Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance vs. Model 3 AWD+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have watched a number of the YouTube videos that compare the acceleration of the model 3 Performance to the Model Y performance. It is clear that the Model 3 Performance is faster.

However, based on the 1/4 mile times and 0-60, it should be a very close race between the Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor with Acceleration Boost (AWD+) and the Model Y Performance.

I'm asking any YouTubers out there, this could be the closest race between Tesla models, please film this!

Here is Brooks from Dragtimes testing the Model Y performance
0-60mph :3.79
1/4mile: 11.97@ 114.52mph

I have watched a number of the YouTube videos that compare the acceleration of the model 3 Performance to the Model Y performance. It is clear that the Model 3 Performance is faster.

However, based on the 1/4 mile times and 0-60, it should be a very close race between the Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor with Acceleration Boost (AWD+) and the Model Y Performance.

I'm asking any YouTubers out there, this could be the closest race between Tesla models, please film this!

Good one...I would love to see that. The Y Performance should have an edge.

I'd like to see what the numbers are for a MYP with the 19" Gemini wheels as well, although I'm guessing those are probably going to be pretty rare. The MYP needs to beat an 11.81 1/4 mile and 3.65 (3.45 w/ rollout) 0-60 to match my AWD+ best times. :) I'm curious what the Y would manage with some lighter wheels and a full charge. It definitely would be a very close race and I think weight would really be the deciding factor, aside from SoC. If both are equal in stock form as much as possible, I'm going to speculate it's nearly a tie. Maybe the Y is a tiny bit quicker to 60 but the AWD+ makes up time in the 1/4 mile. The trap speed in Brooks vid was 114.5 mph. In my AWD+, I'm typically trapping 117-119 mph. Other's I've seen trap 115-116 mph. A half mile race would be fun to see it fully play out.

Last edited:
Reactions: phantasms

i have a model 3 ,but prefer a model Y

I'd like to see what the numbers are for a MYP with the 19" Gemini wheels as well, although I'm guessing those are probably going to be pretty rare. The MYP needs to beat an 11.81 1/4 mile and 3.65 (3.45 w/ rollout) 0-60 to match my AWD+ best times. :) I'm curious what the Y would manage with some lighter wheels and a full charge. It definitely would be a very close race and I think weight would really be the deciding factor, aside from SoC. If both are equal in stock form as much as possible, I'm going to speculate it's nearly a tie. Maybe the Y is a tiny bit quicker to 60 but the AWD+ makes up time in the 1/4 mile. The trap speed in Brooks vid was 114.5 mph. In my AWD+, I'm typically trapping 117-119 mph. Other's I've seen trap 115-116 mph. A half mile race would be fun to see it fully play out.

we just need to find some Y performance owners!

MYP with 21inch/full upgrades
I am getting 0-60 with roll out in the 3.4's consistently. Most often 3.43

Great, what SoC and which test tool are you using?

Any chance to do some 1/4 mile runs and post results or average of 3 runs?

Thanks should have mentioned that.

SoC was 95% for those runs though at 89-90% it was still the same.

This was with a friend's draggy. If I'm remembering correctly there was virtually no elevation change. We didn't have time or a safe area for 1/4 mile. I'll see if I can borrow it.

Based on the specifications that Tesla posts even the long range with the power boost should be just a tiny bit slower than the model why performance however I have no idea what the real world looks like. Apparently the long range all wheel drive is getting some pretty good 0 to 60 numbers

Thanks should have mentioned that.

SoC was 95% for those runs though at 89-90% it was still the same.

This was with a friend's draggy. If I'm remembering correctly there was virtually no elevation change. We didn't have time or a safe area for 1/4 mile. I'll see if I can borrow it.

Damn. I'm getting 3.58 consistently. Same wheels, SOC and draggy. What is the ambient temperature?