Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y preconditioning for supercharger behavior different than Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I've been driving my Model Y, I've noticed it's preconditioning for supercharger behavior is much different than my experience in my previous model 3. I couldn't find any similar threads on this here or or google so I wanted to see if other people have the same experience with their Model Y and preconditioning for supercharging.

In my 2022 Model 3, the battery would precondition all the time when the supercharger was the destination. When it was cold outside, sometimes as long as an hour before I was supposed to arrive. In normal or warmer weather 10-15 minutes before arrival maybe.

This is not at all the case with my Model Y. It only seems to precondition when a supercharger is the destination when it's really cold out. Yesterday I went on a nearly 500 mile trip with 2 supercharger stops. The temp outside was around 75 at the start and around 60 at the end, and the battery did not precondition at all. I was able to get a full 250kw though and the charging seemed to follow the normal charging curve as far as I could tell. However at the first stop, the charging page did give me a note that the speed was limited due to battery temp, though the charging speed seemed normal for the SOC and the note went away after a little bit. I have verified that the "preconditioning for faster charging" feature is working by putting in a nearby supercharger early in the morning and watching it activate.

My thinking is that maybe because the Model Y is heavier and has more drag with the same platform, that it operates warmer and so doesn't need to precondition as much? That's the only thing I can think of short of something being wrong with my Model Y. I've had it give me the note about the battery being too cold and limiting charging speed other times when I felt like I've given it enough time to warm up. I've also noticed that my Model Y has the dots in the display much much more frequently than my 3 ever did, and they're there even when I set a scheduled departure.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
Was your M3 equipped with LFP batteries (i.e., a SR)? If so, that could be a reason right there, different warming speeds for charging. My car seems to always precondition, regardless of outside temp, but obviously for colder temps, it precons for a much longer time. I've also noticed that it will precondition on and off throughout the drive prior to charging, not just right before I get to the charger. Not sure if that's newer behavior based on an update.

Was your M3 equipped with LFP batteries (i.e., a SR)? If so, that could be a reason right there, different warming speeds for charging. My car seems to always precondition, regardless of outside temp, but obviously for colder temps, it precons for a much longer time. I've also noticed that it will precondition on and off throughout the drive prior to charging, not just right before I get to the charger. Not sure if that's newer behavior based on an update.
No, the Model 3 was a long range, so as far as I understand they have the exact same battery, which is why I'm confused about the different behavior.

I believe the car only shows the preconditioning message when it needs to spend additional energy to warm the battery. It might still be warming the battery with excess heat from the motors etc without actively generating additional heat if it thinks that will be enough. By additional, I mean run the motors in the "inefficient" way to generate heat. I've seen that message disappear on my 3 sometimes and I could see the car continuing to keep the battery toasty in ScanMyTesla. If you were not routing to the supercharger the car would cool down the battery so it knows what's going on, it's just not spending extra energy for it.

Reactions: arichard2401
I suspect they have also improved the SW in the interim between your last update on your M3, and the current version on your MY. You mentioned that you're getting full power relatively soon after plugging in; that indicates that your battery is warming sufficiently.

Reactions: arichard2401