Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance vs. GV60...Drag!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The EV6 is closer to size to the Y than 3. Also drives more like a Y than 3 and rides higher than a standard car. Definitely more crossover than hatch.

The EV6 certainly felt small when I drove it. It wasn't the lack of a sunroof, it is a low headroom car, and the driving position feels lower, perhaps because you see a lot of hood and it has a small windscreen. I give it a vote for hatchback.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and voxel
I noticed that the GV60 has a boost button.
Is it similar to the Model 3 Performance Track Mode?

If so, it would more fair to compare the GV60 against the Model 3 Performance.

Nope, and nope.

Track mode doesn't give more power and I wouldn't compare an SUV to a coupe.

Now, my question is what SOC were each of the cars at in each race? The SOC has a huge effect on the MYP. At full charge on a set of Gemini wheels with the stock all season tires I can pull a high 11 in my MYP... and performance drop starts almost immediately as SOC goes down.

Keith

Reactions: android04
Nope, and nope.

Track mode doesn't give more power and I wouldn't compare an SUV to a coupe.

Now, my question is what SOC were each of the cars at in each race? The SOC has a huge effect on the MYP. At full charge on a set of Gemini wheels with the stock all season tires I can pull a high 11 in my MYP... and performance drop starts almost immediately as SOC goes down.

Keith

A coupe has 2-drs. The model 3 is a sedan. CUVs are a blur between sedans and SUVs. In this case, the Model Y has nearly 50% more cargo capacity than a GV60.

Eh… whatever the SOC for the MYP, it’s a close race with the GV60, and like all good drag races, it will come down to the driver, not the car.

And competition is good for everybody! I doubt that Tesla cares too much about the state of MYP #s versus the competition, especially right now when they’re scaling production across China, Germany and Gigafactory Texas. Could they improve the performance of the MYP? Of course they could. I wouldn’t be surprised if Tesla started selling a software speed boost through a software update. But, it’s kind of pointless, really. As a shareholder, I’m more concerned that Tesla can sell/compete globally with other automobile manufacturers than .03 seconds difference in a YT drag race.

The EV6 certainly felt small when I drove it. It wasn't the lack of a sunroof, it is a low headroom car, and the driving position feels lower, perhaps because you see a lot of hood and it has a small windscreen. I give it a vote for hatchback.

You basically fall into the Model 3 while you just get into the EV6. The EV6 driving position is much higher than the Model 3 but lower than the Model Y. Its a tweener but it has significantly more passenger space than the Model 3 and more overall cargo due to the hatch. It has more ground clearance than a Mach E too. It also feel much bigger than the Model 3 to drive around in ( I know as I have both cars and drive both regularly). Thats just my take on it.

I've been eye-ing the GV60 for a while.... but the fact they still haven't fixed whatever is ailing the Performance trim is a bit scary.

Definitely pays to be a later adopter :)

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
You basically fall into the Model 3 while you just get into the EV6. The EV6 driving position is much higher than the Model 3 but lower than the Model Y. Its a tweener but it has significantly more passenger space than the Model 3 and more overall cargo due to the hatch. It has more ground clearance than a Mach E too. It also feel much bigger than the Model 3 to drive around in ( I know as I have both cars and drive both regularly). Thats just my take on it.

The MME and EV6 are wagons basically. EPA classified the Mach-E as a station wagon in 2021.

The ID.4 feels like a true SUV... basically like a RAV4 and I've owned both.

The Y is somewhere inbetween. I'd say the new Lyriq would also be inbetween after seeing it in person. Was hoping for a mid-sized SUV feel but nope.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I've hit 11.8 in my MYP multiple times. The fact that a "professional" driver only hit 12.3 here is sketchy. Seems like a rigged comparison.

That said... this is another example of why we need track mode. Ridiculous that a Genesis of all cars gets it and we don't.
Nice! How do you test it? Is there an app??

The MME and EV6 are wagons basically. EPA classified the Mach-E as a station wagon in 2021.

The ID.4 feels like a true SUV... basically like a RAV4 and I've owned both.

The Y is somewhere inbetween. I'd say the new Lyriq would also be inbetween after seeing it in person. Was hoping for a mid-sized SUV feel but nope.
Agree so the EV6 is the inbetweener also so wagon / CUV....whatever you want to call it. Its certainly no sports sedan like a Model 3 and much more akin to the cars you've mentioned above.

The GV60 is probably very similar to the EV6 vs. the Ioniq 5. Its too bad about the Performance version having issues though.

The problem that MOST new EV owners do not know about is when you take your GV60 to the charging station and after spending the first 20 minutes to figure out why things are not working and another 20 minutes waiting on hold when calling the toll free line is when that thought comes……”Damn I should have purchased a Tesla.”

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
The problem that MOST new EV owners do not know about is when you take your GV60 to the charging station and after spending the first 20 minutes to figure out why things are not working and another 20 minutes waiting on hold when calling the toll free line is when that thought comes……”Damn I should have purchased a Tesla.”

Hyundai/Kia aren't there yet with usability but Ford is close with the Mach-E which has Plug & Charge (works like a Tesla) and the FordPass app has BlueOval where you can pay for a non Plug & Charge charge via one universal account. i.e Paying for EVGo. Ford also has Apple Maps integration so Apple Maps knows the SoC and can add chargers to your route.

Other EV carmakers are a bit behind. Definitely way behind Tesla for sure in terms of ease of charging + EV route planning.

I owned 22 myp for 6 months/8k miles and sold it in July, purchased gv60 performance in matterhorm white/teal at the end of August. Love the car!
Have a close look at the car and drive it if you can. Never heard abt any issues with the performance model, nor experienced any.
Couple of things I wish were better- a bit more mileage per charge (although it more than enough for me) and the app, which is archaic compared to Tesla.