Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y popularity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wont be glamping in the MY though, our vehicle strategy is now 1 car (MY when it arrives) and 1 VW campervan for some decadent diesel-fuelled weekend trips. I’d rather not have bought a diesel but electric campers are years off yet.
Love the VW Campervans but I've seen too many on the back of pickup trucks to consider them as serious holiday conveyances.

Luckily there is a modern alternative, coming soon.

I'm pretty sure Tesla are pulling out the stops in order to convert Model 3 orders into Model Y. Firstly by deferring a £5K price rise on the Y (it will come at some point) so there is no financial reason, and secondly by pushing the estimated delivery on 3's all the way in 2023. There's clearly no particularly good reason at the moment why there would be more Ys in August than 3.
My suspicion is that they want to make Y the default so as Giga Berlin starts making RHD they end up shipping from there and release capacity in China. RHD Model 3 from Berlin is far behind Y.
This is all good news to me, ordered a replacement 3 in Jan at the old prices, now due in June. Almost certainly will make a profit on it when I sell it again.

Reactions: kelvin 660
Love the VW Campervans but I've seen too many on the back of pickup trucks to consider them as serious holiday conveyances.

Fingers crossed we have a hassle free experience but the new van warranty and cover provides some reassurance. I actually wanted to hold out for the Buzz and put off buying a van for a couple of years waiting, but in reality it will be a while before a campervan conversion model is available and the current Buzz platform has much less space for that conversion than the Transporter. So I reckon I'll get a good 5 years out of the new Transporter after which I will likely look at electric vans. I also think that my Transporter conversion will hold it's value pretty well over those years, there will still be demand for diesel vans.

So I popped into the Tesla store at Cribbs Causeway today, they had a white / 19s Model Y on display. A few observations:
  • Getting another look at the MY in the flesh reaffirmed my view that it looks proportionately better (to my eyes) than the M3 I currently have. I like it, which is just as well as I've ordered one. :)
  • The MY really suits the white paint, it looks good with the black trim. I even pondered switching my order from Blue but realised that I'd end up getting sent to the bottom of the order list and my June delivery would more likely be September. So, sticking with the order I have but I really liked the white.
  • They showed the 19 inch wheels with and without the Gemini covers. I liked the look in both cases so will likely stick with the covers for the range benefit. I was thinking I may end up powder coating them black or buy the Rimetrix rims, but I don't think I'll bother. They look fine.

Reactions: kcrane
So I popped into the Tesla store at Cribbs Causeway today, they had a white / 19s Model Y on display. A few observations:
  • Getting another look at the MY in the flesh reaffirmed my view that it looks proportionately better (to my eyes) than the M3 I currently have. I like it, which is just as well as I've ordered one. :)
  • The MY really suits the white paint, it looks good with the black trim. I even pondered switching my order from Blue but realised that I'd end up getting sent to the bottom of the order list and my June delivery would more likely be September. So, sticking with the order I have but I really liked the white.
  • They showed the 19 inch wheels with and without the Gemini covers. I liked the look in both cases so will likely stick with the covers for the range benefit. I was thinking I may end up powder coating them black or buy the Rimetrix rims, but I don't think I'll bother. They look fine.
friend has the Y in white with the black 20" and while I am not generally a massive fan of white ( though i have a white M3 :) ) I have to say I think it is a really nice combination since everything is either black or white. Probably works better as a combo than the MSM with black trim and 19" wheels I have ordered, but at least I won't have to clean mine as often!

Fingers crossed we have a hassle free experience but the new van warranty and cover provides some reassurance. I actually wanted to hold out for the Buzz and put off buying a van for a couple of years waiting, but in reality it will be a while before a campervan conversion model is available and the current Buzz platform has much less space for that conversion than the Transporter. So I reckon I'll get a good 5 years out of the new Transporter after which I will likely look at electric vans. I also think that my Transporter conversion will hold it's value pretty well over those years, there will still be demand for diesel vans.

Ah a Transporter, that is different. I thought you meant a "Campervan":

I read a lot of comments about dog carrying capability so that's certainly a significant element for the Y attraction. The only dog dog that's been in the boot of my 3 was as a favour to a neighbour when the poor thing had died and needed to be transported on its last journey ... obviously you couldn't put a live one in there.
Might want to put the next deceased dog you transport in the Frunk (or do you call it the Froot in the U.K., never really knew)

Old ones, yes. They're lovely things, but antiques.

Newer ones though? Our T5.1 has been absolutely bomb proof, both as a vehicle and as a financial fluke. Last year it was worth more than we paid for it, and it's not a new vehicle by any means. Calais to Spain in a single stint without a hiccup. Multiple trips around Europe without worry. We've done one coil pack, one or timing belts, and regular oil changes, one brake calliper, that's it. :oops: As it stands currently, I don't think the Buzz would ever be able to replace our 5.1, just on sheer practicality. Most likely outcome is we keep it until it dies and at that point have a battery and motor dropped in it.

We have spent a small bloody fortune on having panels repainted numerous times though because it's an absolute magnet for car park morons.

The Buzz does look very interesting. I have no doubt the Buzz will eventually replace VW's current California though. It will tick all those boxes at some point.

Last edited: