TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model Y Performance vs Jaguar iPace

Discussion in 'Model Y' started by Nuclear Fusion, Mar 16, 2019.

1. wenkan

wenkan Member

iPace in my eyes are very similar to bmw i3, basically impractical compared to Tesla.

2. RedBall

RedBall Member

The main problem with the ipace is that it is built by JLR. Ive owned a few vehicles from JLR, and without exception they have ALL had awful, awful electronics.

The in control pro system is simply riddled with bugs, and they take litteraly years to fix them, if ever.

Example, I have the new discovery - shortly being sold in favour of the model X.

The in car entertainment simply doesnt work very well. It adds more frustration than problems it solves. The rear seat entertainment should be a god send for two young children. It has digtal media storage and can also play from usb. But if you try to play the same film for both kids at the same time, you cant.

There isnt a "synchronise" button. Even after it has beena complaint from owners of the rear seat entertainment for over 2 years. What you have to do is play the film on one rear seat. Pause it, then start it playing on the other seat, flip back to the first one and then try and unpause it at exactly the right moment so both children can watch it at the same time. They have to wear headphones because you will never get it perfectly in sync.

If you finish watching a DVD and change the disc, it doesnt update and wont let you start playing the disc you just intserted until you have stopped the car and turned off the ignition for 5 minutes so it does a full shut down. Useless on long journeys with the kids.

Try accessing sat nav within 30 seconds of starting the car and it says "nav not available", and it wont be now until you turn the car off and let it reset. You have to wait for a minute before accessing any of the media systems or you risk them just saying "not available" for the duration of your trip.

The latest software was not available for cars with rear seat entertainment for over 18 months because if it was applied to those cars, it fried the rear seat stuff permanently.

Even though it is aware of the names of people in the phone book, the latest update no longer shows names of people calling and just the number.

My landrover decided it would just continually unlock itself fo no reason until the battery was flat. Took over a month for the dealer to fix, replacing the entire central locking system piece by piece.

Yes Jaguars and Range Rovers are nice places to sit, leather, wood, nice design. But their reliability and especially non engine electronics is awful, simply leagues below any other vehicle I have ever owned. I have no idea why I bought three of the damned things.

Now that they are also using electronics as a means of propulsion, I wouldnt touch them with somebody elses 10 ft barge pole.

• Funny x 2
  3. deemo

deemo Member

I saw an iPace in a parking lot the other day, exterior was nicer in person than the pics but was more the height of a hatchback than an SUV, the interior was nice if you like buttons. I can afford an iPace but will be buying the Y over it, will drive my S till then - has more space than the Jag.

4. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

5. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member