Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y price outdated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve noticed the Model Y pricing is behind the pricing structure of the S, X and 3. Like for example, basic autopilot is now included as standard on all models But on the Y. It’s still showing autopilot as a $3000 add on. Surely, that can’t be right to have the autopilot set at a different cost then the rest of the lineup

Elon wants you to buy a model 3 now vs. waiting for the Y. We may see some minor cost changes once the car is available for sale especially if demand is lighter than expectations. Tesla could decide to raise the base price a bit for the Y and have it include Autopilot, If you want a Y, order it and get into the queue. If pricing is reduced before you take possession of your Y, you can get the lower price. So far the car has only gone up in cost.

We can probably expect adjusted and finalized pricing when the Y officially goes into production. It’s over a year away...

I disagree that production is over a year away. Tesla has repeatedly stated that full volume production will begin in late 2020. However, we all know that there will be a 9-12 month ramp up period. With that said, I think we'll start seeing a few Model Ys coming off the line in Dec 2019 to March 2020.

I really think Musk learned a great lesson with the 3 - he doesn't want to go through that hell again. And remember, they can probably build the Y on the same lines as the 3 (like how the S and X are built on the same lines) - so it's really just a matter of getting the stamps made for the 30% difference between the 3 and the Y. And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Y wasn't at 1000 per week by July or Aug of next year. I really think Musk wants to reverse the "late" and "production hell" damage his mistakes caused to his reputation for providing accurate timeline forecasting. He needs the Y to be a "surprise" early. When it actually starts production and actually ramps up has no bearing on this - only the expectation Musk sets for it - and I think he's totally sand bagging on this one.

Obviously I have no source for this and is just my gut feeling.

I disagree that production is over a year away. Tesla has repeatedly stated that full volume production will begin in late 2020. However, we all know that there will be a 9-12 month ramp up period. With that said, I think we'll start seeing a few Model Ys coming off the line in Dec 2019 to March 2020.

I really think Musk learned a great lesson with the 3 - he doesn't want to go through that hell again. And remember, they can probably build the Y on the same lines as the 3 (like how the S and X are built on the same lines) - so it's really just a matter of getting the stamps made for the 30% difference between the 3 and the Y. And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Y wasn't at 1000 per week by July or Aug of next year. I really think Musk wants to reverse the "late" and "production hell" damage his mistakes caused to his reputation for providing accurate timeline forecasting. He needs the Y to be a "surprise" early. When it actually starts production and actually ramps up has no bearing on this - only the expectation Musk sets for it - and I think he's totally sand bagging on this one.

Obviously I have no source for this and is just my gut feeling.
Tesla won't have battery cells to start Y production early. Starting Y production before they have enough batteries to build an increased total number of cars would just complicate production and add to costs per recent comment from EM. (I also thought they might start Y production early before his recent comments about battery availability and the Y.)

Reactions: CyberShy
Musk's last statement on the matter at the recent shareholder's meeting was,

"We expect to hit volume production towards the end of next year. Internally we’re aiming for sooner than that, but we want to have some margin on that timing.

If they want to "hit" volume production then this raises a couple of questions...
1. What number represents volume production? 1000/wk? 5000/mo?
2. When will they start production to achieve volume? Depending on the number above, it's hard to know the answer. "Fall" is when they've said publicly they'd start deliveries.

Reactions: preilly44
Musk's last statement on the matter at the recent shareholder's meeting was,

"We expect to hit volume production towards the end of next year. Internally we’re aiming for sooner than that, but we want to have some margin on that timing.

If they want to "hit" volume production then this raises a couple of questions...
1. What number represents volume production? 1000/wk? 5000/mo?
2. When will they start production to achieve volume? Depending on the number above, it's hard to know the answer. "Fall" is when they've said publicly they'd start deliveries.

Thank you. That was my point. Production will start well ahead of "volume production". Math dude just couldn't grasp that.

Thank you. That was my point. Production will start well ahead of "volume production". Math dude just couldn't grasp that.

Suspect they will release just the high end Y’s at first?
They would rather sell a higher markup vehicle with the same battery pack as a base model 3 LR would they not ( if there was demand for both vehicles and battery packs were the limiting factor )?

Reactions: preilly44
Tesla Model Y Ordering FAQs said:
When will Model Y production begin?
Model Y production is expected to begin in late 2020 for North America, and in early 2021 for Europe and China. Standard Range production is expected to begin in early 2021 for North America, and in early 2022 for Europe and China.

Note that is Tesla time. For the rest of us that probably translates into mid 2021 for NA and early 2022 for the rest of the world. :D

Absolutely. No doubt about it. That will help them recoup some of the R&D money, and pile up some cash.

I just like to point out whenever this comes up that Model 3 first production was LR RWD. LR AWD came next. Then Performance.

So most expensive first is by no means certain.

All Tesla has said publicly is that SR variants and the 7-seat version won't be coming until 2021.

Elon wants you to buy a model 3 now vs. waiting for the Y. We may see some minor cost changes once the car is available for sale especially if demand is lighter than expectations. Tesla could decide to raise the base price a bit for the Y and have it include Autopilot, If you want a Y, order it and get into the queue. If pricing is reduced before you take possession of your Y, you can get the lower price. So far the car has only gone up in cost.

Haven't been following Y pricing. How have the SR costs changed? Similar to SR M3 (only went up $400)?

There are a lot of rumors out there right now (and a couple of articles) saying that production of the Y will begin soon - in small quantities. I'm seriously considering putting my order in now. I think I am early enough to not have to wait a year for it (after production starts), but late enough that I won't get a car that was among the first 5000 or 10,0000 built.

There are a lot of rumors out there right now (and a couple of articles) saying that production of the Y will begin soon - in small quantities. I'm seriously considering putting my order in now. I think I am early enough to not have to wait a year for it (after production starts), but late enough that I won't get a car that was among the first 5000 or 10,0000 built.
There is virtually 0 chance of Model Y production this year. Any such rumors are just overly optimistic people. Tesla has a track record of underestimating timelines, so if they say 2020 use that as a best case scenario.