Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y popularity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought one for the practicality and interior space whilst not being an especially big car to drive. Looks are okay for me - quarter and side views I quite like but would admit that I avoid looking at it from directly in front or behind too often...

3's are definitely still more common here in the south west but that's not surprising given the time that each has been on sale for. Occasionally see other Y's around.

Reactions: kcrane
3's are definitely still more common here in the south west but that's not surprising given the time that each has been on sale for. Occasionally see other Y's around.
Same here in Bucks/Northants. M3s have been a very common sight over the last 12 months. Considering the very short time MYs have been available, they are not exactly a rare sight either. When I picked our MY up from the NEC last month there were a lot more MYs than M3s waiting to be collected.

I bet there will be more Ys sold noww the M3 is the same price. I mean, if I was choosing and there was no price difference I'd choose a Y because "Y not"?

On the other hand, having driven them back to back I prefer the M3. Much more dynamic.

Reactions: kcrane
Agree that the M3 is a more engaging drive, it’s much fun.

I bought my M3 in 2019, they were pretty rare back then but there are now loads of them in this part of South Wales. Which is a good thing. I’ve yet to see a MY in the wild.

We are trading our M3 in for a MY for three primary reasons:
1) Better for the dog as he can travel in the hatchback rather than the back seat.
2) Higher driving position, wife currently has a Renault Captur and prefers the higher perspective.
3) Reset to a new Tesla with 4 years warranty and recent improvements.

Looks wise, the M3 is sleeker and sportier looking, obviously. Ours is red, it looks great. The Model Y obviously sits taller and looks a little plumper, but its not a square SUV thankfully and given the space and practicality it offers, it’s pretty aerodynamic. I think it looks better from the rear than the M3 too. So looks wise, happy enough with it. We’ve ordered blue for a change, think it suits the MY better than red.

Wont be glamping in the MY though, our vehicle strategy is now 1 car (MY when it arrives) and 1 VW campervan for some decadent diesel-fuelled weekend trips. I’d rather not have bought a diesel but electric campers are years off yet.

No Budweiser will ever darken the door of my campervan fridge :)
I think that's an unnecessarily broad statement. 🍻

Screenshot 2022-04-23 at 17.56.12.png

No Budweiser will ever darken the door of my campervan fridge :)
Brits drink warm beers - is that not what most (not all) in America think? So bit confused when you mentioned fridge! Our sunny days are few days in a year when mostly we haven’t planned any trips outside and we are all at our local pubs where anyhow according to some Americans we drink warm beer :).

Conflict of interest: No American Buds, never ever, not even in the middle of Nevada.

Last edited:
Reactions: interbear
I've owned and loved 3 M3's and now I love my MY.
There is no comparison.
The MY is bigger, a better drive,
a better looking car,
a more comfortable ride,
more comfortable seating positions in every seat,
the Geminis look much better than the M3 18" wheel covers
the rear and side views of the car are spectacular,
the front is not any uglier than the M£, they are both boring
and with my driving style my M$ is more economical.
I have a second one on order in 6 months and I will trade my current one in against it again at a profit!.
I cannot understand why anybody would order a M3 rather than an MY at basically the same price!

Reactions: dangrenade
I've owned and loved 3 M3's and now I love my MY.
There is no comparison.
The MY is bigger, a better drive,
a better looking car,
a more comfortable ride,
more comfortable seating positions in every seat,
the Geminis look much better than the M3 18" wheel covers
the rear and side views of the car are spectacular,
the front is not any uglier than the M£, they are both boring
and with my driving style my M$ is more economical.
I have a second one on order in 6 months and I will trade my current one in against it again at a profit!.
I cannot understand why anybody would order a M3 rather than an MY at basically the same price!

I agree with most of your reasons for preferring the MY. Add the hatchback practicality and it’s a winner. “Better drive” is very subjective though, I will enjoy the higher driving position and comfort of the MY when it arrives, rather than the lower sportier position in the M3. But those with better knees than me may think very differently and prefer the M3.

I am also intrigued at why or how you’ve managed to have 3 M3s in a relatively short period of 3 years. And that after a year you’ll be changing the MY for a new one. What inspired those changes? Just fancy a new car every year?