Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance VIN 81,*** rejected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Blue, Performance w/PUP (wasn't an option to not have it by the time I had ordered), Black Interior

Went to the pick up appointment this morning @10am...

Cursory overview showed a rather large gouge/chip in the paint in the front, about half the size of a penny (same shape as half a penny as well) completely removing the paint. Front bumper also showed multiple vertical white scratches and rather severe holograming on the passenger side portion of the bumper.

Rear bumper had a rather noticeable scratch deep enough to mar the bumper material itself, resembling a vertical slash by a sharp object, going by how defined the edges of the scratch were and how deep it was. Rear bumper passenger side also showed additional hologram in the clear coat from very poor washing technique.

I rejected the vehicle as is, and they said they'd try to correct it and call me back in when its ready, but couldn't give me a time frame. I was told the manager would be calling me to clarify what comes next.

I'm actually pretty disheartened by this, as I was super excited to come pick it up this morning. After what I've seen, should I trust them to get it right the second time around?

Has anyone rejected a vehicle initially, only to have it fixed and found it perfect afterwards, or are there always issues?

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Panel gaps and the headlight spacing/depth was spot on, actually...the paint was the primary concern.

Oh, and around the drivers side headlight, the edges of the body panels had a paint-film-like protrusion from the edge, almost like if a film wrap is poorly done. Wasn't exactly sure what that was, but to be honest, didn't really bother me, as it looked like it could be knocked down fairly easily.

So in summary, for the newer VIN MYPs, if mine is any indication, assembly seems to be much improved. I'm of the opinion that the damage to the paint was due to post\production things; the rear bumper looks as though a box cutter or knife was used to remove wrapping and they gouged the paint, the holograms in the clear coat are from washing a dirty car improperly enough to haze the clear coat, and the chip in the front from transport or perhaps during its 15 miles of life on the odometer... had those things not happened, the car would be spot on.

Reactions: CleverUsername