Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y pick up fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered a Model Y, delivery date came in less than a week (4-8 weeks original estimate). Good or bad thing??. Because this particular vehicle was not ready for delivery. It may have been rejected already and that's why it was available so quickly, just a thought. Within 1 minute we noticed major marks and scratches (not scuffs, we are talking marks and scratches) on the white seats, the rear seat was out of alignment, (known issue on many Model Y's), hilariously the 'R' was missing from DUAL MOTOR badge in the rear !! The floor manager said no big deal, we could bring it back later and they would change out the seats. We said no thank you. We'll come back another day for another vehicle.
How these obvious defects were not found at the dealership before we arrive, I have no idea.

We never even got to checking the list of other fit and finish issues that are reported all over youtube videos.

Background: have bought many models of new cars through the years, Porsche, Ford, BMW, VW. I'm not even picky when it comes to small things. But had not encountered such noticeable and major defects on any other new vehicle. So our first experience at Tesla delivery was a fail. We may need to switch our delivery dealership because this particular one was not impressive. Here's to hoping our next Tesla delivery experience is a success

hilariously the 'R' was missing from DUAL MOTOR badge in the rear !!

And to think you could be driving the much anticipated new Dual MOTO version right now!

Seriously, this kind of stuff is frustrating.

My VIN 60xx Model Y had enough problems that the day before delivery, I got a call that delivery would have to be postponed so it could spend 3 weeks in the body shop, and required parts get ordered. Seriously, they didn't notice issues that take 3 weeks in the body shop to fix until the day before my delivery? When I finally picked up the car, there were still issues with the paint, chips, imperfections, panel alignment issues, crazy when you assume going to a body shop should catch these things. I have an early VIN S and 3 with no significant cosmetic issues so was disappointed that Tesla seems to slide on Model Y initial finish quality (at least for my n=3 Teslas).

Reactions: Picasso
Do you know, are there good build dates? For example, after July. Assume the later is better? (Model Y new)
Checking online, looks like build date is on sticker on the side panel of the front door. I'll definitely check it next time.

The rep at a nearby service center said that they’ve been seeing improvements, but I really don’t know personally. I’d like to believe there is improvement being made though.

If you judge the quality of all Teslas by what you read on the forums you are being mislead. Owners that have no concerns don't post on the forums......and most owners don't post at all.
A product is judged by its worst examples, not its best.

Dismissing Tesla’s poor quality because sometimes they make a perfect car is like saying you are the greatest marksman because you can hit the target dead center sometimes.

Tesla needs to improve their product quality and consistency or it will continue to cost them.

Realistically, I’d expect their quality to improve once this COVID thing is properly handled. Normally, launch problems are fixed within 3-6 months.

For Tesla, maybe a year after launch.

Last edited:
As someone just teetering on the edge ready to click order...I find this idea of so many rejects and their pushing rejects a bit...well concerning.
& I find it interesting they still don't list any used or inventory models on their site, like they do for the other models. What are they doing with all these rejects and even more so the 1 week returns that come back with miles on them?

It's all about dollars and moving the car.....I understand that some issues are cosmetic and minor and may not be an issue to me at all while someone else would reject it. I see that a lot in the photos show on this forum. I would probably accept some of them....
But Tesla's sales model is in a way working against them.

Personally I might be willing to take someone else's reject...but I'm like most folks and not really keen on that idea of one being pushed on me like they seem to be doing. In this regard it might be better if I could walk the lot and pick one from the selection that meets my standards... like a traditional dealership.

Reactions: BlindPass
Update: Second Y pickup a success! Found no cosmetic nor finish issues, as we had on the first one. All systems are go.
Manufacturing date 6/20.
We did change to the black interior due to the scratches and marks we saw on the first one with white interior. Not saying white interior has issues, we just decided to change to avoid running into it again.
My conclusion, thoroughly inspect your specific vehicle before accepting it and leaving the lot.

Update: Second Y pickup a success! Found no cosmetic nor finish issues, as we had on the first one. All systems are go.
Manufacturing date 6/20.
We did change to the black interior due to the scratches and marks we saw on the first one with white interior. Not saying white interior has issues, we just decided to change to avoid running into it again.
My conclusion, thoroughly inspect your specific vehicle before accepting it and leaving the lot.

pics please?

:)

glad to hear the 2nd attempt was a success.

Ordered a Model Y, delivery date came in less than a week (4-8 weeks original estimate). Good or bad thing??. Because this particular vehicle was not ready for delivery. It may have been rejected already and that's why it was available so quickly, just a thought. Within 1 minute we noticed major marks and scratches (not scuffs, we are talking marks and scratches) on the white seats, the rear seat was out of alignment, (known issue on many Model Y's), hilariously the 'R' was missing from DUAL MOTOR badge in the rear !! The floor manager said no big deal, we could bring it back later and they would change out the seats. We said no thank you. We'll come back another day for another vehicle.
How these obvious defects were not found at the dealership before we arrive, I have no idea.

We never even got to checking the list of other fit and finish issues that are reported all over youtube videos.

Background: have bought many models of new cars through the years, Porsche, Ford, BMW, VW. I'm not even picky when it comes to small things. But had not encountered such noticeable and major defects on any other new vehicle. So our first experience at Tesla delivery was a fail. We may need to switch our delivery dealership because this particular one was not impressive. Here's to hoping our next Tesla delivery experience is a success

So what ended up happening? Did you get a brand new car or?