Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance with LFP battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MYP delivery date is scheduled between Jan 15 to Feb 12. I was emailing my Tesla rep to ask about the AMG screen and all season tires. While communicating, I asked if they knew if I would be getting the new 4680 battery since production seems to be close.

I was told that I would be getting an LFP battery. Not even a 2170, but a lithium ion phosphate battery…. I was told that all MYPs made after November 1,2021 have LFP batteries.

I don’t know what to think. I don’t like that mg car will be heavier as a result, that cold weather performance may be impacted, and that I may lose range.

However, it is referenced as a safer and longer lasting option. Also, that I can change to 100%

Does Anyone have a MYP with LFP batteries that can share their tho and experience?

You were lied to, there is no LR LFP battery in a production vehicle currently.
I was septical when looking at the title of this thread. My understanding is that the LFP batteries have a lesser density,
thus they take more space, so I believe only the SR Model 3 with a lower battery capacity can fit in the Model 3 chassis.
I think the Chinese build Model 3 SR have an LFP battery capacity of around 60 kWh.

I get it. I couldn’t believe it either. I see no articles on this other than SR in some model 3s. And the purchasers were given the option.

I’ve spoken to two different reps. I don’t know what to tell you.

Check it out.
67DF9B81-2444-4720-A6A2-8B307EC16E5C.jpeg

I was septical when looking at the title of this thread. My understanding is that the LFP batteries have a lesser density,
thus they take more space, so I believe only the SR Model 3 with a lower battery capacity can fit in the Model 3 chassis.
I think the Chinese build Model 3 SR have an LFP battery capacity of around 60 kWh.
I hope you’re right. I was told by two different reps the same thing.

When they mention the LFP battery isn't that a reference to the small battery to run the accessories? Not the large battery for driving.
The 2022 definitely has the 12 volt battery replaced with a new lithium ion. I’m not sure why Tesla who are know for the battery innovation would have a 12 volt at all!

But the email exchanges I’ve had with them were very clearly about the car battery. In fact, they even stated that I would now be able to charge it to 100%.

In my reply to them, I did blast them saying that a heavier batter in a performance car was ridiculous. All they did was I confirm it was LFP.

I thing this forum is right. It’s likely agents that don’t know better. If Tesla was going to put LFP in a MYP, it would have been publicized heavily.

The 2022 definitely has the 12 volt battery replaced with a new lithium ion. I’m not sure why Tesla who are know for the battery innovation would have a 12 volt at all!

But the email exchanges I’ve had with them were very clearly about the car battery. In fact, they even stated that I would now be able to charge it to 100%.

In my reply to them, I did blast them saying that a heavier batter in a performance car was ridiculous. All they did was I confirm it was LFP.

I thing this forum is right. It’s likely agents that don’t know better. If Tesla was going to put LFP in a MYP, it would have been publicized heavily.

I dont even think its possible for a LFP model 3/Y to meet its acceleration specs. The model 3 SR+ with the LFP battery is .3 seconds slower (5.6 to 60 instead of 5.3) so there is no chance a LFP tesla could get to 3.1 or 3.5.

Contrast that with the fact that (unfortunately) there is plenty of evidence of them "being confused about the question" lets call it, and.. well... /shrug.

Unfortunately, your first mistake was trying to ask them about "4680 batteries". The only thing they might know about that would be learned online (someplace like here, actually). Its best to keep questions to them very simple and direct and not exploratory in any fashion (lol).

That sounds like I am throwing shade toward them I guess, and I really am not, I just think they answer so many questions they mix up information they give out.

Reactions: Redline_
If you are getting a Model Y with AMG screen, definetely you got a fake one. BTW Rachael Lopez is no longer with Tesla Canada...
but she disclosed the right info: all Model Y for Canada will be from Shanghai factory, some with LFP battery. Austin is scheduled for US only..

If you are getting a Model Y with AMG screen, definetely you got a fake one. BTW Rachael Lopez is no longer with Tesla Canada...
but she disclosed the right info: all Model Y for Canada will be from Shanghai factory, some with LFP battery. Austin is scheduled for US only..
So Canada is getting SR MY? LFP is only for SR vehicles. And where are you getting this China info? The screenshot just mentions LFP, it doesn't mention where the cars are coming from. LFP batteries are made in China and shipped here to be put in cars, the cars are not being imported from China.

And Rachel Lopez has been fired since Jan 4? Maybe for giving out bad information...

THE battery that charges to 100% is LFP? So no other batteries charge to 100%? I know I am not supposed to for long periods of time. But to say I can't? That's news to me.

All 2022 Model Y and 3 are coming with LFP batteries?

This is why Tesla at least needs a fact-checking department if not a marketing department. Then they can send the actual facts to all the SAs instead of letting them spread these half truths and falsehoods.

Reactions: Redline_