Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y: Predictions

What will be unique about the Model Y? Select any or all

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the potential is there to be able to sacrifice range for a more traditional/useful rear body shape. In the Model X, Tesla was still short on battery supply and could not afford to "waste" battery power on a less efficient shape. Now they can give up a little of the M3LR range to make a real SUV, rather than a crossover. Needless to say, there will be no SR version of the MY.

I predict that Model Y have approximately the same footprint as a Honda CR-V or Acura RDX. The CUV form factor will allow it to have rear seats that are comfortable for long trips.

Model Y will be more important to Tesla’s growth than Model 3.

And it will have strong enough FW doors that it will be able to fly short distances. Also comes with a free unicorn, which will be totally awesome!

IMO it will probably be like the X is to the S.
-Slightly more bloated body, rest will stay the same. Maybe a bit more aggressive and SUVish looking, than the X.
-Tow hook will come and probably AWD standard.
-I guess only 5 seats, but a more usable trunk, than the Model 3.
-No FW doors, I think they have learned their lesson.
-Interior will be a lot like the 3.
-Range will also be comparable to today's Model 3 (maybe a bit higher?) but naturally a bit lower than the Model 3 at that point.

-No FW doors, I think they have learned their lesson.

Well, you certainly could be right about this but I can also imagine Elon saying "Our Falcon Wing doors on the Model X are one of it's best features, every new customer loves them and now that we've worked out all of the issues on the doors they're extremely reliable!"

Maybe.

Reactions: Olds442 and R.S
Well, you certainly could be right about this but I can also imagine Elon saying "Our Falcon Wing doors on the Model X are one of it's best features, every new customer loves them and now that we've worked out all of the issues on the doors they're extremely reliable!"

Maybe.
The Model Y will face more competition, so best price, best range, lowest weight... and best performances, would be more and more crucial.

Jaguar I-Pace Faces Off Against Tesla Model X In Drag Race. Who Wins? | CleanTechnica

Jaguar I-Pace versus Tesla Model X - 0-60 .jpg

Last edited:
If it insists on the falcon door shenanagins or derivative thereof I can't think of a better way to jeopardise the whole "Part Deux" plan. Keep it simple is the key, the market wants an electric SUV NOW they don't give a toss about falcon doors.

• Love
Reactions: Sean Wagner
If it insists on the falcon door shenanagins or derivative thereof I can't think of a better way to jeopardise the whole "Part Deux" plan. Keep it simple is the key, the market wants an electric SUV NOW they don't give a toss about falcon doors.

Was part deux the one where they mention the 2020 supercar? Or was that part treux?

1) Sports car
2) cheaper Sedan
3) even cheaper sedan
4) solar
5)super car

Whilst they could put Falcon Wing doors on the M-Y they need differentiation to the M-X to charge more / keep selling it.

e.g. M3 doesn't have as big a battery-option as MS ...

... I can't see M-Y having the Goodies that are currently found in M-X.

I don't know how much Tesla wants to be in the rock-bottom-price market. As long as demands exceed supply they are better off pitching at higher-margin ... so they may be way-away from no-frills models; So my guess is "some frills" in the next generation of models, but nothing that encroaches on M-S / M-X.