Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance vs. Model 3 AWD+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right^^^ I think it’s too soon to speculate, not enough data points, and Tesla probably running conservative tuning on the MY. There will be updates in the future.

Yep. We need some side by side runs I think, with the different configs of each car. Plus give Tesla some time to do its fine tuning with the MY like it has with the M3 over the years. I think at the end of the day its going to stay the same as it is now as Tesla has marketing to worry about as well. If looking at pure 0-60.. M3 P < MY P < M3 AWD+ < M3 AWD < MY AWD. With maybe a MY AWD+ coming into the picture at some point.

Reactions: MagnusMako
Yep. We need some side by side runs I think, with the different configs of each car. Plus give Tesla some time to do its fine tuning with the MY like it has with the M3 over the years. I think at the end of the day its going to stay the same as it is now as Tesla has marketing to worry about as well. If looking at pure 0-60.. M3 P < MY P < M3 AWD+ < M3 AWD < MY AWD. With maybe a MY AWD+ coming into the picture at some point.

Tesla will most def release a boost for the MY AWD, as they are money hungry and ppl will buy it. As far as fine tuning, the MY holds back at the launch but then makes up for it and i think it’s software limited. It’s just 300lbs heavier which isn’t much.

I just test drove both the performance PUP Y and the performance 3 PUP.
Overall very similar..

I must say the size of the Y is substantially nicer when your in it..it felt comfortable to me and decent size and the 3 well just feels compact..

Handling , similar but the 3 definitely does curves/ramps better...maybe a 25% improvement in my book?

Overall i really liked the Y, i wish the seats bolstered some more on the sides as a big guy and around curves it doesn’t hold me like my current sports car....then again its a crossover not a sports car..

Will Tesla ever release a software update to the Y Performance which will increase performance?
Given all the new competition eventually, they will have to do something to keep up with all the new kids on the block. Based on what Tesla has been able to extract from the "old" 1860 cells for the new S/X I believe the 2170s have much more OOMPH in them.

Reactions: DM231191
I traded in a Model 3 AWD + Accel boost for a MYP. Completely different vehicle and handling. Model Y is more comfortable to drive than the 3 but is a fat chonk with handling compared to my 2020 Model 3.
Agree 150% there. I have a current 22’ M3 LR w/boost and just recently a new 22’ MYP.
No comparison in handling…different animals.

The 3 seems faster tbh at all speeds. 🤷🏽‍♂️
The Y accelerates alright but does not provide the same ‘oomph’ as the 3 does.

Anecdotal feeling that’s all. Spec numbers would probably come out quite similar.

Between the two, I much prefer the 3 for zipping around and sheer driving fun. For a more comfortable jaunt with the family and picking up larger items, the Y.

Reactions: TXDawg
Agree 150% there. I have a current 22’ M3 LR w/boost and just recently a new 22’ MYP.
No comparison in handling…different animals.

The 3 seems faster tbh at all speeds. 🤷🏽‍♂️
The Y accelerates alright but does not provide the same ‘oomph’ as the 3 does.

Anecdotal feeling that’s all. Spec numbers would probably come out quite similar.

Between the two, I much prefer the 3 for zipping around and sheer driving fun. For a more comfortable jaunt with the family and picking up larger items, the Y.
Does your 2022 MYP have a whining sound coming from rear drive unit when doing about 50-55mph? I've had mine replaced already and the new one does the same thing. SUPER annoying.

I have both. the perception of acceleration is very different between the two. In fact It is similarly different than with my audi A3 and audi q3. On paper MYP and M3LR+ are very close with MYP having a slight edge of 0.2s better 0-60.
Also, on paper, audi A3 and audi Q3 both do 0-60 in 6 seconds.
But in reality, M3LR+ feels quicker somehow, the car is lighter, you seat closer to the ground and it is not a chunk!
The same also goes for audi A3 vs q3 comparison, even if on paper they are mire or less the same.
MYP never felt particularly quick to me due to its 2074kg weight, big size and high driver position.
M3LR+ feels like a rocket and the handling is like in sports cars.
Also note that according to spec you get 534hp with MYP and 532hp with M3LR+.
so basically the same power but the M3LR+ weighs much less...but still 0-60 on paper is 0.2s quicker with MYP...go figure...

Reactions: Destiny1701
I have both. the perception of acceleration is very different between the two. In fact It is similarly different than with my audi A3 and audi q3. On paper MYP and M3LR+ are very close with MYP having a slight edge of 0.2s better 0-60.
Also, on paper, audi A3 and audi Q3 both do 0-60 in 6 seconds.
But in reality, M3LR+ feels quicker somehow, the car is lighter, you seat closer to the ground and it is not a chunk!
The same also goes for audi A3 vs q3 comparison, even if on paper they are mire or less the same.
MYP never felt particularly quick to me due to its 2074kg weight, big size and high driver position.
M3LR+ feels like a rocket and the handling is like in sports cars.
Also note that according to spec you get 534hp with MYP and 532hp with M3LR+.
so basically the same power but the M3LR+ weighs much less...but still 0-60 on paper is 0.2s quicker with MYP...go figure...

As pointed out here 2+ years ago, you are not comparing apples to apples with those 0-60 times.

Tesla lists the P cars with rollout, and the non-P without.

The boosted LR model 3 is slightly faster than the MYP, not 0.2 slower.

Quickest MYP using a real calibrated measuring device like that is 3.55 with 1' rollout, 3.75 without it... so very slightly slower than the non-P Model 3 AWD with the boost upgrade.... but there's relatively few data points at the moment.

That's my post here from ~2.5 years ago pointing this out.

Checking draggy boards as of this post 2.5 years later it remains true, with the LR AWD+ Model 3 putting up slightly quicker times than the Y performance does in general... (there are 2 MUCH quicker Ys on the list, but one of the comments on one say is really a Model 3P, the other the guy claims it's a YP with some bizarre tire setup but it's like 0.3 quicker than any of the dozens and dozens of others on the list so sus either way)

Reactions: phantasms
aaah ok, thank you for explining, good to know, I did not know about reporting times with and without roll-out..
anyhow, it makes things even more confusing not being able to compare the specs 1:1..
Just did a dragy today with both on the same road and I can confirm that M3 LR with boost is indeed a bit faster, but the difference is quite small

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
My 22 PMY with 18" TSportLine tires/wheels. The tires had about 100 miles on them and had not broken in yet. Maybe I'll retest after I get more miles on them.
zmFE8Lr.png

5Ei6neU.png

Reactions: VipinLJ