Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Powertrain warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know what the Tesla Powertrain warranty of 120k miles covers? Tesla full warranty is only to 50k miles but Powertrain warranty is to 120k miles on LR and Performance. So, I wonder what happens if the AC compressor goes out after 50k miles? The AC compressor is not just used for interior cooling but also for battery cooling.. I'd assume that battery cooling is part of the powertrain.. Am I wrong? Just wonering..

I think Tesla would consider powertrain to be limited to the motors and battery to be limited to the pack itself.

Any ancillary systems would likely fall outside the scope of a warranty claim unless it can be proven to be the direct cause of a failure. As always with Tesla, YMMV.

I think Tesla would consider powertrain to be limited to the motors and battery to be limited to the pack itself.

Any ancillary systems would likely fall outside the scope of a warranty claim unless it can be proven to be the direct cause of a failure. As always with Tesla, YMMV.
On ICE cars, parts of the cooling system like water pump etc. are covered under powertrain warranty.. My line of thought is that the AC is part of the cooling system just like the water pump on ice.. Without HVAC, battery will overheat and go bad just like if the water pump goes bad on ICE..

On the Chevy Volt the AC compressor and radiator were not part of the Voltec 100k or 150k (California CARB) warranty. Failure of either of these components would prevent you from driving the Volt. Voltec only included the battery pack, some of the high voltage electronics, the electric motors and curiously did include the Volt's planetary gear transmission. The Volt's gas engine was covered under a 60k power train warranty.

On the Chevy Volt the AC compressor and radiator were not part of the Voltec 100k or 150k (California CARB) warranty. Failure of either of these components would prevent you from driving the Volt. Voltec only included the battery pack, some of the high voltage electronics, the electric motors and curiously did include the Volt's planetary gear transmission. The Volt's gas engine was covered under a 60k power train warranty.
Chevy doesn't call that a Powertrain Warranty tho, they called it a "Voltec Warranty", probably so they could define what is considered a Voltec component. And CARB warranty typically only covered emissions related equipment.

Chevy doesn't call that a Powertrain Warranty tho, they called it a "Voltec Warranty", probably so they could define what is considered a Voltec component.
The GM Voltec warranty was specific to selected electric drive components including the Volt's battery pack, electric motors and some but not all of the high voltage electronics. The on-board charger was covered as part of Voltec but some wire harnesses were not covered under Voltec. The GM EVSE was originally covered under Voltec GM later detemined that this was a mistake in how the EVSE was coded in the GM database, then the EVSE was no longer covered under Voltec. The Powertrain warranty included the gas engine, things like the front axles, wheel bearings.

The point I was trying to make is that on the Volt key components such as the electric AC compressor and the vehicle's radiator were not covered under the same warranty as the Voltec (electric drive) components even though without these key components working your Volt could not be driven, at least not very far.

In the Tesla Model Y if the cooling system starts to fail, i.e. a coolant pump does not work then you will get error message but the vehicle may be able to be driven for short time or distance. The drive unit will ultimately be damaged by insufficient cooling but at the moment the drive unit is operating. If you ignore the warnings and drive the vehicle you will damage the drive train.

The coolant pump may not be covered outside of the standard 4 year warranty but you would be wise to repair the cooling system or stop driving the vehicle until you can fix it. If you ignore the warning messages and continue to drive the vehicle and the drive unit fails Tesla may deny the warranty claim for the drive unit because they will be able to pull logs from the vehicle that show that you continued to drive the vehicle with a failed cooling system.

On ICE cars...
We are talking about what Tesla covers which spell out by Tesla and not by owners.

Tesla has the right to define what it covers and if we don't like it, we don't enter into the contract (don't buy it).
...parts of the cooling system like water pump etc. are covered under powertrain warranty.. My line of thought is that the AC is part of the cooling system just like the water pump on ice.. Without HVAC, battery will overheat and go bad just like if the water pump goes bad on ICE..
That's an owner's interpretation of what Tesla should cover, not what Tesla writes down of what it covers "Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty": No water pump, no AC, no HVAC, just battery and drive unit, not things that are attached to them.

We are talking about what Tesla covers which spell out by Tesla and not by owners.

Tesla has the right to define what it covers and if we don't like it, we don't enter into the contract (don't buy it).

That's an owner's interpretation of what Tesla should cover, not what Tesla writes down of what it covers "Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty": No water pump, no AC, no HVAC, just battery and drive unit, not things that are attached to them.
The debate originally stemmed from the assumption that it was actually called a Powertrain Warranty... There is already an industry norm of what a Powertrain is defined as, and what it comprises. (Yes I actually read the legal jargon because I work with lawyers everyday, so it's part of who I am, lol).

But all this is moot, becuase I went to check on Tesla's warranty booklet, and they don't actually call it a Powertrain Warranty, they have the Battery and Drive Unit Warranty, which is defined as such. So any comparisons with another company's Powertrain warranty coverage is apples to oranges.

That clears it up , thanks!! I never read the actual wording.. I was just wondering..