Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance Wheels and Winter Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

limmer17

Dec 30, 2021
NJ
I have a Model Y Performance on order with ETA of mid Jan/Feb. I tried to order the Gemini Winter Wheel package but Tesla cancelled my order. I've been reading the various threads looking for recommendations. Any opinions on whether it would be better to go with 19" or 20" wheels. I'm looking at ENKEI PERFORMANCE XM-6 20X9.5 +40mm offset with Yokohama Bluearth 275/40R20 winter tires. Will these fit without issues? Any feedback is appreciated.

I went with a 19” set from Tsportline. I figured 19” would probably ride slightly better and more sidewall should be better for winter conditions. I don’t know if the set you’ve looked at fits, but most online shops should be able to verify if the wheels fit the MYP.

Reactions: ClaytonW
Why did they cancel the order? Many confirmations that Gemini’s fit the MYP.
Model Y 19" Gemini Wheel and Winter Tire Package
This package is not compatible with Model Y Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive configured with 21" Performance Wheels.
255/45R19 Pirelli WINTER SOTTOZERO 3 has a V speed rating = 149 MPH max, but MYP is 155 MPH max speed, so the tires are technically out of spec for speed, lawyers probably do not allow them to sell them to be used on MYP in case some idiot actually went faster than 149 MPH and there was an issue/accident.

Model Y 19" Gemini Wheel and Winter Tire Package

255/45R19 Pirelli WINTER SOTTOZERO 3 has a V speed rating = 149 MPH max, but MYP is 155 MPH max speed, so the tires are technically out of spec for speed, lawyers probably do not allow them to sell them to be used on MYP in case some idiot actually went faster than 149 MPH and there was an issue/accident.
In a new twist Tesla is shipping 2022 Performance Model Y vehicles without the rear spoiler due to supply issues. Tesla is limiting the top speed of these Performance Model Y vehicles to 135 MPH (same as the Long Range Model Y.) The spoiler is needed to provide stability at speeds above 135 MPH up to 155 MPH. Thus the 19" Gemini wheel and winter tire package is now compatible with the Performance Model Y.

Reactions: C-Bus Y
In a new twist Tesla is shipping 2022 Performance Model Y vehicles without the rear spoiler due to supply issues. Tesla is limiting the top speed of these Performance Model Y vehicles to 135 MPH (same as the Long Range Model Y.) The spoiler is needed to provide stability at speeds above 135 MPH up to 155 MPH. Thus the 19" Gemini wheel and winter tire package is now compatible with the Performance Model Y.
Maybe the lawyers could simply draft a document for performance owners to sign stating they won’t take vehicle over 135 while using the Gemini wheels with snow tires.

Heck, they are comfortable with drivers simply saying they are the passenger to play video games when the vehicle is more than capable of detecting someone sitting in the passenger seat.

I wonder if you guys have considered going with a narrower than stock width for your winter tires and going with a square setup. I was thinking that I can go 245 all around on 19" rims. I've always gone with a square setup for winters in my previous cars. Narrower tires usually cut through deeper snow a bit better. I find that I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit of handling and drive more conservatively in the winter months anyway.

I wonder if you guys have considered going with a narrower than stock width for your winter tires and going with a square setup. I was thinking that I can go 245 all around on 19" rims. I've always gone with a square setup for winters in my previous cars. Narrower tires usually cut through deeper snow a bit better. I find that I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit of handling and drive more conservatively in the winter months anyway.
If you do go with 245 width tires the load index, load rating Tesla specifies for the 19" wheels is 104 XL.

Reactions: EVTee
When I went to the service center to get my spoiler replaced due to one side having a bit of a gap (under one month into my ownership), the technician told me that the spoiler doesn't have any actual function and its only job is to look good. He said if I wasn't happy with how it looked because it had too much of a gap then the spoiler wasn't doing its job and they would replace it. I actually made another appointment later to get it replaced again before I got rear-ended...
So anyway, based on my experience with Tesla SC, it seems crazy that they would lower the top speed of the MYP to 135MPH due to the lack of a spoiler. The spoiler is literally taped onto the liftgate, so it's hard to believe that it actually can be counted on to provide downforce at high speeds. But I guess since we don't live in Germany it doesn't really matter.

I've been reading that 2022 MYP's may be shipped with All Season tires which would solve my problem. However, when I chatted with Tesla they said MYP's are shipped with summer tires. Does anyone know how I can definitively confirm what tires will be shipped or is it a wait and see game?

I've been reading that 2022 MYP's may be shipped with All Season tires which would solve my problem. However, when I chatted with Tesla they said MYP's are shipped with summer tires. Does anyone know how I can definitively confirm what tires will be shipped or is it a wait and see game?
Mine was delivered on the 29th and it comes with Pilot Sport All Season 4. Maybe I'm blind, but I don't see an M+S rating on these tires, but the normal non-OEM ones usually do.

When I went to the service center to get my spoiler replaced due to one side having a bit of a gap (under one month into my ownership), the technician told me that the spoiler doesn't have any actual function and its only job is to look good. He said if I wasn't happy with how it looked because it had too much of a gap then the spoiler wasn't doing its job and they would replace it. I actually made another appointment later to get it replaced again before I got rear-ended...
So anyway, based on my experience with Tesla SC, it seems crazy that they would lower the top speed of the MYP to 135MPH due to the lack of a spoiler. The spoiler is literally taped onto the liftgate, so it's hard to believe that it actually can be counted on to provide downforce at high speeds. But I guess since we don't live in Germany it doesn't really matter.
I can't recall where I read that the top speed of the Performance Model Y is being limited due to the missing spoiler.

FYI taping things is pretty normal practice, including functional aero not to mention a lot of other body parts.

And our spoiler, and most, do not generate downforce, they counteract lift. Nuanced difference, but it's not a wing/airfoil

• Informative
Reactions: gx9901