Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Price Breakdown (Oregon) Sales Tax?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went ahead and reserved a Model Y yesterday and have been getting calls from the SA to fill out my profile.

I'm setting that up right now and I see the section where there's a price breakdown of the vehicle and the license and registration fees. I'm in Oregon, where there's no sales tax, but in the breakdown, there's $271.46 in sales tax. Anyone know what this is? Screenshot attached.

Any Oregonian in this forum know what the sales tax is? Info is much appreciated!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 9.09.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 9.09.37 PM.png
    78.2 KB · Views: 643
I’m in NJ which is also a no sales tax state for electric vehicles. I’m awaiting the delivery of a Red LR MY and my breakdown of charges is correct and has no sales tax in it. I would definitely call or send an email to your Service Advisor (if you know who it is) and inquire. It could be a mistake. Your fee for “Registration/Titling/Transfer”. Is crazy high too at over $900. I thought my fee of $396 in NJ was high. Definitely find out why there is sales tax although the amount is not that much at $271 and clearly can’t be on the price of the entire vehicle. There could be some loophole that taxes you on the upgrade in wheels or paint color. Look into it. Good luck. Congratulations on the vehicle.

I went ahead and reserved a Model Y yesterday and have been getting calls from the SA to fill out my profile.

I'm setting that up right now and I see the section where there's a price breakdown of the vehicle and the license and registration fees. I'm in Oregon, where there's no sales tax, but in the breakdown, there's $271.46 in sales tax. Anyone know what this is? Screenshot attached.

Any Oregonian in this forum know what the sales tax is? Info is much appreciated!

The half percent sales tax funds the EV clean air rebate program and is charged on all new car sales in Oregon (including ICE). Go to Oregon.gov and search for Oregon Clean Vehicle Rebate. The model Y is eligible for a $2500 cash rebate and this can be increased to $5000 if your family fits the income requirements. You must fill out and submit the paperwork provided at the website. Several months after submitting the correct paperwork you will receive a tidy check from the State of Oregon.

Reactions: MYinBend
The half percent sales tax funds the EV clean air rebate program and is charged on all new car sales in Oregon (including ICE). Go to Oregon.gov and search for Oregon Clean Vehicle Rebate. The model Y is eligible for a $2500 cash rebate and this can be increased to $5000 if your family fits the income requirements. You must fill out and submit the paperwork provided at the website. Several months after submitting the correct paperwork you will receive a tidy check from the State of Oregon.

Great. Thanks for the detailed explanation. Makes sense.

Great info, I was also questioning the sales tax charge.

Yes, $1,125 destination fee is standard. My reg/title was slightly less at $823 (no trade-in), but had $25 processing and $75 doc fee, all in same total plus $100 reservation fee to order.

Oregon has high license registration and title fees. It’s just the reality.

Yes, $1,125 destination fee is standard. My reg/title was slightly less at $823 (no trade-in), but had $25 processing and $75 doc fee, all in same total plus $100 reservation fee to order.

Oregon has high license registration and title fees. It’s just the reality.

I noticed you ordered upgraded wheels, your fee is based off the value of the car. That is why my fee for title/reg is slightly less.

Reactions: wujo

Fellow Oregonian, Like you we are about in same position. I googled the question and learned that " although Oregon does not have a" sales Tax ' they do pose a tax for vehicles purchased out of state. Hmm. When a sales tax is not a sales tax I guess...