Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance with really heavy Wheels/Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When Tesla delivered their brand new model Y to customer, the two main issues that people complain about the 21” Uberturbine Wheel are the heavy weight and wheel sticking out pass the tire. (Easy to curb the wheels)

Brian from i1Tesla and I went on a chat and discuss what will be the best of both world 21” setup for his Model Y, and here is what he is looking for:

1: Fully forged
2: Lightweight
3: Factory 21” fitment
4: More sidewall protection
5: Rotatable

Here is the result, we made it happened.
Signature wheel SV503: (Store Link)
-Weight 24lb each (21” Uberturbine weight 38lb)
-21x9 ET34 & ET29 (21” OEM fitment)
-0.5 narrower width for more sidewall protection
-Rotatable setup ( tire need to be dismount and swap around. Think of a $100 for wheel rotation every 10k miles)

View attachment 543354

If someone were going to go this route, it would be way more reasonable to just add a 5mm spacer and use lugs that bite more under the wheel (same cost just need the rim hole to be big enough) and you wouldn't need to deal with breaking down the tires every rotation. Just do the normal 4 wheel rotation and add the spacers to the axle that needs it. Those lugs are good for up to 8mm (usually).

I already reached out to both Titan and Martian and they don't have anything ready yet...I'm curious on the offsets for Brian's from Signature. I measured for mine and I am going much more aggressive than +29/+34. We shall see how they look when they are on but I am betting you could go between 4-6mm more. The current setup is 7/16" (11mm) in on the front and 15/32" (12mm) in on the back. Then by making the rim .5 more narrow, you have to subtract another 6mm from the stock setup.

I went Avant Garde and will see how they turn out...will post specs when they arrive. Shooting for 10lb per wheel weight saving using the exact same tire. Will see if and how much it impact range versus the 21's I have now.

Can i ask what offsets you went with? I am looking to do a 9/10 staggered setup and just trying to figue out what offsets i wanna run

Here are the offsets specs of my wheels above.

Attachments

• IMG_0966.jpg
    IMG_0966.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 258
I dropped 10 lbs per corner on my 2014 P85+ going from the stock 19's to 19 X 9 in Titan7's. In city driving has been running 260- to 275 watts per mile and on highway has been running 300 to 330 watts per mile, a significant efficiency gain, I am sure if I moved from the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+'s back to Primacy MXM4's that it would be even more efficient. YMMV. Tires have a larger impact to range, but love the lighter steering feel, I am running stock size 245/45ZR19 98Y on these wheels as well.

Also note: new tires always show lower range until they wear in... they have more rolling resistance when they are new.

Not really, the aftermarket ones they were charging me for had 2 costs, the actual unit and the black stem for the rims (silver is cheaper for some reason) but the Tesla ones are the same cost whether you choose black or silver. So it is $300 from Tesla but the others were about $260. That's not a huge difference. Obviously, if one of these other aftermarket BT ones work, they are only $175 or so. Would be nice but at least we can get them from Tesla...

Tesla TPMS sensors. Choice of black or silver.IMG_0948.jpg IMG_0947.jpg

Just got my M610’s. 61lbs rear and 54 front. Rear tires are huge and heavy. Rear rim is actually lighter due to the offsets. You could shave more weight if you did not have the lower offset but I wanted it aggressive for the look. Will update with some Wh/mi info later. FWIW, the ride is way better!!!View attachment 545499View attachment 545500 View attachment 545501View attachment 545502
When you installed the M610s, did you just remove the rotor retention bolt? I’m trying to install M610 19x9, but they don’t fit with the bolt and my shop is hesitant to just remove it. i’ve seen other posts suugesting to throw them out.