Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tholland

Plaid/Black&ebony/21in wheels/OD- 5/31/21
Apr 22, 2019
Ocean City, MD
Hey everyone, our family normally makes a trip to Ocean city, MD on the weekends. However with what is all going on in the world, we have been staying in OC for the most part. Our trip from Dc metro area to OC is about 2 hours and 50 mins to 3+ hours depending on condition and traffic. So we did some rough testIng. This is by no means a super science test. Just sharing what we saw comparing our two performance Tesla on a rather short long distances trip. So for some that are wondering how efficiency compares between Model Y performance with PUP and the Model 3 Performance with PUP here you go. Same trip, just about the same conditions. This is not super scientific, it’s just to show that they’re pretty close for the most part. NO heat was used. ( only to Defog the windshield if needed). Again, just showing what get got. Model 3 average MPH: 54.96 Model Y average MPH: 52.34. As you can see, temps were fairly close. This is what is cool to see, we left with 90% on both cars and arrived with 3% more on the Model Y than the 3. I suspect that is from the use of a heat pump vs resistive heating in the 3 when we used it for defogging the windshield. We averaged about 2 bacons on the seat heater in both cars. Note: the model y trip we did encounter some road work been done and we had to detour a little over 2 miles and the speed limit on that road was about 25-30 mph but again, this is just rough numbers to see how they compare. The speed limit around this area (DC metro area) is about 55-60mph. Highest is 65 for about 80miles of the trip. We ran about 65-70mph during that period and then about 2-3mph above or direct speed limit through speed limit once we cross the bay bridge. As police are very picky about speed on the eastern shore. Once we crossed into Delaware the speed limit is mostly 45mph-55mph. Mostly 45mph and 50mph. I’ve got a ticket in Delaware and so did my spouse on back to back weekends about two years ago for going 5mph over so we DO NOT exceed the speed limit by any means in Delaware. So here are our two comparisons picture.

would love to see others do this and post in here to see how over configuration match up to their model 3.

Model Y LRAWD vs Model 3 LRAWD with sport wheels vs Gemini/aero wheels. That would be good to see as well.
It’s always to good to see this kind of info. I truly believe Tesla will sell a lot of Model Ys, and seeing numbers of how it compares to the sedan version of itself is good knowledge for someone or families trying to decide if the range impacts are very severe or just moderate or even mild.

F8A85DA9-CA22-4662-AA01-29BFE16FB991.jpeg
FA825F13-AF0D-4882-8BE8-92FCAE5DFB1C.jpeg

Never thought about calling it bacon, but now that you mention it, the icon does look similar to bacon.

Thanks for sharing your comparison, it was a great read !
no problem at all.... hopefully more people can do similar comparisons between the other models...

it would be funny if you turned on the seat heater and heard a frying bacon sound.... I would get a kick out of that.... but its really not needed.... lol

This is interesting and I have no doubt they are close but can't really be considered valid. You have the heat on 75 in the 3 and seat heaters on in the picture.

Also the battery percentage is inaccurate often. Besides that it is a percentage of battery not range unless you change it to that. If your model 3 is has 30% left it had 93 miles. If the model Y is at 33% it had 92miles.

Still close.

This is interesting and I have no doubt they are close but can't really be considered valid. You have the heat on 75 in the 3 and seat heaters on in the picture.

Also the battery percentage is inaccurate often. Besides that it is a percentage of battery not range unless you change it to that. If your model 3 is has 30% left it had 93 miles. If the model Y is at 33% it had 92miles.

Still close.

First, as I'm sure you know, the heat/AC setting refers back to whatever you set them to in the app when you exit the car, not whether it is on. Second, we did not use heat unless the windshield fogged. (I need to see where I'm going.) Also, if you look at the display, it clearly states since xyzzy time. When I got to our vacation condo, I went upstairs and unpacked the car and then it dawned on me, to take a picture of the stats to see how they compare to each other; that is why the model 3 had the seat warmer on. (We used the seat heater on the model y as well.... I stated that in my OP.) Third, I don't really look at the miles per hour %: it tends to be wildly inaccurate, so it's why I didn't add that into my admittedly non-scientific comparison. I left our home with 90% in both cars, drove the same distance, and route, at roughly the same speed (Model Y had a small 2-mile detour due to road work) at the same temperature and damn near the same wind speed and direction.

We know the Model Y has at best a range of 316 with the 19" wheel setup. Tesla has reduced that range on the performance cars due to the bigger, heavier, and wider/staggered setup of the wheels. What my comparison shows is that both cars, which have a 19-mile range gap between both performance variants, used roughly the same % of their battery to travel the same distance at the same speed, temp, wind direction and speed. The Model Y has more stacked against it: heavier, taller, bigger wheels, less aerodynamic, etc. But the difference is in how they heat the cabin. I think that is what caused that slight 3% more bump in the battery than the 3. Again, you are entitled to your thoughts and that's why I like forums to see others' opinions. My spouse runs warm normally; therefore, it's normally kept colder in the Y versus me (who is cold all the time; I keep my app setting at 75in my model 3P, thats why when I went down and unlocked the car it showed my settings last and the temp from my app). lets discuss, I like forums for this very reason.

• Informative
Reactions: empiredown and MY-Y
Weird my heat doesn't turn on based on the app unless I hit climate on. Neither do my seats. If I exit the car with them off and come back they are still off. I can't remember the last time I used the app to preheat though and only my girlfriend likes heated seats so I've never really used those in the app either

Anyway what matters is both cars showing 253h/mi. If that's right they were consuming power at the same rate. That's really good because some people have posted rates a lot higher in the forums.

If you still have both cars it would be interesting to just turn on the heat with them parked and see the power consumption difference.

Reactions: Tholland
Thanks for taking the time to measure and post this

I'm also in MD and drive similar speeds. It looks like your range is 296 with the PUP, which is fantastic. I'm getting the 19" wheels, so it looks possible to get the 316 mile rated range.

Weird my heat doesn't turn on based on the app unless I hit climate on. Neither do my seats. If I exit the car with them off and come back they are still off. I can't remember the last time I used the app to preheat though and only my girlfriend likes heated seats so I've never really used those in the app either

Anyway what matters is both cars showing 253h/mi. If that's right they were consuming power at the same rate. That's really good because some people have posted rates a lot higher in the forums.

If you still have both cars it would be interesting to just turn on the heat with them parked and see the power consumption difference.

you know, thats a good idea... I think I might do that test actually. once we get back home (where the model y is) ill try that.. charge both cars to about 70% and then let the heat run at a set temp of 75 for 20-30 mins and see how that comes out.... good idea...

thats what I was getting at... they're consuming at about the same rate. and that shows just how well the model y is when it comes to efficiency... we love both cars. we are currently trying to see how we like them for road trips. so far we like the model y for road trips but the 3 for curve road, but im not sold on that judgement yet because I have thrown that model y into some of my favorite turns and it handle them a lot better than I thought it would. now when my track package comes that should change things a lot for the model 3 and sure it will effect the range a lot more then

Thanks for taking the time to measure and post this

I'm also in MD and drive similar speeds. It looks like your range is 296 with the PUP, which is fantastic. I'm getting the 19" wheels, so it looks possible to get the 316 mile rated range.
oh you will for sure do a lot better than what we are doing with the YPup. if we had those wheels im sure the model y could do low 200wh/m without issue. our lifetime wh/m is 271. so im sure that will go up and down over time. should stay around that for now as the summer is great for EVs. I would assume it will be around 280ish with mixed driving and mix weather ( summer and winter.)