Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y pre-order value. What do you get for $2,500?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new here and to the world of Tesla. I was just about to make a pre-order payment for a Model Y but it seems the $2,500 investment does not get deducted from the final sales price when you take delivery, but is just for an earlier place in line. Is this correct?

I'm new here and to the world of Tesla. I was just about to make a pre-order payment for a Model Y but it seems the $2,500 investment does not get deducted from the final sales price when you take delivery, but is just for an earlier place in line. Is this correct?

No, that's not correct. It will be applied to the final price.

This is a new process, so nobody really knows the answer. They are answering with what has been done in the past and assuming that will carry over to this "order", rather than the "reservation" that have been done in the past for newly introduced vehicles.

I would be shocked and appalled if it is not deducted from the purchase price. It always has been in the past (in spite of what some said above -- they need to look carefully at their purchase agreement).

I suspect the "order" is just an accounting difference. Something to do with when they can count the money as income to perhaps show up at a different time for them in the process.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I looked at the Pre-Order agreement, it is only about 2 pages long. I think the correct sentence about applying the amount to the purchase prices is this:
"When you take delivery of the Vehicle, we will provide a credit to the final pre-order price of your Vehicle equivalent to the amount of the Pre-Order Payment you paid."

So it appears that the price is locked in when you pre-order the car, but can change if you modify your order. And the pre-order payment (not a deposit) applies to the price of the vehicle. While the "locked in" part is my verbiage, I infer it from this on the Reservation Page:
"Please note that changes to your order could impact delivery timing, insurance and price."