Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance wheel change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked into this (also in Dallas) - you can sell your 21-inch Uber's for $2k-$2500 (FB Market, Craigslist, OfferUp) and for 19s you can go for
a) Gemini 19s, no matter what you read, they'll fit over the Performance brake calipers...this is cheapest option as I've seen them used anywhere from $800-$1300
b) Replika R241 19s, my favorite, for about $1100 shipped + buy tires (about $800)
c) Martian 19 inch rims are also a type others like for about $1200 shipped + buy tires

19 + 20 inch rims would give you a quieter & more comfortable ride & cheaper cost of tire replacement

I looked into this (also in Dallas) - you can sell your 21-inch Uber's for $2k-$2500 (FB Market, Craigslist, OfferUp) and for 19s you can go for
a) Gemini 19s, no matter what you read, they'll fit over the Performance brake calipers...this is cheapest option as I've seen them used anywhere from $800-$1300
b) Replika R241 19s, my favorite, for about $1100 shipped + buy tires (about $800)
c) Martian 19 inch rims are also a type others like for about $1200 shipped + buy tires

19 + 20 inch rims would give you a quieter & more comfortable ride & cheaper cost of tire replacement
Thanks for the reply. Forgot to mention my Y came with the Michelin all season tires and not sure if that makes the rides just as smooth as 19-20s.

My MYP came with the A/S tires, sold the complete set for $2,800 locally on FB Market here in NJ.

Got a set of Fast Wheels EV01(+) as I wanted something flow forged, hubcentric and aero. They have a number of other wheels as well. Paired them with Michelin ExtremeContact DSW 06+ tires and TMPS sensors from Tesla.

My motivation to ditch the 21s was for improved efficiency and ride quality as the roads are trash in much of NJ.

Reactions: Suns_PSD
My MYP came with the A/S tires, sold the complete set for $2,800 locally on FB Market here in NJ.

Got a set of Fast Wheels EV01(+) as I wanted something flow forged, hubcentric and aero. They have a number of other wheels as well. Paired them with Michelin ExtremeContact DSW 06+ tires and TMPS sensors from Tesla.

My motivation to ditch the 21s was for improved efficiency and ride quality as the roads are trash in much of NJ.
Any pics of them on your MYP?

Any pics of them on your MYP?

Not the best photo as they are a bit dirty, but would give you an idea of the overall look and feel. The exposed part of the wheels is a satin black and the wheel inserts are more of a flat black.

Attachments

• 66822529070__3A311EE4-2CA4-4166-9215-0144774BA262(2).jpg
    66822529070__3A311EE4-2CA4-4166-9215-0144774BA262(2).jpg
    476.5 KB · Views: 581
Reactions: Suns_PSD and Tulipo
Not the best photo as they are a bit dirty, but would give you an idea of the overall look and feel. The exposed part of the wheels is a satin black and the wheel inserts are more of a flat black.
How are you liking them?
Thinking about these or the same but 20s for my new red MYP.
What tires did you put on them, and did you get any extra protection of the rim vs the Uber turbines?

They have Continental ExtremContact DSW 06 Plus tires on them. Yes, they have much better rim protection then the summer tires that used to come on the Ubers. The new a/s tires the MYPs are shipping with are also much improved in that area.

I’ll get a photo a bit later today.

Did you find a vendor that sells them packaged with the tires plus TPMS?

No, grabbed the TPMS from Tesla store and tires from Tire Rack and shipped to my local tire shop and had them mount/balance them for me. Definitely the cheapest way to go is find a set of Gemini wheels and have the covers painted black if you want the all black aero look.

How has the mileage been?

I am averaging 272 Wh/mi.

Granted, there are tons of variables, but I generally keep the car at 69°, listen to music at low to moderate volumes, and live in a hilly part of Northern NJ.
For perspective, did you drive the Uberturbines long enough to get your Wh/mi?

Said differently, did you get an efficiency gain? I’ve read on here that Martian 19” and TSportline run around the same as Uberturbines so hoping true Gemini will actually be better.

No, I have no point of reference as I immediately changed them app on delivery.

That said, the Wh/mi EPA rating for the MYP is 304, so I appear to be beating that estimate, in fact the MYLR is rated at 270.
With those wheels on your MYP,(is it MYP or PYM BTW? I’ve seen it both ways here ) there’s really no reason it shouldn’t get similar range to the LRMY. with the exception of how heavy your right foot is.
Im even more interested in knowing if it’s the weight or the wheel width or the profile of the face of the wheel that’s achieving this, or a combination of any of them…

With those wheels on your MYP,(is it MYP or PYM BTW? I’ve seen it both ways here ) there’s really no reason it shouldn’t get similar range to the LRMY. with the exception of how heavy your right foot is.
Im even more interested in knowing if it’s the weight or the wheel width or the profile of the face of the wheel that’s achieving this, or a combination of any of them…
I’ve been pouring over posts on this for a while. From what I can make out, it’s truly a combination. There are a number of MYP posts about 19” Martian and TSportline wheels giving equal to slightly worse efficiency than 21” Uberturbines despite significant unsprung weight savings. This indicates that, while big and heavy, the Uberturbines make up for it vs Martian and TSportline in their shape.

Given GrandEnigma’s results, I’d propose that Gemini-type wheels with covers are lighter but benefit from more efficient design to increase efficiency. Also, believe GrandEnigma is a MYP.