Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y popularity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Neilio

Jul 8, 2020
Brentford
I know I've mentioned a few times the model Y is just not my thing (from a design and body type point of view) bit I want it to do well and it appears to be.

I ahbe seen so many in West London, an absolute tonne of them, and it's very pleasing.

Is the rest of the country like this? Is the model y getting ubiquitous?

Interesting that March saw

6,464 Model Y's sold
6,457 Model 3's sold

But the year to date is only

7,774 Model Y's sold
7,773 Model 3's sold

So that means there was only

1,310 Model Y's
1,316 Model 3's

Sold between Jan-Feb

I would if the est. delivery as mainly being MAY 2022 was a deciding factor for a lot of people.

Also interesting at how close the figures are for the Model Y and Model 3. Near identical.

Sold between Jan-Feb

All of those (bar a handful) were sold in February. Historically there have ben no ships delivering to UK early in the quarter. That may change when Berlin produces RHD as they will be able to get them "to market" more quickly than having to put them on a boat and sail them half way round the world.

I would if the est. delivery as mainly being MAY 2022 was a deciding factor for a lot of people

There are unlikely to be any in April (start of a quarter) so the next tranche will be May and June (depending on the Shanghai lockdown and how that impacts production ... and how the ships logistics gets mucked up / redeployed as a consequence)

In late March, I had reason to drive about 1500 miles up and down the country.

It was noticeable, at all superchargers, just how many 22 plate MYs there are.

My anecdotal evidence - perhaps new owners are getting out and about to test their range and charging, but they are very visible.

Tony

Reactions: Neilio
Live in Shrewsbury and seen 1 other Model Y in the 4 weeks I’ve had mine. It was on the way home from Luton on the M54 (also a white one with inductions). We had a little moment as it overtook me. Saw none at Rugby SuC whilst there. Feel like most are down South but I’m not complaining as mine gets a lot of attention and the vanity gets the better of me and I love it.

#midlifecrisis

Reactions: Neilio
I think you’re all seeing me…! I was in Edinburgh 2 weeks ago and on the M54 last week.

Im hoping it’s because they’re a striking and imposing car rather than looking a bit awkward, sadly I think it might be the latter from some angles, front on especially, but I’m still happy with it.

I've only seen one on the roads so far. We didn't get the same excitement from sitting in the Y as we did with the 3, it feels more like an old person's car somehow? That's why we ended up going for the 3. I get why it is selling well though as the model 3 has its drawbacks in terms of practicality.

I've only seen one on the roads so far. We didn't get the same excitement from sitting in the Y as we did with the 3, it feels more like an old person's car somehow? That's why we ended up going for the 3. I get why it is selling well though as the model 3 has its drawbacks in terms of practicality.
I think it's the shape. It's just really plug ugly. Definitely designed for people who go for substance over style. Hence why it looks like an old folks car. I can't see young people getting excited by it;

Definitely designed for people who go for substance over style

Tick !

I ain't paying for "looks" on a depreciating asset like a car. no special wheels, hub caps, or any other candyfloss on my cars. They don't get washed nor coveted I'm afraid. But that's just me ...

I'll pay extra for what happens when I put my foot down though, and for safety, and for things that reduce driver effort - so that I arrive more refreshed on long trips.

Reactions: bruce4000