Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y pre-order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey!

Looking at buying a Tesla - tried the model S and was absolutely blown away.

However - ideally my wife would like and SUV style car. The X is way to big (and quite expensive) - however the Y seems perfect.

I’m not in a huge rush (I need it before October 2021 when the new London ULUZ comes into force).

Just wondering if anyone had managed to get information on UK pre-ordering? How soon did the they open for the 3 in the UK after the USA? Anyone been given information on possible UK release/delivery?

Thanks!

I’m not in a huge rush (I need it before October 2021 when the new London ULUZ comes into force).

Good luck with that.

Model Y due to start shipping long range autumn 2020, standard range spring 2021. Thats probably US delivery, possibly very limited numbers. RHD is likely to be much later..

Putting that in perspective, Model 3 started limited deliveries late 2017/ early 2018 (need to double check), in US. In UK, we started getting deliveries late June 2019. Many people who ordered May 1st, were told late June/July for deliveries and still do not have deliveries scheduled for August. All seems to be luck of what spec you ordered then how early you reserved - some reserved back end March 2016 and still waiting.

Yes, there were delays and 'production hell', but I think Oct 2021 is probably wishful thinking.

Last edited:
The first 30 Model 3s in the USA were handed over on 28 July 2017, so a full two years before the first RHD deliveries!

From what I remember this two year delay has been fairly consistent through the various Tesla models - S, X and now 3.

It may get faster, who knows, but my money would be on late 2022 for UK cars.

Don't preorder and no need to rush.

Model Y looks like a great family car, and the 7 seater option looks great. By the time is gets to the UK it may even have Teslas next generation battery pack.

I'm thinking 2022 for RHD mass deliveries?

Reactions: ACarneiro
I started listening to the latest Ride The Lightening podcast. It talks about the earnings call last week on which Elon said that the Y shares three quarters of the parts with the 3 so they expect production to be easier to ramp up. He also reckons they can produce a Y for not much more than a 3!

It will be interesting to see how it works out in comparison.