Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Premium Connectivity and Sirius XM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bobfitz1

Supporting Member
Sep 24, 2012
Ludlow, Vt
I looked through a few of the existing threads relating to Sirius XM and didn't see one that addresses my question directly.

My MYP was delivered last month. It has the month of free Premium Connectivity and I've just updated to continue PC.

With PC I can stream Tidal through the car's internet connection, which sounds great btw. Is there no way to stream Sirius XM
using the car's premium connectivity?

I would like Sirius XM as another audio source controllable on the Center Console. Model Y's don't come with electronics to get Sirius XM satellite signals.
If your phone plan has unlimited data, you can download Sirius XM and presumably the phone can stream SXM data to MCU by it's bluetooth connection.

But I have yet to see any way to add SXM to the Console audio options. Tidal is already there and works.
I've tried to get this answered by my nearest service center to no avail. I've been told there is a way to get other streaming options on the list of available audio options but
I have tried and no such larger list of streaming apps is presenting.

It doesn't make sense to have to control SXM on the phone rather than on the center screen. Does anyone know how to get this to work?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reactions: StayGreen
There is no way to get other sources on the screen that are not there. If you want to listen to other sources, you have to stream them from your phone the way you are doing. There is no option to add sources other than whats there like SirusXM (or apple music, or amazon music, or any other source that isnt already there).

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
I just stream from my phone when I listen to XM. I rarely listen to Spotify, but since its included and I pay for the PC, it has been great. And then when I want to hear something on XM I just stream it from the phone via Bluetooth. One day maybe they will add it.

Reactions: SWIPE
I just stream from my phone when I listen to XM. I rarely listen to Spotify, but since its included and I pay for the PC, it has been great. And then when I want to hear something on XM I just stream it from the phone via Bluetooth. One day maybe they will add it.

Many thanks to you and the other members who replied to my question. I did try the link posted by @wkramer28451 and found Amazon has a Prime member deal on one of these Alexa in car boxes. Twenty bucks is cheap to give Amazon Music Prime a try. I already pay for Prime.
I wanted to pass along that I spoke to a very knowledgeable and nice Amazon rep and confirmed that most CDs that I've bought at some point from Amazon can be found by Alexa and streamed. That will be a great addition.

I have been trying Tidal and at least on the MY console it really fights my finding an album and playing all the songs on it. It generally plays one song and then moves on to some other selection. The sound of the content is however first rate.

Thanks, Bobfitz1

Reactions: BitJam

"Included"? Are you saying Spotify is included with Premium Connection, with no subscriber fee??

I got rid of my Sirius subscription last month after 20 years or so. Tune in is a lot better - the music doesn’t repeat as often and I can still get cnn/CNBC too.
I would love to know how long that took you - my wife canceled her Sirius subscription while we were driving down to San Diego and it took about an hour. She finally resorted to begging. "Please just let me cancel".... I was dying laughing as the sirius guy was trying to manage our finances for us so he could sell us another subscription.
The music sounds really compressed too in addition to the repeating problem you mentioned.

have you tried using the browser and pointing the XM website? curious if that would work, if you have access to it.
I don't have my 'Y' yet so cant tell you otherwise.
Hey, for what it's worth, I tried this, and it works, sorta. it only works while the browser is front and center. Once you hid the browser window or do anhthing else, the audio cuts out.

I'm working on getting Sirius in my MYLR as well, and going the Bluetooth route. I got a "Roady BT" radio that has BT built in; goal is to have the music start up and play when I get in the car with no commands/input by me. Streaming isn't feasible for me for a handful of reasons.

I had the same question as the first post -- how can you get the Sirius XM satellite signal in your Tesla. I contacted Sirius XM and the only way was to purchses one of their stand alone radios which will capture the signal which can then be steamed by blue tooth to the car's audio system. If you already have the service the units are not too expensive and this way you will not run up your data usage and can capture signals in remote areas.

I hope this helps.

There is a thread on the model 3 boards where people have had success replacing the receiver in the trunk with one from the model X. This is the thread:

Factory OEM SiriusXM nearly working in Tesla 2022 Model 3

Last edited:
have you tried using the browser and pointing the XM website? curious if that would work, if you have access to it.

Hey, for what it's worth, I tried this, and it works, sorta. it only works while the browser is front and center. Once you hid the browser window or do anhthing else, the audio cuts out.

I'm working on getting Sirius in my MYLR as well, and going the Bluetooth route. I got a "Roady BT" radio that has BT built in; goal is to have the music start up and play when I get in the car with no commands/input by me. Streaming isn't feasible for me for a handful of reasons.
I have been thinking about going this route also, because of spotty cell service. I, for one would like to know how "Roady BT" receiver works for you.

I looked through a few of the existing threads relating to Sirius XM and didn't see one that addresses my question directly.

My MYP was delivered last month. It has the month of free Premium Connectivity and I've just updated to continue PC.

With PC I can stream Tidal through the car's internet connection, which sounds great btw. Is there no way to stream Sirius XM
using the car's premium connectivity?

I would like Sirius XM as another audio source controllable on the Center Console. Model Y's don't come with electronics to get Sirius XM satellite signals.
If your phone plan has unlimited data, you can download Sirius XM and presumably the phone can stream SXM data to MCU by it's bluetooth connection.

But I have yet to see any way to add SXM to the Console audio options. Tidal is already there and works.
I've tried to get this answered by my nearest service center to no avail. I've been told there is a way to get other streaming options on the list of available audio options but
I have tried and no such larger list of streaming apps is presenting.

It doesn't make sense to have to control SXM on the phone rather than on the center screen. Does anyone know how to get this to work?

Thanks in advance for any help.
I agree that it is a big problem that there is no Sirius app as a source. Something weird must have happened between Tesla and Sirius, and customers are caught in the middle trying to get the content we want. The best we can do is to request a Sirius app from both companies. If you want this too, you should contact Sirius and tell them to bring the Tesla app back. That’s what I did. If enough customers request th e same thing. We might get some traction.

I have been thinking about going this route also, because of spotty cell service. I, for one would like to know how "Roady BT" receiver works for you.
I have the Roady BT going in my MY and it works pretty well. I just posted some pics for the antenna routing here:

SiriusXM on Model Y

So I have the Roady BT set as the primary BT device for the MY. It works automatically 98% of the time. Sometimes it won't auto connect, so it goes to my phone instead, I have to futz with it, but pretty rare. Almost all of the time, I turn on the car, and it connects and starts playing in a few seconds. The goal was 100% hands off, and it seems to be there. I haven't figured out where to put the display yet; right now it's just sitting sideways in the passenger side for the iPhone charging pad. I was happy to figure out a good solution for the antenna, which I described in the other post.

It also means I have to do change the BT connection if I want to have my iPhone connect instead, for streaming of phone calls or whatever. It's not super bad, but have to go into the BT screen, pick the iPhone, and connect. But I listen to Sirius way more than I use the phone in the car, so it's been a good trade off.

I'm no expert. I've only had my MY for 25 days. I tried the browser for XM and it worked but only while the browser was showing. Switching to navigation causes it to stop playing. I found it easier to use my phone.