Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model Y performance vs model 3 performance track mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello all,

I would love to upgrade from my model 3 SR+. Considering performance model but not sure model y or model 3 since I plan to take the care to track. How is the performance and driving dynamic of model Y on track mode vs model 3 on track mode? Do they all drive similar or very different?

hello all,

I would love to upgrade from my model 3 SR+. Considering performance model but not sure model y or model 3 since I plan to take the care to track. How is the performance and driving dynamic of model Y on track mode vs model 3 on track mode? Do they all drive similar or very different?

Have you driven a Model Y? If you're driving aggressively, the Model 3 is just simply better in every way because its much lighter. If you don't need the room, then get the 3...if you want more practicality, get the Y.

M3 will be better on the track. Both handling and acceleration are better.

MY has more room and is easier to get in/out of. Performance is slightly lower and handling night/day. The MYP handles ok for what it is but the M3 handles like it's on rails.

Reactions: TomServo
I’ve rented an M3P and only drive it around town. In that setting it just felt like a lower Model Y to me. I’m sure the M3 is much better on a track though, simply because of the packaging. Perhaps the MYP track mode would narrow the gap a little bit. I took my MYP to the track a few times last year and enjoyed it a lot, but I don’t really have anything to compare it to.

In my opinion the reason you take the MYP to the track is because it’s the only car you’ve got. It’s definitely capable, but it’s not a lower and lighter car like the M3.

Reactions: Jane4
I’ve rented an M3P and only drive it around town. In that setting it just felt like a lower Model Y to me. I’m sure the M3 is much better on a track though, simply because of the packaging. Perhaps the MYP track mode would narrow the gap a little bit. I took my MYP to the track a few times last year and enjoyed it a lot, but I don’t really have anything to compare it to.

In my opinion the reason you take the MYP to the track is because it’s the only car you’ve got. It’s definitely capable, but it’s not a lower and lighter car like the M3.
Great points. The M3 is a smaller and lighter package. So you get quicker 0-60 than MYP. While the MYP sits .6" lower than MYLR it's still a taller higher riding vehicle than M3 so the handling suffers. The M3 is like a go cart and you can really whip that car around with ease.

I would have gone with M3 but I have back issues. Getting down into the car and up and out was not as easy for me. MY was also more practical for me due to hatchback and more rear seat leg room.

Everything is a compromise. Still 3.5 sec 0-60 is very very fun and I doubt most would notice the difference in acceleration. The handling on twisty back rounds is a huge difference. I would imagine same would apply on track.

iirc, there was a two second gap as Seca for the tuned M3P vs tuned MYP from the CA based tuners. This however was in the past when the MYP didn't have track mode. W/o it there was a limit to how much steering angle you could apply before TC took over and it limited the MYP. We'll have to wait and see how much the gap closes if any, cuz remember the M3P has a weight advantage and physics always wins.

SUVs will always struggle on the track, compared to their lower, lighter and more aerodynamic sedan cousins. Suvs feel less nimble for the driver as well.
Struggle? Stop it with these generalities.

Reactions: Yelobird