Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y price increase another $1,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a LR Y in mid Sept for early 2022 delivery. Thinking about upgrading to induction wheels. Would I get charged the $2k upgrade price or have to class it as a new order so it would actually be $3k (1k price increase+Wheel upgrade price)?

I ordered a LR Y in mid Sept for early 2022 delivery. Thinking about upgrading to induction wheels. Would I get charged the $2k upgrade price or have to class it as a new order so it would actually be $3k (1k price increase+Wheel upgrade price)?
I would just get the car as is first and worry about wheels later. Don’t wanna lose your price lock :)

You also get a second set of wheels.

I would just get the car as is first and worry about wheels later. Don’t wanna lose your price lock :)

You also get a second set of wheels.
Inductions are overrated (I got em & now regret it). Put that $2K towards aftermarket wheels.

Reactions: TomServo
Don't blame Tesla for this move, and every move since the price went down to ~$49K US. Elon has said over the years that Teslas are still 'too expensive', yet the demand far outstrips supply, and they lead the industry in margin, and they are growing at a pace that exceeds all other brands, and they need the capital to build and innovate. Generally, at least in the US, consumers are paying record prices for new cars due to supply chain and inventory issues. At least we don't have to deal with the market adjustment bs from legacy dealers. I have no doubt that Tesla will lower MY prices later in 2022, though, simply because competition will improve, and they should have more factories online, and the rest of the industry should be out of the supply chain crunch.

Don't blame Tesla for this move, and every move since the price went down to ~$49K US. Elon has said over the years that Teslas are still 'too expensive', yet the demand far outstrips supply, and they lead the industry in margin, and they are growing at a pace that exceeds all other brands, and they need the capital to build and innovate. Generally, at least in the US, consumers are paying record prices for new cars due to supply chain and inventory issues. At least we don't have to deal with the market adjustment bs from legacy dealers. I have no doubt that Tesla will lower MY prices later in 2022, though, simply because competition will improve, and they should have more factories online, and the rest of the industry should be out of the supply chain crunch.
The fact used car prices are insanely high helps simplify the decision for those thinking of buying a Tesla since there's no dealer markups. We had four ICE cars between two drivers... we decided to sell 3 of the 4 ICE cars, replacing them with two MYs. Sold 1 of the 3 so far and got $6,000 more than when we bought it 2 1/2 years ago so it was a no-brainer. We bought that one used. We won't be making a profit on the other two though since we bought those new... but at least we'll get well above what usually would be considered top dollar for them.

Is it just a price increase? Does it have any feature change as well?
Just a price change. Tesla doesn't have model years the way a tradition car manufacturer would. They just improve their cars with features and changes through out the year (a sort of continuous improvement approach). Sometimes they may tie a change to an end of year (ex: M3 in 2021 gained the new door panels to match the MIC M3), but I haven't seen that tied to a price change in the past. They added HEPA in July 2021, and did not increase prices at that time (but we have seen price increases across all of 2021, just not tied to any specific change).

Just a price change. Tesla doesn't have model years the way a tradition car manufacturer would. They just improve their cars with features and changes through out the year (a sort of continuous improvement approach). Sometimes they may tie a change to an end of year (ex: M3 in 2021 gained the new door panels to match the MIC M3), but I haven't seen that tied to a price change in the past. They added HEPA in July 2021, and did not increase prices at that time (but we have seen price increases across all of 2021, just not tied to any specific change).
Thank you

Tesla just released the Chademo adapters 2 weeks ago and they promptly sold out. My guess is Tesla is clearing up its Chademo supply chain inventory before they announce CCS adapter as once they announce CCS availability , few or nobody will by the Chademo in the US. Again this is just my guess not based on any inside information from Tesla.

Inductions are overrated (I got em & now regret it). Put that $2K towards aftermarket wheels.
If you don't need a second set of wheels, mint 19's are worth an easy $000 sans TPMS and tires, and there are many better aftermarket wheel options that not only look better but increase range and performance.