

For driving on flatland city roads with packed or plowed snow? Honestly there's probably little point. I would try with and without of course, but I expect I wouldn't have any real need or use for Track Mode capabilities in that situation. I might keep it enabled anyways though just in case I need to make any emergency maneuvers - that would be MUCH better done in Track Mode, I think. (The most dangerous part of winter driving in cities is usually everyone else on the road, if you know what I mean!)

Now if it's especially icy out, or you're needing to get up a steep and slippery road/driveway (and assuming you don't run studded tires), I could see Track Mode being extremely useful no matter if that situation is in a big city or in rural hills/mountains.

Basically any time you want to keep wheels spinning or use power while the steering wheel is turned or the car is moving sideways, you want Track Mode.

Oh, and Track Mode lets you dial down regen which I think I'd really want to do in any slippery conditions, because Model 3/Y regen is very rear-biased, which is way different than normal brake bias. So maybe I would use Track Mode all the time! 😄 (My 2021 M3P lacks the old Low regen setting.)

Last edited:
Does track mode ramp up the AC / cooling system regardless if you're just using it to neuter Regen for winter driving? I'm not taking my MYP on a track but I have a snow trip coming up and wondering how track mode will impact my energy usage if I'm using it for winter driving only.

Does track mode ramp up the AC / cooling system regardless if you're just using it to neuter Regen for winter driving? I'm not taking my MYP on a track but I have a snow trip coming up and wondering how track mode will impact my energy usage if I'm using it for winter driving only.
@CyanideDN Yes it does unfortunately, at least in my 2021 M3P with heat pump. I don't know of any way to prevent that. Maybe at some level of coldness it will stop attempting to cool things further...but I can't say from any experience, since my M3P hasn't seen such weather yet.

I believe in M3P with resistive heater (pre heat pump) there is a "compressor overdrive" toggle which heat pump cars like mine don't have. From the name it sounds like it might disable the extra cooling, but maybe just goes easier on the compressor itself while still spinning up the cooling system.

Reactions: CyanideDN
Saw Track Mode in my 2023 Y LR. Does this improve snow handling when driving?

If I recall there is a little icon next to the track mode option and it mentioned about getting pulled out of a snow drift or something to that fact..

Saw Track Mode in my 2023 Y LR. Does this improve snow handling when driving?

If I recall there is a little icon next to the track mode option and it mentioned about getting pulled out of a snow drift or something to that fact..
I think you refer to "Off-Road Assist" option, not Track mode. Off-Road assist engages front motor to help with traction at the expense of energy efficiency. It's not really "snow mode" but may help with traction on slippery surface.

"Off-Road Assist is designed to provide overall improvements when driving off-road. In addition to allowing the wheels to spin, Off-Road Assist balances the torque between the front and rear motors to optimize traction. Off-Road Assist improves traction on rough and soft surfaces where one side of the vehicle may lose traction while the other side still has traction."

Reactions: 804son
I think you refer to "Off-Road Assist" option, not Track mode. Off-Road assist engages front motor to help with traction at the expense of energy efficiency. It's not really "snow mode" but may help with traction on slippery surface.

"Off-Road Assist is designed to provide overall improvements when driving off-road. In addition to allowing the wheels to spin, Off-Road Assist balances the torque between the front and rear motors to optimize traction. Off-Road Assist improves traction on rough and soft surfaces where one side of the vehicle may lose traction while the other side still has traction."

Oops I believe you are correct on this. Thank you for the reply.